BBB Accredited Business since 04/28/2014

19 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 7 closed in last 12 months

01/22/2016Problems with Product / Service
01/11/2016Problems with Product / Service
06/23/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

LMCU has failed to honor its commitment to me on several occasions during the dispute process.
LMCU failed to honor its commitment to me when I was told the 1000.00 dispute that I placed against ******** in which they failed to provide the service that I was billed would be credited back to my account within 10 days.

It also failed to honor its commitment to me to credit my account for the 98.57 in which I was charged from *************** who did not perform a satisfactory repair to my daughters ipad and the shop refused to give me my money back.

I want my credits placed in my account as promised.

Ms **** initiated 2 debit card disputes with LMCU. First was in regards to a transaction from ******** for $1000 and the second was for a transaction to*************** for $98.57. Each dispute was reviewed by LMCU. After review based upon the reason for dispute, that the service was not provided to satisfaction, LMCU needed additional information to proceed with the dispute. In regards to ******** the dispute was that the repair work done to her vehicle that she states was not done correctly resulting in the need for additional repair work. LMCU asked Ms **** to provide a detailed receipt of the work done to her vehicle by ******** and requested she provide an opinion from an independent 3rd party stating that the work done by ******** was not done correctly. Ms **** has not provided either pieces of additional information therefore LMCU is unable to initiate the dispute. In regards to the charge from***************, Ms **** has stated that the repair work done to her tablet was not done correctly. We have asked Ms **** to return to the merchant to seek a refund or resolution of her complaint. If she is unable to resolve with merchant directly we have asked that she take the tablet to a 3rd party to provide an option that the repairs were not done correctly. LMCU has not been provided with either an update on the merchant contact or a 3rd party statement, therefore LMCU has not initiated a dispute. Per ********** dispute guidelines when a cardholder is stating a service was not provided to satisfaction the cardholder must first attempt to resolve the dispute with the merchant and if unable to resolve with the billing merchant must provide documentation from a certified merchant that the service work was not performed correctly.

The representative told me in each case that the money would be deposited to my account within 10 days with no mention of the above requests. I want my money returned as initially promised!!

04/17/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Experienced bad customer service from this branch and they did not follow through on their promise to assist me.
I am writing to express my extreme displeasure with Lake Michigan Credit Union today. On Saturday March 28th, I deposited a refund check from the college that I am attending that totaled around $9900. I went through the drive through on the Leonard St location here in Grand Rapids. The teller that served me was extremely rude and nasty. Upon receiving the check, she nastily stated that she was putting a hold on the check and I could not have my funds. When I asked why she said harshly "It's policy, and it will be April 6th before you can access this." When I asked why this would be she said that there was a five day hold. I then pointed out to her that this was not five days, and she snapped back, " I said FIVE BUSINESS DAYS." Well, no she didn't, but that is not the case. At this point I was already angry at having my funds held as well as her mistreatment.

Upon leaving the branch, I immediately called the call center. I spoke with a couple of different females, none of whom I was able to get the names of unfortunately. One finally called me back around 1 PM. She stated that she had attempted to call Nevada, where the bank was, in order to get the check cleared, but that they were closed. She assured me that she would call again on Monday morning, see if they could get the check cleared and she would call me back. She never did.

I then called the customer service hotline this morning and they basically also refused to help me. They kept telling me that I would need to talk to "*******" at the branch who ran the check through, and I politely stated that I did not want her helping me any further because of how rude she was. They then said they would need to get the branch manager, at which time I waited on hold for quite some time.

I have been a member of LMCU for nearly 10 years now. This is unacceptable to me. I wish to see a copy of the written policy that checks over $5000 are to have a hold placed on them, and I want an explanation as to why I can't get good customer service. I have funneled thousands and thousands of dollars through this credit union through the years, and quite frankly, I am ready to leave after the treatment that I have received this week. Also, if your employees have no intentions of following through on the promises that they make to customers, they really should not be making them at all. That is extremely unprofessional. You state that your members are number 1 and that you are committed to excellent customer service. I say that your actions speak louder than your words.

I look forward to getting this resolved and to having my funds released immediately.

I wish for them to follow up, clear my check, and immediately release my funds. I also want a copy of their policy, in writing, about placing holds on checks.

The check hold was placed on hold in accordance with the Reg CC guidelines. Upon confirming the check with the issuer, the funds were released. Ms. ****** was notified via email per her request. Below is the correspondence.

