Edward Rose & Sons

8 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 2 closed in last 12 months

04/06/2016Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I moved in to *************** Apartments 7/31/15. I had already had several bad experiences with Edward Rose and Sons but due to my job transferring me in the middle of a lease term my options were either pay $2500 to cancel the lease or transfer to a sister property. I didn't have $2500. I was originally scheduled to start my lease 7/30/15 and it was pushed back to 7/31/15 due to new carpeting being installed. I was not allowed to view my unit until 7/30/15. I contacted the property several times in advance for viewing, but was told that I could not view it because the unit was not ready. Upon viewing the unit I was very disappointed because the rent was $985 and this unit had some of the most worn and disgusting cabinets that I had ever saw in any unit that I had rented. I made them very aware of this and was promised in writing that they would be replaced in 4 to 6 wks. I moved out the unit 2/13/16 due to this issue because they at that point still weren't replaced and I was very unhappy with the amount of rent due to the bad appearance of the unit. Upon moving out I have recently found out that not only was my $500 deposit taken, but I also still have a balance. I called the property Manager on 3/18/16 requesting to see the evidence and to be made aware of what I was billed for and she was rude, sarcastic and told me that she doesn't have the evidence and would not give me any solution as to how I would view it. She Also made me aware that I was billed for the replacement of carpet for the entire apartment due to a stain in the living room. I find this tactic to be both unethical and excessive considering the fact that she herself even admitted that there were no stains in either of the bedrooms carpeting. She stated this was due to not wanting the carpeting to be different colors due to age stating my carpeting was not new at move in so it would be hard to match but I have emails showing that my move in was delayed and my viewing due to new carpeting being installed

1) See the evidence of the stains that were so excessive in the Living room that it required replacement of carpeting in the entire house although the manager admitted that no other rooms in the house had damages to the carpeting 2) compensation for receiving a promise in writing that was never fulfilled 3) An apology because I've had nothing but problems with Edward Rose and Son's. I've been mistreated and spoken to in a disrespectful manner more than once. Several incidents of mistreatment

After investigating this claim, the carpet damage charge has been removed.

Issue addressed carpet charge was removed and deposit refunded

05/27/2016Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Cave Crickets infestations and spiders in the apartment for 8 months where I live.
I moved in August 2015, December 2015 I called ************ Apartments to report the bug Issues, I was scheduled for Rose Terminator to treat the apartment I was renting, Rose put down bug traps at the time, March 2016 I reported again the bug Issues in the apartment again, rose put down traps again, then April 2016 I complained again to the office, Rose terminator put down traps, nothing is working I asked to transfer to another apartment I was told my the office staff/manager that I had to fill out an application again, I was given no other options.

I am seeking that Edward Rose and son, ************ apartments early termination of lease, I am very uncomfortable living in the apartment with Cave Crickets and spiders

The Community Manager has made attempts to resolve the insect problem at this unit. However, because the resident is using over the counter pesticide they are unable to additional pesticides. The Manager has offered the opportunity to cancel the lease for this resident with no penalty.

************
Assistant Property Director
********************* ************
*********

I am undecided about the response, I had to treat the apartment myself after several visits from Rose exterminator. I emailed the resident manager at ************ Apartments again May 23, 2016 with dates of May 23, May 22, May 18, 2016 with appearance of Cave Crickets again, Rose exterminator visit the apartment again the apartment was not treated because I treated the apartment myself.. I am moving out of the apartment without penalty from the resident manager

08/25/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Internet service is worse than poor but owned by the same company that owns the apartment where I live so they refuse to slove service issues
I live in *********** apartments in **************. Owned by edward rose, also owned by edward rose is bloom broadband. They do not disclose this relationship when you sign the lease which is deceptive in itself. You are not allowed to get internet from another provider you must use the edward rose owned bloom. The package i signed up for is speeds of 25 mega bits per second (mbps) download. I began in January of this year testing my speeds on equipment I have purchased. I have never recorded a speed faster than 700 kilobites per second. I am sold a package of 25 mbps speeds and have never even acheived 1 mbps. Contacting bloom customer service is a waste of time. In january I was told the problem was my router. I was told the router would not accept a firmware update. This was only after being told 4 different answers for why my service was so awful. I went out and purchased a top of the line router and still have the same issues. In may of this year I paid to have a motorola service tech look at my router. The results show my router works perfectly. The problem is the service. The internet drops hourly, meaning you cannot go a full hour without the service going out from 30 seconds to 5 minutes minimum. The speeds are so slow sometimes I give up because it is too frustrating to even use. Bloom refuses to send a tech out. Claims the problem must be on my end. After talking with my neighbors we all have the same issues. Is it reasonable to say that every person in my building has problem routers? Or is it more reasonable to say the issue is the service, every reasonable person would agree its the latter. When i call the *********** office to complain they say they cannot help me and apologize but agree with me "we know the service sucks" i was told. But i was given no way to resolve my issue. Now that i know edward rose owns bloom everything makes sense. They are essentially stealing peoples money without providing a service. In 2015 internet is a basic need and they should be forced to provide what they claim they will. Since my many attempts to solve this have fallen on deaf ears at bloom and *********** this is my only recourse.

