In Western Michigan

05/24/2012Problems with Product / Service
01/16/2012Problems with Product / Service
03/15/2013Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Advertisement misrepresented a service

Complaint: They advertise a vehicle for $39.00 down. Also they talk about financing.
I went into Car City on Feb.12th to look for a vehicle. The $39.00 down ONLY pertains to certain vehicles. Most of the vehicles are $39.00 down plus a first payment. The financing that they offer IS NOT financing but a 4 year lease. I did not have a problem with a lease because from what I know of them they offer lower payments and then you can buy them out at the end or get another vehicle. My credit was ruined due to foreclosure and bankruptcy so I figured that at the end of 4 years I would be able to get a loan (which is right now impossible) for the balance. The vehicle that I was interested in had a price on the windshield of $10,999. Imagine my surprise when I was informed that my payments would be $411.00 a month for 4 years. (My son pays alot less than that for a lease on a BRAND NEW vehicle.) Then I could either get another vehicle or pay a charge. For 4 years that comes out to over $19,000. How many times do they expect you to pay for the vehicle? Needless to say I walked out very upset and disappointed. It seems to me that they take advantage of people that are not in a position to acquire a loan on their own due to credit problems.

All of our advertising is truthful advertising. Leasing is a form of financing for a vehicle and as Ms. ***** states in her complaint our vehicles are just $39 down. Every vehicle we sell is just $39 down paid to us and the customer makes their first monthly lease payment to the finance company. In a lease, the monthly payments are paid on the frontend of the month unlike a loan where the payments are made on the backend. I believe the misunderstanding is due to the fact that we have monthly specials where we will pay the customer's first monthly lease payment to the finance company. As stated in her complaint, Ms. ***** was "not in a position to acquire a loan on (her) own due to credit problems" and "(her) credit was ruined due to foreclosure and bankruptcy", because of this she is considered high risk for automobile financing and this increases the rate that she will pay to the finance company and therefore increases her monthly payment. We apologize for not doing a better job of explaining this to Ms. ***** when she was here.

Initial Consumer Rebuttal
They do not state anything about the first month payment in their advertising. All it says is that $39.00 down gets you a car. I firmly believe that this is intentionaly misleading to get people into their business.

Complaint Resolution: BBB determined that despite the company's reasonable effort to address complaint issues, the consumer remained dissatisfied.

Auto Dealers - Used Cars, Auto Repair & Service