Hello Ms. ******,

The check from the University was confirmed this noon and we have removed the hold from the check. Funds are now available for you.

We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. On Monday morning, I learned of the situation that took place on Saturday . When speaking with ****** (the supervisor in charge on Saturday), she informed me that as the Nevada bank was closed Saturday, she would talk to them on Monday. At that point, it was ******'s understanding that unless the bank would verify the check, the hold would need to stay on and that she would contact you if we could release the hold. We now see there was a miscommunication on our part and that you understood you would be contacted Monday morning either way (whether the check would be released or it if would stay on hold).

We have check hold policies in place to protect the member and the credit union. If we had been able to contact the bank on Saturday to determine its validity, we would not have had to place a hold. We have had many members that have been the victims of fraud, and have experienced a loss when the check comes back as invalid.

Please understand in no way were we trying to inconvenience you. Your membership is important to us and due to the increase of fraud in today's world, we have to be especially vigilant on accepting paper checks. We have had many instances where our best members with direct deposit and a long term relationship with us, were unaware the check they were issued was not a valid one. Our goal is to protect you and the credit union from taking a loss.
Regarding how you were treated, we are surprised and disappointed over the interaction you had with *******. ******* is very direct; it would be out of character for her to express a "rude or nasty" demeanor as you have described. We have discussed with all staff that our choice of words need to be positive, helpful and polite, and to offer members a solution when we are unable to give them their funds immediately.

We did contact you by phone twice to explain that we would be able to release a portion of the funds and that we would strive to contact the University and the bank. You indicated you did not wish to talk to anyone, but to email instead.

We hope you understand a little more about the care we need to take to protect your money and the credit union's.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me directly at the phone number/email below.

******************
Branch Manager / Leonard Branch - Fuller Drive Thru
P: ************ F: ************ ****************************
PO Box 2848, Grand Rapids, MI 49501-2848
NMLS ID# 784212

01/20/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Company is refusing to issue a refund prior to 60+ days of initial transaction date.
Requested to open a checking account on 12/28/2014. Used my credit card (checking account debit card) for the initial funding amount with a total transaction amount of $5,010.00 for account number **********. Received an email on 12/29/2014 that stated I was declined. The email stated that they were going to hold my funds for 60+ days and that if I wanted them sooner to file a complaint with my credit card company. Contacted customer service requested a refund and was advised the same thing as the email stated. First LMCU should not have initiated a POS purchase/transaction till the account was approved; this would have saved me the current issues I'm facing. Second LMCU should not be trying to hold my funds for 60+ days (interest free I might add) for no apparent valid reason.

Below is the email I received from LMCU.
Hello ********,
Thank you for your online application. Unfortunately, we are unable to open any accounts for you at this time. You will be receiving details from us in the mail.
The funding you requested will remain on hold with LMCU until 3/6/2015, which is after the 60 day right of return. If you would like to obtain your funds back, please call your credit card company and dispute the transaction.

Would like my funds of $5,010.00 returned as the money is clearly already in the hands of LMCU.

Unfortunately after receiving your application and reviewing it we were unable to approve your request for membership with LMCU. The funding that was requested posted automatically.
We apologize, but we are unable to return the funding to the credit card directly. We must wait 60 days prior to issuing a refund. We have to wait 60 days as that is the 'right of return' period for disputing a transaction. Waiting the required amount of time will ensure that a duplicate refund is not issued.
It looks like we offered you an alternative to waiting for the 60 day period to pass. To receive your funds back in a matter of days, we suggest contacting your credit card company to initiate a dispute on their end. They will be able to cancel that transaction and the funds will go back directly to the credit card that you used.
As for keeping the funds with us, the money that is on deposit is earning interest while it is with us. If you choose to wait to receive your refund from us, we would refund the full amount that you funded the account with originally, plus any interest that has accrued in the meantime. Interest would accrue until the day that the funds are withdrawn. The interest rate would be the rate for our Max Checking account which is at 3.00% APY.
If you have any further questions, or if you choose to keep the funds with us, we invite you to contact us through email at members@lmcu.org or by calling our Member Services Department at 800-242-9790 x 9910.

Lake Michigan Credit Union

Better business practices by any organization that has this policy would be to review the application and then, only once approved, process the fund transfer.

