BBB Accredited Business since 08/19/2011

P & R Sod Company, Inc.

8 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 4 closed in last 12 months

11/04/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I paid P & R to prep my yard and lay sod. They used a sod cutter to cut up weeds but left most of the weeds on the ground and laid sod over the top of them. However, my main complaint is the terrible job they performed in laying the grass down. There are hundreds of bare spots that are as big as my shoe and they laid many pieces of sod over the corner of another piece. The result is my yard is full of high spots and low spots and it will never be flat. I have left more than two messages to have the owner, ***** ****** call me so I can address these issues with him, but he is not returning my calls. It seems that the back of the yard is not as bad as the front. I think the installers were trying to beat a storm and just threw grass in a hurry.
Product_Or_Service: Bahia sod

I think this grass needs to be taken up and replaced.

This response was provided verbally to BBB:

The owner did inspect the yard, this is a bahia yard which is a sand based grass. It does generally level itself out after about 30 days. We told the customer to wait the 30 day period and we will reinspect the yard at that time if he is still not happy.

08/27/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Dead poor quality sod
My yard was sodded , several areas didn't take. They said they'd come look at it never did. Now they won't return calls. Alot of weeds also . Sod put down with large spaces between pieces for the weeds to thrive.

Want bad areas replaced.

Went to see Mr. ****** on August 19th. We agreed there were about 15 pieces that did not root in. He said he would like to replace them at his own convenience, and could he just pick them up at the office.We agreed. The customer was satisfied.

10/16/2012Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I have an issue with the sod they put in my yard, company said they would replace almost 2 months ago and still nothing.
I had P&R Sod company replace sod in my backyard in June. Within two weeks the entire backyard was burnt out and they broke two sprinkler heads. I left numerous messages with company and nobody returned the phone call. I finally got a hold of someone named **** and he said he would come out and take a look. **** stated that he was the field supervisor. He came to the house a few days later and stated that we need to water alot more, but the entire side of the yard would need to be replaced. **** said he would be out the next day to replace the sod and the sprinkler heads. It has been almost two months since his visit and nothing has been done. I have left numerous messages and spoke with a guy named **** on at least 4 to 5 occasions since then. **** claims to be the general manager. **** has promised to come out the next day and make sure the issue gets resolved. **** has never come out to the property nor has he had the courtesy to call and let us know he would not be there after we have had someone stay at home on each occasion. I have had the last two water bills of $130 & $230 trying to revive a lawn that we paid a couple of thousand dollars to have put in. I have given this company numerous chances to resolve this situation and they just don't seem to care. Our water bill has always been around $60 a month and we have have paid two to five times that amount trying to fix their bad sod. I have asked for the owners information so I can contact them and they will not give me the info. **** has stated that he would have the owner contact me and iy has not happened. I am tired of different excuses everytime I call including **** telling me that he is tired of me calling.

I would like the bad sod to be replaced as promised, the broken sprinkler heads to be replaced and reimbursement for the excessive water bills. They have had every opportunity to resolve this issue and have not after they say they will. If they do not want to fix the issue I hope they will just refund our money and we will get another company to do the job right. I am not trying to rip them off, I am trying to get what I paid my hard earned money for.

We installed Mr. ******* grass on June 19, 2012. We keep a running log of all telephone calls and complaints recieved in our office. The first call from Mr. ******* was on July 20th, 2012. He stated he had some brown areas but that he had been watering and the grass is coming back. He also said he had a broken sprinkler head. We went out on July 25th,2012. The grass was dry. His lawn is on a community timer for water and only comes on once a week. He stated he watered by hand several additional hours a week. We told him to apply starter fertilizer to raise the nitrogen level in the soil and green up the grass. It's hard to tell just what has caused the problem. His first call to us was on July 20th. A lot can happen in 30 days.It is highly likely that with only watering once a week from the community and hand watering the rest of the time, the new sod just did not get enough water. Also, it would not take a month to realize that one of your sprinkler heads wasn't working. There does not appear to be insects in the lawn. On Aug.30th, 2012 Mr. ******* called again. On that same day we went out and inspected the yard again. The lawn had taken root. It is the customers responsibility to mow and treat the grass.

