BBB Accredited Business since 01/28/2011

Sturdy Built Trailer Parts

3 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 1 closed in last 12 months

12/02/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Manager had my trailer towed from the parking lot after I was told to leave it to have it looked at.
On Tuesday November 11, 2014 I went in to purchase a new tire for my 20' enclosed trailer. I have had tire issues with my trailer since I purchased it in August, and was fearful that there may be an underlying issue with the axle. I spoke with the manager ***** in regards to this concern and he advised me that it would be ok for me to park my trailer on their premises after hours to have his staff investigate the problem.
I purchased a replacement tire for the one that had gone flat the day before, and a spare rim and tire as well, the bill totaled $262.13. So, late Tuesday night/Wednesday morning (2:00 a.m. approx.) I did just what I was instructed to do, which was leave my trailer for them to look at the following morning. I called the business on Wednesday approximately at 1:45 p.m. to discuss what they had found out. Well to my complete and utter shock, I was informed that they had my trailer towed. Upon voicing my dissatisfaction, the Manager (*****) said that he never told me I could park the trailer on their lot.
I have two locations in which I can park my trailer and the only reason I left it there, one was to have them investigate, and two because I was told to do so.
This tow bill is costing me $195. I asked ***** for the owner's contact information, which he refused to give me.
I am hoping to have the business make this right. Not only did I spend $262.15 on this transaction, but had planned on spending an additional $300 on new tires if they discovered it was just a tire issue, and not an axle issue.
Very very poor Customer Service, and I am extremely upset with this entire situation.

I am asking for reimbursement for the tow expense, in the amount of $195. I think this is a more than reasonable request.

This customer did purchase tires from us, at no point did he ask to park his trailer at our store. Furthermore, there would also be no reason for him to park his trailer at our store, since we do not do repairs. There is nothing for us to diagnose, since we do not employ any mechanics. We only sell parts retail, we do not perform any services whatsoever.

He did apparently decide to park his trailer in our complex (we are 1 of 3 stores in a strip plaza) in the middle of the night; although, not in front of our store. He parked his trailer in front of two other business that share the complex with us. Apparently, the other business owners were not happy with his trailer being parked sideways directly in front of their stores. One of the other business owners apparently had his trailer towed from the front of their store.

To summarize, Sturdy Built Trailer Parts did not call the towing company, did not sign the paper work for the towing company, nor participated in anyway in the towing of this customers trailer (why would we tow a customers trailer?). We had nothing to do with this in anyway.

04/26/2013Delivery Issues | Read Complaint Details

Two day delivery takes 3 days minimum
I placed an order and paid $40 for 2 day delivery. The order was placed on Wednesday. The product was picked up on Thursday. Even though I paid for 2 day delivery, I was told the pick up day doesn't count in the 2 day window, so the product won't actually be delivered until the following Monday. This was not stated anywhere on the company's website nor on the order form. I spoke with the manager who was unwilling to issue any type of credit or refund for the difference in freight charges between 2 day delivery and standard delivery.

I've already requested a refund or partial credit from the company, not for the entire freight charge, but only the difference in freight for 2 day delivery compared to standard delivery. I was told directly by the manager that they are not willing to do this.

This response was taken verbally by BBB:

I spoke to the customer. Our company policy is clearly displayed on our website. It states that orders placed before noon are shipped the same day. the customer's order came in 2 hours and 21 minutes past the cut off time. The customer's order was shipped the next business day. The customer could have picked next day air. I spoke to the customer and apologized to him that we were unable to meet his expectations. The order was shipped via the service selected which was two air, but for the customer to have received the order on Friday, he would have to have selected next day air. Therefore, we are unable to refund the shipping charges due to the fact we shipped accurately within the specified time frame via the method the customer selected.

01/07/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

on 7-5-12 I Ordered the item through ebay and paypal. Item was damaged when received. Company refused service and wanted me to pay to return ship it.
I ordered one square guide on pole. Item was damaged and poor quality when received. I called the company and spoke to someone at their store. They would refund only if i paid to ship the item back. I stated i am more than happy to ship the item back for them as long as they pay for return shipping. I did not damage the item and i am not accepting or paying for a damaged item so therefore I should not have to pay to return it. if the item was not damaged it would not need to be returned. Since i did not damage it and they sent a damaged item they should pay for the return shipping. At this point i want a full refund of purchase price and shipping charges. damage seems to be factory damage and not shipping damage in my opinion. Also the welds are of our very very poor quality.