11/25/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

mortgage documents required
i had requested numerous times via email and phone calls about certain documents pertaining to my mortgage with no response from lake Michigan credit union. already been a victim of fraud by my own bank and sued them and WON over it and i have no problem taking further action against my own bank for refusal to help me with the documentation i requested to pursue other people that breached a contract with me.

the documentation i been requesting on.

I apologize that Mr. ******** experienced poor customer service on his loan. I do recall that it was a difficult transaction and that Mr. ******** requeted to work with different real estate agents as well as loan officers throughout the process.
I have checked with the parties involved with Mr. ********s transaction and no one is aware of any documentation that Mr. ******** has been requesting. It is unclear from this complaint what he would like as the desired resolution. I would be happy to help Mr. ********.
I have attempted to reach Mr. ******** via phone but the number we have on file for him goes to voicemail and gives a message that the voicemail has not been set up. I will attempt to reach via email and see if we can connect this way.

Still never recieved any response or acknowledgement about sending the documentation ive requested after i responded to an email that was sent to me after this case was opened

LMCU has attempted on several occasions to resolve the issue with Mr. ********. Prior to this BBB complaint Mr. ******** had filed a small claims lawsuit against LMCU. We responded appropriately to his attorney and the suit subsequently was dismissed by Mr. ********. I have emailed Mr. ******** on several occasions asking exactly what documentation it is that he is specifically looking for. He has not been clear in his requests and as such we have asked that any future requests for documentation be submitted by his attorney to LMCU.

LMCU did not try to resolve this at all. they just ignore my attempts. the vice president is actually lying in regards to several attempts and i will be passing this along to their boss with sufficient evidence. i shouldn't have to hire an attorney and cough of thousands of dollars in fees to get information by my own mortgage and as such i will be filing another law suit against LMCU over this matter and for all the other damages that have occurred since this.

11/20/2014Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

I had account that went overdraft for one of the first time at the bank. Well, I take to one of their employees and ask them about ways that we can get this account back current. Well, the lady suggested that their was two options that I get the account active immediately or the bank can give me a loan to get my account active and I pay monthly. Well, I never agree to anything I just ask her how much would payment will be. However, she never responded back to me. Well, time went on and they did not contact me or email and I have been willing to work with them. I realized that they never contact me because they wanted to imply that I ask for the loan. They have reported on my credit making look like I had credit line that I defaulted on. When I have been talking with them and trying to come up with option to solve the issue. I feel that they took advantage of me and that they are organization that does not care about consumer they serve. MY experience at this bank has been nothing but horrible. Instead of teaching their member how to grow their money and be comfortable at their bank. They make them did ultimate damage and report on your credit and chexsystems. For a mistake that most people make and hardworking people are willing to fix. I never got anything in the mail or anything that explain that they were willing to help me solve this solution.

I will like them to remove this report from my credit report and chexsystem.

Contact Name and Title: ***** *******
Contact Email: **********************
*** ****** went into a negative in her checking account on July 18, 2014. Lake Michigan Credit Union has a policy that within 90 days the Member must bring the acccount back to a positive balance or Lake Michigan Credit Union considers the account uncalletable and then charges off the account. Upong going negative on 7/18 Lake Michigan Credit Union made the following attepmts to correct the problem with the Member:
1) Aug 12, 2014 - Left Voice Mail
2) Aug 20, 2014 - Left Voice Mail
3) Aug 20, 2014 - Sent Letter
4) Aug 20, 2014 - Member contacted & advised would bring account current on Aug 28, 2014
5) Sept 2, 2014 - Payment was not made - Left Voice Mail
6) Sept 4, 2014 - Left Voice Mail
7) Sept 5, 2014 - Left Voice Mail
8) Sept 8, 2014 - Left Voice Mail
9) Oct 7, 2014 - Left Vocie Mail
10) Oct 8, 2014 - Member calls and wants to make arrangements .. Emailed her information on possible loan for negative balance.
11) Oct 15, 2014 - Left Voice Mail
With no resolution and the account going over 90 days delinquent it was charged off at the end of October. The amount of charge off that was reported is less all fees in which the Member was charged.

I do not accept this response due to I was willing to work with them . In the email in which I have I told lake Michigan customer service that I would like to make a payment arrangement. She stated that all she could offer was a loan. I asked her how much the payment would be and never heard back frofrom her . Next thing I know they had reported to my credit . When I did everything right. They had no intention of working with me and that why I think they are a horrible bank. There is no telling how many other customers they have treated the same way

Credit Unions