BBB Accredited Business since 05/23/2012

Firestone Tire & Service

01/29/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Services were not performed correct the first time. Since it was performed improperly, then should re-correct the service at no additional charge.
I have been a loyal customer with Firestone a long time and have had my three vehicles serviced with Firestone. I have used Firestone in Virginia, Maryland and now presently in Florida where I reside.

I had my 2003 Dodge Durango serviced at Firestone on February 17, 2007 in the Annapolis Maryland Firestone for upper and lower ball joints. I paid $862.18 to have this work done. The Durango had 66370 miles when the ball joints were replaced. The Dodge Durango presently has 121,000 miles. In seven years, the Dodge Durango only traveled 54,000 miles. Consequently, the upper and lower ball joints need to be replaced again, although the Dodge Durango was seldom used.

I brought my vehicle to the Firestone located on Executive Circle, Fort Myers, Florida and they advised me that they would replace the parts for free and charge me for the labor. They want to charge me over $600 for labor. This is absurd. Ball joints are not supposed to become worn in a short period of time. In fact, ball joints should last a life time of the vehicle, especially when the vehicle is seldom used.

I am requesting my vehicle be re-repaired due to services were not performed right the first time and improperly with no additional charge on my behalf.

This response was provided verbally to BBB:

The warranty is expressly written on the back of all Firestone receipts and invoices. The parts that he had installed in 2007 have a lifetime warranty from the manufacture. The labor from that service is covered for 1 year or 12,000 miles whichever comes first. The parts were originally done in February 2007, the vehicle at that time had 66,000 miles on it. Now 8 years later the vehicle has another 60,000 miles on it and the joints have worn out again. He was given an estimate to replace the parts with no charge for the parts, only labor. He declined that work.

In response to his claim that it was improperly installed, we can have an inspection service come out and check the quality of work. If they deem it installed improperly then we can cover the entire repair at no charge but if they deem that it was installed correctly he will have to pay for the inspection (roughly $100). The inspection service is a third party company with no affiliation with Firestone.

If he doesn't accept the inspector we can use another mutually agreeable independent auto repair shop to perform an inspection and give an opinion about the installation.