This response was taken verbally by BBB:

The company's response about the first call being made July 20th is not true. I called ****, the supervisor, the weekend July 4th to report the dead grass. He came out sometime during the first two weeks of July to look and agreed to replace the dead spots and the broken sprinkler head. It was noted after the sod was installed that two sprinkler heads were broken. I have not been able to reach **** since and instead have been going back and forth on the phone with ****, the General Manager. He has never been out to inspect the lawn. We watered the grass every day for about 30-45 days after installation. I have a $200 water bill to prove it. I stopped watering the grass because it did not take root and still hasn't. If someone from the company wants to come out and look today they will see that the grass did not root.

We have been in contact with Mr. ******* and agreed to replace some sod for him. We are having trouble getting sod right now because all the recent rain has made it impossible to harvest from the fields. We explained to Mr. ******* that as soon as sod is available and we can work it into our work schedule we would be out. He was ageeable to that.

08/22/2014Problems with Product / Service
10/29/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Had P&R sod Co, put sod in Holiday FL. front yard on 6\18\14. Which was a week later than they originally told me. My ****** was home the day of instillation and informed me the grass was half brown on pallets when delivered and after installation didn't look much better. When I made contract for installation with one of owners ***** ******, he told me they would leave a packet of instuctions of care with my tenant when he gave them the check. All my tenant recieved was watering instructions, which he followed. I talked to my tenant and he told me the grass was patchy and only half green, one piece of sod was even put in upside down (which he righted) and a patch was missing by driveway I live in Brandon (manage renting house for my cousin) so it was 7 days when I first saw lawn. It didn't look very good, patchy and brownish. My tenant said it looked just a little better than first day. I said lets give it a couple weeks and see. Weeks went by and it didn't look much better and still no instructions were delivered. Every time I called I got excuses of why no instruction package,its in the mail,I'll go by today and deliver etc.. Finally talked to someone 3rd week and told me to use scotts starter fetilizer and cut 4th week. Which I did, still looked bad. Whenever I called and asked to talk to Mr. ****** he was in a metting or gone for the day or out of town etc.. When I finally got to talked to Mr. ****** it was all my Renters and my fault why grass was BAD. He did stop by to see (a couple days after he said) and called me and said to re fertilize and then he'll look again and we could split the cost on what needed replacing then. Really.... I'm not paying anything more to this Company.I have pages of notes for everything I.ve been through with this. It has been 3 months now. Mr ****** was to contact me 2 weeks ago with cost to replace Blvd. Still have not heard from him. I'm done!!!!
Product_Or_Service: new front yard sod

Replace all dead parts of lawn free of charge, Blvd by road in particular.

We keep a running log of any complaint activity that comes in on any of our accounts. It clearly states on our contract that care and maintenance of the new lawn is the customers responsibility. In this case the customer does not live in the house and has to rely on the word of her tennant as to what was or was not done. We understand that she wants to maintain a good relationship with her tennant. But the facts are clear. The yard has a sprinkler system. The tennant chose to spot water the new lawn with a fan sprinkler instead. We don't know , of course, but the tennant is probably responsible for the water bill as well.In any event, the yard originally was watered just enough to root the new grass in, and then wasn't watered properly after that. Our inspection on Aug. 7th, verified this. The soil was powder dry and 60% of the yard was dying from lack of water, however all the grass had rooted in.We left Mrs. ***** a message stating this. On Aug.14th we went out again. The rains had started by than and the grass looked much better because it was being watered properly. On sept. 8th Mrs. ***** called again. We returned her call but had to leave a message. On Sept. 10th she returned our call and we agreed to inspect the lawn again.Once more we went out. We called her back on that day and left a message that even though we were not responsible we would be willing to help out and share the cost of replacing the lawn. Her share would be $460.00. She did not return the call. We feel we have been diligent and more than fair with Mrs. *****. The offer still stands for $460.00. But she has to realize that the new lawn will not fair any better unless the tennant is willing to water and maintain correctly.

