BBB Accredited Business since 11/13/2009

Schleman Plumbing Service, Inc.

01/07/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I noticed leaks in both water supply and drainage of kitchen sink on Saturday evening. After recommendation by my neighbor and also after checking BBB's website, I called Schleman Plumbing Service Inc. on Sunday (around noon). They told me a technician will call me shortly. Someone called around 01:00 pm. I explained the situation and asked what would be the fee for Sunday service and what would be the fee for Monday service. He explained that additional fee for Sunday was $30 more and I said that would be fine. He then explained that when not emergency / flooding etc. their office did not like work done on weekends and he told me someone would call me at about 8:00 am and they would be here on Monday between 10:00 am and 12:00 noon. I said that would be fine. On Monday morning, I patiently waited for the call from 08:00 am to 10:00 am. No one called. At 10:00 am, I called to inquire an explanation. As I was explaining the background of the situation the lady, whom appeared to be the business owner, interrupted me and said just give me your name and address. I gave my name and the address and she said that she did not have me in her service list and she said whether the problem happened during the holiday. I was frustrated and replied that what do you mean the holidays ? This all happened yesterday and if she wouldn't interrupted me I was explaining it to her. She rudely replied "I don't like your attitude and I don't want to do your job. Go find someone else". Then she hanged up on me !
Product_Or_Service: Plumbing Service

If BBB take care of this fast enough (before I ask someone else to do it). I expect a written apology, discount because of distress they caused me (I have been washing dishes in the garage !!!) and full immediate service (ASAP).If by then I have taken care of it by asking someone else to do it, then I leave it to BBB to take care of it. She is your problem as she boldly advertise BBB logo on her website !!!

This response was provided verbally to BBB:

The customer called in our Saturday to our answering service. Many times customers believe they are scheduling an appointment when in fact they are just leaving a message for a technician to call them back. This customer assumed he made an appointment and when he called on Monday he was upset. We tried to assist him but he was yelling, at that point we decided not to service this customer. There are many other plumbers in the area who can service his needs.

The response does NOT present the exchanges and it is intended to mislead. 1. I called on Sunday & I did NOT presume I am making an appointment. 2. I got a call back from the technician on Sunday. Unlike her boss that talked to me on Monday, he was polite and courteous. He said Sunday service would be $30 more. I said while it was not an emergency that would be fine. He said when it wasn't flooding etc. their boss did not like they do non emergency work on weekends and someone would call me on Monday at 8:00 am and someone would be at my place between 10:00 am and noon on Monday. I said they could call me even earlier (any time after 6 or 7 am. 3. On Monday, I waited patiently for 2 HOURS until 10:00 am. 4. when I did not here from them, I called. They transferred my call to a woman whom appeared to be the owner. As it is my common practice of NOT assuming people have all the information I have, I politely and patiently were walking her through the background. She rudely interrupted me and said just give me your name and address. I politely and patiently did so. She said she did not have me on her schedule and asked if I called during the holiday !!! At that point I reminded her that if she would not interrupted me so rudely I was telling her that I called on Sunday and I was walking her through the background. At that point she said she had no time until Wednesday and she did not like my attitude !!! and she does not want to do my job !!! and I better take my business somewhere else !!! and hung up on me !!!
What makes it even more offensive is I offered to pay EXTRA for the work on Sunday and it was them that chose to waste 24 hours of my time until Monday.
At this time, a REAL courteous plumbing company (Alvarez) has taken care of that particular problem. They were excellent, prompt, courteous and when I noticed a minor drip under the pipe about an hour after they left, they immediately sent the technician back (within the evening hours) at NO charge to check on it. I call that courteous quality service deserving to have BBB logo displayed on their website.
I demand a formal written apology (preferably displayed on BBB website) plus a donation to a charity of my choice because of all the valuable time they caused me to loose. I will gladly provide a short list of three charity and they can pick one !

We at Schleman Plumbing apologize for the miscommunication. We are a family owned business and have been in business over 57 years. We take pride in our business and in our relationships with our customers. I understand there was miscommunication with the schedule, but we always try to accommodate our customers when we are able to. We do offer no overtime on emergencies, but if it is not an emergency, we schedule during normal business hours, Monday through Friday. That way, we are not charging the customer time and a half for a non emergency item. I am glad to hear you were able to resolve your plumbing problem. I wish you and your family a Happy Holiday Season.