BBB Accredited Business since 05/28/2009

Gettel Hyundai of Sarasota

15 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 2 closed in last 12 months

05/25/2016Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Gettel Hyundai does not follow up on items that they say they will correct.
On March 4th, 2016, I walked into Gettel Hyundai to look at leasing a new car. I met Ali Medellin who was very nice and very informative. We went through the negotiation process and she sent me over to Matt, in finance, who I later find out is no longer with the company. He was VERY pushy in getting me to sign up for the maintance package. I agreed to the basic tire and oil change just so he would move on and stop repeating himself over and over again. I felt like I was being bullied to get this and unfortunately, I do realize it is probably too late.
As I was looking through the paperwork, I noticed that my city and zip were incorrect and asked Matt to fix it. He said he would. The business was getting close to closing time and my husband would have to come back to sign papers as well, so we made arrangements to return on Saturday and have papers signed by him.
Saturday, March 5th, we met with Nick to sign paperwork. I stated my dislike of Matt and him being pushy about the maintance package, but Nick said there was nothing he could do. My husband said he didn't want it, but once again, Nick said there was nothing we could do. I once again noticed that the city and zip still had not been corrected and asked Nick to correct. We finished signing papers and left the facility with our new car and our previous lease we had and was told we had to return it to Honda ourselves. They would not take the van and return it. I found that strange because we have leased in the past and have never had to return a car to the previous dealership, it has always been done by the new company.
A few weeks later I returned to Hyundai with my father to see about changing the temporary tags on the Hyundai because when I called Honda about turning in the van, they asked me why I was turning it in and not the dealership we received our new car through. I said they told me that I had to return it. I was told by Honda that I needed to have the car inspected, but it would be a few more weeks before they could have someone available to do that. Hyndai gave me a new tag that expired May 1st and because of the issues I was having, Sandeep told Nick to make sure that the tags were transferred over to the Hyundai so I wouldn't have to come back into the dealership. I was given the updated expiration date with 12/2016 on the tag and noticed once again my city and zip were incorrect. Nick stated he wasn't sure how to fix that, he would have someone do it first thing Monday morning.
On April 29th, I went on line to pay for a new registration on another car that is not mentioned in this letter. I was unable to pay for it on line because my city and zip were STILL incorrect. And in order for me to update it on line, I was required to pay for a new driver's license I DID NOT need. I immediately called and spoke to Sandeep Singh who stated he would correct the error, please keep in mind this is the 4th time I had to ask. He stated he would call me back on Monday morning after it was corrected. I gave him my cell phone number to call because I would be working.
I never heard from him and had to leave work early to go to the DMV to correct their error. I walked into the DMV office and explained to them what I needed. The girls at the front desk asked if it was Gettel I had been to. I chuckled and said yes. They told me this happens often with customers who purchase cars at Gettel.
I got called to the back to have them change my city and zip in their system and pay for the tags of the car I was trying to renew. Luckily I was not charged a late fee due to the problems we had. While there, the lady that was helping me asked if I wanted to renew the tags on the Honda. I said no, Hyundai said they transferred them over to the Hyundai. She said I'm sorry to tell you this, but the tags that should have been transferred are not attached to a vehicle. And the tags attached to the Hyundai are expired temporary tags. I am including a cop

They need to follow up with their customers.... I am requesting to have my extra maintance and tire package removed. I have lost time and money during this car transaction and they don't seem to care.

This response was taken verbally by BBB.

The customer has received the refund on purchased items and has also maintenance the coverage of the purchased items. Our apologies for the confusion during this process.

07/24/2015Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Bought a lemon; dealer overcharged for title & registration
I bought a 2006 Chevy Cobalt for my daughter on 4 May 15. The dealer was clear it was sold "as is" but said it was thoroughly inspected and in excellent condition. The salesman spoke to the maintenance manager who supposedly assured him it was in great shape "and he would sell it to a friend or family member." We learned after buying the car that 2 tires were the wrong size and 1 of the others required replacement. It also leaked in the rain, soaking the interior, and required extensive repairs. We have put nearly $2,000 into new tires & repairs already. As an active duty Air Force member, although we are temporarily stationed in Louisiana, we registered the car in Alaska where we are legal residents. The dealership charged $799 for "Pre-delivery Service Charge," $185 for "Electronic Registration Filing Fee," and $230 for "Title, Registration, and License Fees." The dealership failed to have us sign proper forms while we were there, so we also had to pay about $20 in additional fees to have forms notarized and shipped overnight from AK back to FL. Throughout the process, their finance manager was rude and refused to assist us with the process of getting registration forms to us while we were in the state of Alaska. She failed to respond to e-mails or return phone calls. The only title service the company ultimately provided was mailing the old title to the Fairbanks, AK DMV where we picked it up and handled all the registration details ourselves including paying the $150 Alaska title and registration fees (well below the excessive $415 fees charged by the company!) I sent an e-mail requesting the company refund the $415 in registration and title fees and $20 in extra fees, but the company has not replied. I am now also seeking refund of the $799 in dealership fees to offset the cost of the tires and subsequent repairs. If the vehicle had been inspected as the company claimed, the company would have been aware of the problem of wrong sized and badly damaged tires. Either they misrepresented the condition of the car or they misrepresented the inspection. The company offered to refund the purchase price of the car, but we would still be out the cost of repairs, tires, registration, and additional fees to return the car to Sarasota. That is not an acceptable or reasonable resolution.