I want bloom and edward rose to provide internet services i pay for every month or allow residence to seek out different providers.

Contact Name and Title: Michael W******

**********************
Via: ***********************
BBB CASE # ******** - Sent via BBB Online Complaint System

BBB & Mr. ****:

We have received the BBB complaint #******** regarding Bloom Broadband Internet service. Thank you for returning our call from August 5th and taking the time to talk with our Bloom Broadband Technical Support staff August 6th and 7th. We are, by this letter, confirming for the Better Business Bureau our interaction with you and that your concerns have been addressed.

In testing your equipment with you on our calls August 6th and 7th, we did a Wi-Fi scan and determined that multiple Wi-Fi connections in close proximity to your apartment were interfering with your connection and speed issues. During those calls, we assisted you in reconfiguring your wireless network to work with your various devices while experiencing less interference. Our understanding is you are now knowledgeable and pleased with your improved service.

It is the policy of Edward Rose & Sons to review with all future residents the internet and cable options available for their community. Additionally, information is also included in the Acceptable Use Policy incorporated in the application residents fill out to obtain service. Our records indicate you increased your subscription from 6.0 to the 12.0Mbps level in January of this year and, with the adjustments outlined below, are receiving the speeds you are supposed to be receiving. We are currently preparing to launch higher speed packages; however those higher speed packages are not currently available at your location.

If you have any questions or require additional assistance, please call (***) ********.

Michael W******
Director, Internet Services
Bloom Broadband, A Division of Edward Rose & Sons

05/19/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint is against Bloom Broadband which is owned by Edward Rose & Sons. Complaint is mainly regarding internet service that is ripping off customer
I live at ***************************. I was not informed before signing a lease that Bloom Broadband was my only option. It was presented to me as a convenient way to make my payment directly to the apartments. I had never heard of Bloom and was somewhat concerned but I figured if I didn't like it I would switch to Comcast. I only figured out later on my own that my only choice for broadband internet was bloom. Bloom is owned by Edward Rose. Right off this is a huge conflict. Bloom allows 150GB per month and charge over $40. I only figured these things out when my internet wasn't working and I called bloom. They gave one extension. Each month since I moved in, Aug 2013 I have supposedly used 150Gb before the month is up. Time and time again I would call customer service. Sometimes I'm told that 150gb is very little and it's easy to go over. Other times I'm told that I'd have to be using Netflix 24/7 to reach that. I have asked many times to talk to someone who can help, but I'm told each time there is nothing they can do and won't allow me to speak to someone else. They offer absolutely no help. I began keeping track of when I was using Netflix or Hulu because streaming tv uses more gb than just surfing the web. I researched, made sure all settings were as low as possible and i knew exactly what to expect. Netflix uses 0.3gb/hr and hulu is 0.6gb/hr. Of course there can be minor variances. I am able to track my usage on bloom broadband website. It never adds up. In Jan and feb 2015 they cut off my internet about 14th. Odd since my habits haven't changed a bit. Before this with a couple of exceptions they usually cut me off several days before end of month. I called bloom and of course got the run around but i had done a lot of research and tracking. I had already changed my wi-fi password and checked often to make sure only my devices were connected. The guy on the phone was rude, told me to get dsl if I didn't like it. Told me the usual scripted explanations that don't hold up. I told him I would be reporting Bloom to BBB. So when March began & GB were back at 0 I decided to test my theory that they were ripping me off. I ran netflix nearly nonstop, far more than I ran it ever before. As I suspected it didn't add up to previous months. Then I suspected before end of month they'd cut me off a few days before. Again, proven right. Everything was suddenly taking far more Gb & they cut me off a few days before end of month. I tracked it on their website. So there are some very serious inconsistencies. I don't think it's coincidence that I could run netflix virtually nonstop after I threatened to report them to BBB. I fully believe that Bloom is ripping off its customers. Bloom only exists at Edward Rose properties. This company only has customers because of this fact and it's the only option for broadband allowed. This fact isn't told at time of signing a lease. Because of this Bloom doesnt have to provide decent service. Customer service doesn't care, it shows & there is no one to help. They have limited responses to any concern that we have. This isn't isolated to me. Every tenant I've talked to has this problem but no one is reporting Bloom because fear of being evicted. Conflict of interest & how is this not a monopoly? If I could move now I would have already and it's because Bloom is ripping off all it's customers, owned by Edward Rose, misrepresented by Old Farm. By reporting this I fear being evicted but I'm tired of getting no help, being ripped off and lied to.

