BBB Accredited Business since 01/05/2011

Harvey Auto Outlet

04/22/2016Problems with Product / Service
03/03/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Not notified about one hour grace period, employee told me it was OK to return the car after hours. They charged me two days late fees. Won't remit.
Rented a car from JML Ventures LLC, Thrifty Car Rental for two weeks in Jan.

I called before my rental was due to say that my husband was stuck in traffic (accident due to Michigan winters) and to ask what would happen if I could't return the car before 6p. I told him that I was at a nearby gas station and that I would have it in as soon as he got there. The employee told me that it was no problem to turn it in after hours and did not state that failure to return the car before 6 would result in an extra day's charge.

When I noticed a discrepancy on my credit card I phoned and spoke with an employee, *****, and was informed that I was charged because I didn't return the car in time. I asked to speak to the manager, a ******** ****. She first said that the employees inform all people of the grace period, when I asked her to reconfirm with the employee because I was not notified, she then said he assumed I was close by, thus the notification was not issued. I then asked how would I have known about the extra day's charge if she admits that I wasn't notified of it.

I do not see why I was punished because I was not notified either at the time of pick up NOR the time I called. To add injury to insult, when I received the bill I requested it showed that I was charged for two days, not one.

I have tried to rectify the situation, even called Thrifty Car Rental corporate but was told that they are privately owned and cannot help. I am writing that the nefarious business practices be recorded and any assistance you can render in getting a rightful reimbursement would be most welcome.

To review, an employee did not notify me of their policy, the GM affirmed this yet I was charged TWO days due to their negligence.

The refund for 1) The additional day and insurance because they had the car by Jan 24. 2) The refund for having the car in after hours and insurance (I can provide proof that it was turned in by 6:30p and I'm sure we're also on camera shown returning the car) because as both the employee and GM mentioned, I was not notified.

As always, Thrifty Car Rental has a goal of 100% customer satisfaction, but we also must have policies and procedures that all parties should follow. All renters are advised of their required return time. (We also give a 59 minute grace period to help renters who might get delayed by traffic, etc.) This renter knew what her grace time was, that is why she called @ 5:10 pm on 1/24/14 the day she was to return by 5:16pm to stay within her grace period.

This renter also stated to our rental agent that she was across the street at the gas station and would be here in a few minutes, which would have been within here grace period. (Renter actually did not return vehicle until after our location closed at 6pm and performed a 'night drop' with a customer stated drop off time.)

Rental Policy is printed on the opening contract that the renter must initial and sign. The rental agent also explains the provisions of the agreement. The contact shows their daily, hourly and weekly rate. It shows their pick up and return date and time. It shows if they have mileage charges. It shows what charges are authorized to their credit card. Once the renter leaves our location it becomes their responsibility to abide by the legal contract that they signed.

Our rental agent did notice that the computer charged an additional day on top of the amount due by the renter and we were more than happy to refund the full amount of that additional extra day back to her credit card. The charges that the renter has currently paid are now correct. We have now charged her for the contractually correct amount of her rental.

I was not told about the grace period. The GM Rosemary Cook confirmed this. I was not notified about your policy, not given full info by a staff member yet I get charged due to their error. This business' story changes every time. The wrote a different response to Thrifty, the parent company who notified me that as this branch is a franchise they can not do anything, thus prompting me to make the BBB complaint.

I was NOT notified about the grace period. AT ALL.

Again, it is our wish to make sure each and every consumer of our services is 100% satisfied, but policies and procedures must be followed.

The customer's rebuttal statement only points out that she didn't know about the grace period. If that is the case, then she was would have thought to bring the car back even earlier. (The 'misunderstood' grace period just gave her more time to return the car to our facility before it closed.)

Auto Dealers - Used Cars