First off My Tenant has been at the property for going on 5 years and is very conscientious. He watered per instructions using sprinkler system and waterfall sprinkler. Also I paid Water bill for this period. so no reason not to water.
Mr ****** has made nothing but excuses how my tenant and I are responsible for the crappy lawn they installed (Brown and patchy).
As for the dates he has given he has left out a great many. I called 6/27 talked to guy in office( I believe **** is name),no fertilizer or cutting instructions, he said he would take over today. 7/1 called tenant nothing delivered. called P @ R 7/11
same guy said "it was mailed". 7/16 and 7/17 left messages still nothing. talked to **** 7/18 he said 'Moog mailed it , but I'll deliver today. then gave me instructions over phone to cut after 1 month and fertilize with Scotts Starter. Which I did. Never got instructions still. 7/28 talked to tenant after fertilize and cut looks same "BAD", he also said googled BBB and alot of same complaints as ours.
8/14 talked to Rhyan he said I should Fertilize again and we'll go from there. I called 9/8 2 weeks after I frertilized Talked to (****) told him have Rhyan go look,and also tenant said,"he found that they burried 2 of my sprinkler heads", (****) said he would tell him. 9/11 Rhyan left me message "Patchy spots on main lawn and blvd. is dead, he would split cost with me. I called him back and he
said (I'll run the numbers and get back to you by tomorrow. I said "O.K." but never said I would split cost, just wanted to know what more he wanted to charge me. Never did get a call or message (of $460 he writes about in response to my review), in which instead of any apology he is still taking pot shots at my tenant.
In closing I had to pay for two sprinkler heads to be dug up and replaced. 9/15 my grass cutting guy called and told me my new sod has bugs. I had a lawn care come out and told me its full of chinch bugs...."only new sod, not the rest". I told him I've been having problems with it from day one (half brown from 1st day on) He said from the looks of how bad it is, we've had bugs for months. Just as I said, it looked half dead when I saw it a week after it was put in. So now I'm also paying for bug guys until they can bring it back. Wish I would have called him in the beginning.
So this is why I did not call P @ R again. I'm leaving it in the BBB's hands!!!!

10/08/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Sod started dying after only 2 weeks. Followed all directions and now dead grass patches expanding even more. Called 3 times no one came.
Had new sod installed in March or April. Religiously followed watering and fertilizing instructions. Sod starting dying after only two weeks. Now is spreading over larger patches. I paid $1,200 and now have a terrible looking lawn. I called the company three times and they said someone would come out to look at it. I thought it might be insects or fungus due to all the rain. Spread insecticide and funguside twice over the entire lawn and added more starter fertilizer. Nothing helped. Still no one has called me or come to look at the grass. A terrible way to treat a customer once you have taken their money.

Replace the damaged sod with new sod.

we installed the grass on March 14th, 2013. the first time we heard from Mr. ************ was June 18th, three months after instalation. Since it had been so long since we installed the grass, we did not do an inspection at that time. Instead we advised him of some of the things that could be causing his problem, IE to much or to little water and or fertilizer,or bugs.We also reminded him that our contract states care and maintenance of the lawn is the customers responsibility. On Sept.3 ,6 months after installation,we heard from the BBB that he was unhappy. As a courtesy we went out and did a property inspection. We found that all the grass had taken root,and looked good except for 2 spots.We noticed that he was using a hose and a sprinkler to water the yard. We called and left him a message that perhaps the areas were not getting watered properly.

Only 1 section is watered with a sprinkler, the main area has an irrigation system that is automatic as is the side system. No one contacted me or left a message. The water was more than sufficient, especially with all the rain we have been getting all summer. I even applied Aquatane to ensure moisture retention when the grass was first installed. I have used insecticide, recommended fertilizer and fungicide and nothing has helped. The deterioration has progressed since the second week after installation and is much more than only 2 sections. It is more than a fourth of the entire lawn.

we are sorry Mr. ************ is having trouble with his yard. On March 14th,2013, we installed healthy, living grass for him. If that sod had not taken root and thrived within the first 2 or 3 weeks we would have replaced those areas. It is not a warranty,as such, just company policy.However, we did not hear from him until 3 months later.We have no way of knowing what he applied to the lawn during that time. Our contract clearly states "care and maintenance is the responsibility of the customer".

08/17/2012Problems with Product / Service