First i'd like to actually get 150Gb for the overpriced service that is my only broadband option here. Ultimately I'd like all tenants to have other broadband option such as Comcast. I guarantee no one would choose bloom after they experienced it for even a month. Plus with ******* you get more gb for less money, better service in every way. Having been a ******* customer for yrs, I never even came close to going over the allowed GB, yet having same habits for yrs. After months of tracking my gb and knowing what im using such as netflix i believe that Bloom is flat out stealing from customers. I'd like Edward Rose properties to have to explain to everyone before signing a lease that this is the only option for broadband, that only 150gb are allowed and what that really means. I would never have signed a lease if I knew what I know now. They are intentionally deceiving customers on every level.

Contact Name and Title: *** *****-OperationsMgr.
Contact Email: *********************
May 8, 2015 BBB CASE # ********

We have received the BBB complaint regarding Bloom Broadband Internet service. Our Call Center Technical Support personnel called this resident several times on 5/6 and 5/7 and left messages with the return phone number so that they might clarify some questions regarding complaints about her service; however, we have not been able to make phone contact with the resident.

It is the policy of Edward Rose & Sons to review with all future residents the internet and cable options available for their community. Additionally, information (including bandwidth limits) is also included in the Acceptable Use Policy incorporated in the application residents fill out to obtain service. Old Farm residents are able to receive alternative DSL internet and satellite broadband services from other providers. Frontier is the Local Exchange Carrier and we believe they offer both DSL and wireless internet services. It should be noted, however, that most Internet Service Providers implement bandwidth limits, including AT & T, Comcast, Charter, etc. and most ISPs count both uploads and downloads against the limit, while Bloom Broadband counts only the downloads.

Regarding the accuracy of usage, the system tracks the amount of traffic that is downloaded, regardless of traffic type. If the resident believes there are inconsistencies, she may call our Call Center Technical Support at (***) ********. Technicians are available 9:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. EST Monday - Saturday and Sundays from 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. EST.

We would note that during the first eight months of her internet subscription, this resident rarely hit the bandwidth usage limit. Since then, in the last several months in particular, the usage has been higher. She may want to consider upgrading to our new 12.0 Mbps service that is now available at Old Farm Apartments. This service option provides an extra 100 Gb with an increased download limit of 250 Gb (vs. the 150 Gb cap on the current 6.0 service). The 12.0 service is recommended for customers wishing to stream videos, video chat, and download videos.

If the resident would like our Call Center Technicians to check her equipment, please call (***) ********. If the resident is interested in upgrading to the new 12.0 internet service, she may contact her leasing office for more details.

*********. *****
Operations Manager

02/16/2015Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

We are being charged $500.00 for new carpet in our old apartment. The carpet is white and should have just been cleaned, which we paid for at move-in.
We moved out of our old apartment in the last week of December 2014. We now live in another complex owned by Edward Rose & Sons. After Edward Rose completed their move-out walk-though, they told us that they may need to charge us an additional $38 to do a deep cleaning on our carpet if they deem necessary. We were told that if this was the case, we would need to pay the additional $38 before moving into our new place. When we moved into our new place, we were not charged this additional $38, leaving us to believe that additional cleaning was not necessary. One month later, we received a notice stating that we are being charged for carpet replacement in the order of about $500.00. Needless to say, we were blindsided by this. We do not think that it is fair for us to have to pay for carpet replacement because there was no indication that the carpet would need to be replaced. We were not even charged for additional cleaning. We simply want to be treated fairly in this situation. I left 2 voicemail messages for the property manager on Monday 1/19/2015, but I have not received a response. We will not just roll over and pay something that we do not owe.

We do not want to pay for carpet replacement. We would like our account with Edward Rose & Sons to reflect that we do not owe for carpet replacement, and we want them to stop seeking to collect payment for carpet replacement in our old apartment.

