BBB Accredited Business since 08/10/2007

Weiler Construction, Inc.

07/30/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

very un professional, sloppy job , crew most carrles
not to code there 6 issues at hand that will shorten and damage my roof he has been paid $11.000
Weiler roofing dropped material in heavy rain parked the trailers on my grass from Wednesday 6/3/15-6/8/15 with out working on the roof due to heavy rain.the trailers were parked in front of my bedroom window the crew just showed up with out letting me know.
Monday the crew started the crew mostly was non English speaking and parked all over my grass
My tenant and my air conditioner was not covered and the men just trough rocks and debrie from the roof on to the air conditioner.The whole jard and street was full of debri at one point when I enterd my home there was nail in my dining room celling there was wires debri tools laders everywere nails were not picked up
my neighbors who never complain and my tenant all were very upset over how the workers conducted themselves and the job they were doing
spoke with walter several times about the condition and the way he was conducting putting on my roof
the inspector did not pass the inspection the first time I have spoken with her and she felt very bad that in Sarasota you don't have to get a final inspection
I asked two men that I trust to walk with me the perimeter of the whole house to check the roof Walter was rude and very defensive I have photos of all the concern,he showed up with his for men that did avery sloppy job on tarring the edge that we could lift up
Walter pushed very heavily for his payment
I had payed him $5000 and another $6000
He wanted to be paid the rest and I told him I saw wet spots on the walls he finally backed off but I did not trust his job and hired a additional very established roofing company to inspect the work
1)Lead collar missing at power mast
2)starter shingle is not set in bed of roofing mastic
3)drip edge on flat roofs do not appear to be primed areas on edge not stuck and can be picked up
4)spot on intersection of 2 back flats is not tarred down
water is under rubber
5)front small flat roof has a negative area were shingles meet.The bottom row of shingles should have been eliminated
6)Tar on top of shingles were workers stepped in tar.
I have written Weiler 2 e mails and spoke with him today to make this situation right he was supposed to answer to my e mail and he was again extremely rude and asked me if I am a roofer completely putting me down as he has through this whole job.
Had written him the exact step,s to remedy this situation and my expecting him to deliever a complete and up to standard roof
I have photos of everything and will seek legal help since Weiler things since I am a single women that he can intimidate and bully me.

want to hire a different roofer that is trust worthy to repair the un completed job
to check on the work that Weiler did because it is very noticeable that the roof was not done to any kind of standar,s
1)remove shingles around power pole and install new shingles
2)raise starter shingles and install tar over drip edge and peal and stick and set starter shingles into tar
3)All edges on flat roofs that are loose need to be tarred down
4)1 spot on back flat overlap that is loose,dry out and tar down.
5)remove 1 row of low shingles along front flat that holds water.fill in low spot and install modified single ply.leave off bottom row of shingles
6) remove shingles through out roof that have tar on them and install new shingles
I spoke today with Weiler and he pretended that he had not received my 2 emails and photos I resnd everything and he had a chance to reply and correct everything I am now seeking that he pays for another roofer to fix the issues in a professional manner