Full refund of original purchase price and shipping. If they want the item i have it and will return it they pay for return shipping. Total is $55.99

This response was taken verbally by BBB:

This customer purchased a product off our ebay website in July. He called later and said he did not mean to purchase the guide pole from us and he wanted us to pay for a shipping label to return it and refund the purchase price plus shipping. He said he had multiple tabs opened comparing prices and he accidentally order our product. We didn't send the wrong product or anything he just didn't mean to buy the product. He said he needed a whole guide pole kit and not just the replacement pole. We respectfully declined his request to pay for the return shipping because that is not our policy. We will accept the return but he is responsible for shipping since he mistakenly bought the wrong item. Per our policy, if we sent the wrong item or if there was a problem with it we would pay for all associated shipping costs to fix the mistake. The BBB complaint is the first mention of the product being delivered damaged. The customer first complained back in July and it is now December, they have never brought up any damage to us. He is still welcome to pay the shipping and return the product to us, we will refund a total of $37.00.

First off The item is POOR QUALITY. Does the seller have a response to his item being POOR QUALITY? or his he going to continue to ignore the fact that it is of poor quality. My email message through ebay was premature as it was a result of the item not being in a box and no shipping protection used. So when i received it I was not sure if i was getting everything that i suppose to being that the item was not packaged. i thought that maybe the box got removed or somehting through the shipping process. In the past i had bought an item that came with several nuts bolts etc and the box was dmaaged so it was repacked and came in several boxes with several missing parts. My concern was this may be that same type of situation. So you can see that it was a little strange to receive just a piece of bent tubing with nothing more. So my first thought was "what is this" After the email through ebay was sent i went back and confirmed that the auction did not include hardware or any other item. Which was fine that is not what my complaint is about. my comlaint is about a damaged item that is of poor quality to begin with. After sending the email i inspected the item closer and while doing so I noticed how POOR the QUALITY was and that it was also damaged. The damage appears to have been done by whoever made the product. I cannot see this kind of damage happening through shipping. None the less it is damaged and cannot be used for it's intended purpose making it worthless. At this point i realized i had several problems That is when i called and spoke to the company directly. As for ebay and paypal i was not aware of the their buyer protection etc that the seller is mentioning. if he would properly handle the situation this would not be needed.

The original purchase date was on July 6th 2012. The customers original email was that he was frustrated b/c he purchased the wrong product (he admits that he bought the wrong item) and never mentioned anything about the product being damaged (which of course we would have more than willingly sent out a new item). 6 months later (January of 2013), a BBB complaint is filed and we are being told that the product is damaged. The photos that show the tab being bent do show damage to the product. Although the damage that is shown will in no way affect how the product works *whatsoever* we would have happily replaced the product free of any charge had we been notified of the damage. We were never notified of any damage, and the pictures provided now (6 months later) were never given to us previously. Our stated store policy is that any damage to an order must be reported with in 5 days of receiving the order. As a courtesy, we don't normally stick to the 5 days very stringently, (we normally allow up to 30 days just to give customers plenty of time to contact us) but we certainly cannot honor a claim of receiving a damaged product 6 months after the order was shipped.

In regards to the "poor quality" of the product: It is a 1.5" x 1.5" piece of square aluminum tube that is bent in a 90 degree angle. There is no such thing as "poor quality" it is simply a piece of aluminum square stock tubing. For reference, we sold 200 of these guide poles last year in our retail stores w/ not one complaint of 'poor quality'. We shipped over 300 of the guide poles to customers all over the nation w/o a single complaint. Again, the customer made no mention of the 'poor quality' or 'damage' in his original email about the product back in July of 2012. If these were major issues, one would assume that they would have been mentioned in his original email. Now, 6 months later, they are major issues. Again, had we been told of product damage 6 months ago, we would have shipped him out a new item immediately.

We encourage all customers to contact us and let us know if they are not 100% satisfied with anything that we sell. We are reasonable people who like to treat others like we would want to be treated. If a customer makes a mistake and purchases the wrong product for their application, we are happy to refund their purchase price of the item, but they are responsible for getting the item back to us (either at one of our retail stores, or shipping it back to our shipping dept.).