To Whom It May Concern,

I spoke with the complainant's wife on January 22, 2015 and provided her with pictures in addition to a copy of the invoice showing the attempt to clean the carpet via email. I promised her that once I received the invoice for the carpet replacement I would also provide that to her. Prior to the transfer we conducted a prewalk to look for damages and provided the residents with an estimate of those damages (the $38 fee he is referring to). Determining final damages is not always possible during this preliminary inspection as furniture and other personal belongings are still in the apartment. Once they vacated the apartment we discovered an approximately 3 foot long reddish/brown stain along the bedroom wall. There was also staining in the entry hallway and dark/worn areas in the bedroom and living room. After an attempt to remove these stains (invoice provided to resident) it was determined that the carpet required replacement. This damage would not be considered normal wear and tear. The term of tenancy was only 1 1/2 years. The cost of the replacement was more than $700. They were charged $490.25 which is a prorate since the carpet was three years old by the time they moved out. ******* and the other leaseholder were not charged the $38 that we were invoiced in an attempt to salvage the carpet. Invoices and pictures can be provided upon request. We would be willing to set up a payment plan if the former residents are not able to pay for their damages in full at this time.

***********
Resident Manager
The Springs Apartments
************

10/10/2014Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

Charged for bed bugs
I was a tenant at Edward Rose and Sons ******* apartments, **** ******* *** apartment **. My lease end August 31st 2014. I moved into my new residence July 25th 2014. Upon moving to my new residence I requested that a manage look over my apartment to unsure that I no longer had my pets there and to receive a phone call when that was finished. That never happened. I turned in my keys August 27th, I was told there would be an inspection process and I request an itemized list of charges/damages if any. After not hearing from them for a few weeks I called the office and spoke with a manager named ****. She told me she would be doing the inspection in the next few days and I asked for her to call me after the inspection of which she agreed to do. I heard nothing from them until I received a statement from the office on Sep. 24th 2014 saying I was being charged $225 for bed bugs (which I did not have there and do not currently have at my new residence, which I would if their claim is correct). I called the office and spoke with **** AGAIN on Sep. 24th 2014 almost a month after I moved out of the apartment. She told me they had a dog sniff out the bugs and that he had indicated that they were there (I have cats and them peeing can create a musty smell just like a smell bed bugs could have). She then told me she would be checking the rest of the apartments in the building to see if there were bed bugs anywhere else (I'm sorry if one apartment has bed bugs, they all do) and that she would call me that Friday, Sep. 26th 2014. I requested that she give me proof of this charge, which she did not. Also in requesting an itemized list of damages/charges I should receive something telling me exactly what and why I'm being charged and the costs. I did not receive a call that Friday or that Saturday so I called her again that Monday Sep. 29th 2014 at which time she told me I was the only apartment with bed bugs. I once again asked for her to provide me with documentation from the pest control business stating what treatment and cost were and she did not give it to me and told me if I was still disputing the charges I'd have to send a letter to the main office in Kalamazoo. If they can not provide me with an itemized list of charges/damages they can not with-hold my deposit, which they are.

I would like my security deposit returned to me in full and the charges of the bed bug treatment dropped.

To Whom It May Concern:

The unit in question was found to have a presence of infestation, directly after the tenant moved out. ******* Apt. inspects all units after move out in order to avoid an outbreak of a large infestation, in addition to correctly evaluate any pending charges. The K9 unit alerted in the main living area during the inspection, thus requiring treatment of the unit. The unit was treated and re-examined by the K9 unit and found to be infestation free. ******* Apt. feels that the charges are valid,since no other unit in the vicinity was found to be infested. This is a single event with no other units affected.

as of 10/9/2014 I have still not received any information on the pest control company used. I have seen the hand written note submitted by the apartment complex with what was done but that is not what I asked for. I am still waiting for a work order, an itemized bill of service, or any other form that would show actual findings and work performed. I'm getting charged for something that they say I had and treated but have not provided any true paperwork on the infestation. The only information I have seen was on the K9 service used. Which seems to be a training facility for guard dogs and obedience training, with only a Facebook page that mentions bed bug detection services available. I moved out on 7/25, they came and verified that my cats were no longer there and the place was vacant as of 8/1 ( to reduce my last months rent to reflect the pet fee being taken off ). Turned my keys in on 8/27 since I had to pay for a whole month I wasn't there to fulfill my lease agreement. their paperwork states that the inspection was done on 9/4, with a treatment done on 9/17 ( almost two weeks after their findings ) and then re-inspected
on 10/2. Now since yesterday I'm being told by their corporate office that this has to be taken care of within 45 days of the lease end which is Friday(10/10/14) or they have to file this in small claims court. ( so that gives me a whole 2 days! ) Even though I didn't get a notice until 9/26 and then a bill on 9/30. Up until that point they had not contacted me on any deposit related issues nor informed me of a bed bug infestation until a month after finding them and two weeks after supposedly treating them.
all I have asked for is proof of the infestation and findings along with a true itemized bill from both companies showing I really had a bed bug problem. then I would gladly forfeit my deposit to cover the costs. But I'm not going to willingly just hand over my deposit along with an additional $25 to cover the cost of something that they just say I had and haven't shown any real proof of.

Apartments