I, Walter Weiler, of Weiler Construction Inc., am replying to a complaint made by ****** *****. I would like to apologize for creating any stress and feelings of unprofessionalism from Weiler Construction Inc. In regards to yard/ debris complaint, I am unaware of any yard damages and we asked for access as needed per contract. although there was considerable dust and dirt, since existing roof was an old style, rocks and gravel product. Please note that ****** Construction also replaced 40% of fascia board, creating additional debris and removal of old soffit on these areas. Ms. ***** also requested the removal and disposal of an old 15'x20' wood deck on rear of house. In regards to roofing screw penetrating dining room ceiling, I met with Ms. ***** prior to installing roofing over dining room area, which is a flat roof and roof decking is exposed to interior of home. We agreed to attach ISO board product, taking extra precautions and trying our best to hit main frame rafters, knowing that some screws would need to penetrate dining room ceiling to meet building code. The A/C unit was covered with lumber by employee, Juddixo, to protect as needed. The A/C unit incurred no damages. In regards to the failed inspection, inspector arrived prior to installation of an appropriate number of shingles and roofing. It was not failed, based on workmanship errors. When Ms. ***** noticed all the soffit removed for wood repairs, she requested we reinstall immediately, due to fear of rodents. I spoke with the owner on this issue and informed her that her roof must be watertight prior to spending time on soffit. At that point we agreed to dispose of mixed soffit pieces and replace with new matching product, on front portion of house along with new custom fascia on complete perimeter. After project was 95% complete, Ms. ***** contacted me with a few concerns and requested that I meet with her and two other builders, which we did the following day. I took one of my most experienced employees with me to review issues with us and complete all roof concerns that very day, which included caulking of aluminum fascia joints and resetting nails on soffits. In addition, they noted peeling paint and texture on porch ceiling which was there prior to our arrival. In regards to payments, we only sent invoices per agreed upon contract. Although, I did wait until project was complete to receive final roof payment. The majority of the additional costs are still outstanding, in the amount of $1,500.00. Upon completing all items noted per meeting, Ms. *****, pointed out a ceiling stain that she assumed was a roof leak. I sent an employee to her house the following day to address the ceiling concern, which was found to be an old stain with no presence of moisture. On July 6th, 2015, per text message received from Ms. *****, the owner requested more time to verify the stain was not new and also asked for my understanding of project amounting to a large sum of money. I replied by agreeing to wait an additional two weeks to be sure about stain and her satisfaction. Her response was; thank you Walter, for understanding. Approximately two weeks later, I received an email with pictures and defensive remarks on our workmanship and professionalism. I did reply, via email and phone call upon reading said email and asked for a meeting to resolve these additional issues, which prompted Ms. ***** to place a complaint with the BBB. In regards to those issues; 1. No lead boot around power pole(my response to this is, lead boots would need to be cut in order to install around riser pole, making seal dependent on plastic cement. Weiler Construction does not install lead boots on riser poles unless requested by owner.) 2. Raise starter shingles and install tar over drip edge and peal and stick and set starter shingles into tar.(my response to this is, Weiler Construction sets drip edge prior to self-adhesive underlayment along with setting pre-ordered starter shingles in roofing cement on all perimeters,) 3. All edges of flat roof are loose and need to be tarred down.(My response to this is, first layer of self-adhesive product is installed below drip edge with second layer applied to top of drip edge with asphalt primer. Tar is not recommended by manufacturer but, should be torch heat sealed if disconnection occurs.) 4. Spot on flat overlap that is loose.(My response to this is, self-adhesive flat roof products have a lap seal zone and an additional few inches, which seals with heat over time. This also can be torch heat sealed.) 5.Remove one row of low shingles along flat connection. (My response to this is, I agree in addressing any areas which have puddling water. 6. Remove shingles on roof with tar on them( My response to this is, roofing cement is a common product during installation of asphalt shingles and this type of flat roof, which can drop on shingles on occasion. Shingles can be replaced or additional matching stone granules can be added to bring shingle back to original color.)
I asked for your workability to meet on site to review concerns and agree on route to resolution and receiving of final payment. Attached is copy of contract and final invoice.

Weiler roofing is not forthcoming with any of the facts,the complaint was about the entire job.
1)airconditioner units not covered
Tenant was almost hit by workers throwing things from roof he could not get open door.

2)I came home and found light coming through celling that's when Walter said what are we going to do about it?
3)with all of the issues that were so sloppy had told Walter about my dissatisfaction about the job he was doing in response he told me I don't know what I am looking at.
4)my tenant and handy man walked with Walter his forman and myself property pointing out to him shingles that you could lift up and in general nails in the yard etc.
5)I have photos and witnesses of all of the roofing job.
6)the real reason I hired a additional inspector is because of Weiler,s additude and when I did ask him to let me see if the wet looking spot was a leak ....he replied that I have a 5 year warranty and I replied to him why would I want to spend $11.000 on a new roof to have leaks?
7)Weiler would have never fixed the Roof to standards and just collected the remaing balance.
ther for I don't trust him an will employee another roofing company and deducted from the bill
8)any one that can do such a unproffesional job especially knowing that I trusted him since he is a friends fiancé.
9)Glad to post the photos and seeking legal council.
10)the email of the inspectors finding,s was send
on July 13th with no response from Weiler
I had to call him on the 22nd of July and Walter told me he gets a lot of e Mails and had to look for the e mail that I send.
in the conversation when I pointed out he was just going to leave the roof as is he asked me "are you a Roofer???
That is what made my final decision that as a client his rudeness is not appropriate.
Weiler showed up at my home on the 22nd of July knocking and ringing the door bell after I had clearly stated my position.
In my e mail from the 13th of July I had given him a chance to make things right,with out a response.
Happy to post any photos or have witness come forth on the matter