I am seeking a refund of $1,234 ($799 dealership fees, $415 in registration and title service fees, and $20 in notary and shipping fees.)

The sale of the vehicle was "As Is" as defined by the signed paperwork attached. The option is available to our customers to have any vehicle inspected by an outside mechanic as stated in the attached paperwork that was signed by the customer.
We will refund the $20.00 to the customer for the notary and shipping fees.

07/10/2015Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

taking advantage of young new buyers
My son went in to buy a car and explained how much money he had to work with. The seller Chris V. said he felt confident he could get the number needed. after taking my son for a test drive he told my son to go get insurance immediately. my son said no not until he saw a contract. once the contract was brought back the price was hyper inflated and included things not requested by my son. The sales practices here are underhanded and i am very disappointed in the lack of integrity with the seller and this business.

I want to understand what the extra charges are for and i also want the dealer to update the internet adds to include any additional charges that need to be paid. this has also been reported to the State Attorney office in Tallahassee.

Attached is the disclosure that is on our website to help our customers understand additional charges. The customer is welcome back to the dealership for us to answer any additional questions.

03/02/2015Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

Recently bought a used car from ****** Hyundai and having issues with the dealership and the warranty company about repairs with the car.
On Jan. 16 2015 I purchased a used 2010 Ford Escape from ****** Hyundai. The car came with a 90 day warranty. The car started making a noise from the front end just a week after purchasing. I then called to make an appointment and they were booked two weeks in advance. I then finally brought the car in for service on February 10th 2015. After dropping it off and waiting 4 hours to hear anything. I was then informed the problem was with the stabilizer sway bar links, and that the warranty company does not cover the part because the car was over 50,000 miles. I was then told it would cost me $250.00 to replace it. After I declined service, I received another phone call stating that the service department was going to ask the Sales department if they would cover the cost of parts and labor, since I had not owned the car for 30 days. The Sales department declined the request, saying the Warranty Company would not cover parts and labor so they would not the parts and labor. I then requested the number for the Warranty Company to speak with them directly. When I called ***************** Company) they had no record of my contract in their system, there for they could not decline the claim from the dealership. They could not help me because I was not in their system. Tthey then suggested that I speak with the Service Manager. I spoke with **** *********** the Service and Parts Manager at the dealership, he informed me that for the first 30 days of the warranty the dealership covers all parts and labor and the remaining 60 days of the warranty Fidelity takes over. The dealership had yet to send in the paperwork to ********* **** then went on to explain to me that the part that is needed to be replaced was considered " normal wear and tear" and was not covered under that warranty. He went on to say that their used cars were " certified" with a warranty because they don't "rebuild" their used cars before reselling them. If something goes wrong within the warranty period it would be fixed. BUT the part that we need fixed, even though it CLEARLY states it is covered in the warranty, is not covered, because the car has over 50,000. He said that they don't do any front end suspension repairs if the car is over 50,000 miles. He could not tell me what the point of paying the certified used car fee, if the car has over 50,000 miles, and they can use the exception of normal wear and tear on any part that needs to be fixed to get out of fixing it. I requested that the dealership push my paperwork through to Fidelity so that I could speak to them directly and cut out the middle man. I was promised they would have it done in 24 hours, but give him 48 hours, and then **** promised he would call me personally to let me know that the paper work had been successfully entered into the ******** data base. It has been over 48 hours and I have yet to hear from him. I have called and left him several voicemails; he has yet to get back to me.

The settlement I am pursuing is to have both the parts and labor required to repair the car. I believe that owning the car for less than 30 days, I should not be dealing with any issues. I believe the dealership is trying to get out of any issues by saying the problem is due to normal wear and tear. I don't see how the 500 miles in less than 30 days on the car could be considered normal wear and tear on my part.

The repair was completed with no charge for parts or labor to the customer.

11/05/2014Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Bought a 2012 Hyundai Electra on labor day weekend ,
Bought my car then days later they called me and told me to come sign new loan papers thru a different bank which isn't whAt I was signed for to which it made my payment go up. But I couldn t take back cause was moving in couple of days out if stAte an need vechile. Then my daughter tried to get ahold if them for me considering the way I was treated and told I might get a wZrranty and something else money back They called my daughter one time to which she couldn t answer her phone at time they never tried again . They told me they had new wipers on it also and I used them one time then had to replace and I found out they didn t even have rite ones on it. And their the dealership that's sad. Now I m having trouble getting my plates for it cause bank they transferred my loan to won t work with license branch for the title. So I ll probably have to pay reinstatement fees. To which it wasn't t the original bank I was told gave me the loan thru. I m very dissatisfied with gett

Refund for wipers whch were rain ex ones and what about the thrvrefund I might have gotten never heard anything from them they just were poor sales rep. And poor service tiqRd their consumers

Had a nice discussion regarding the entire purchase transaction with Ms ****** and we agreed upon a reimbursement for a manual that she ordered from her local Hyundai dealer. She should be receiving the check in 2 weeks or less.

They reimbursed me for some if my complaints

12/01/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

On 7/4 I went to Gettle Hyundai because I received a letter about their wanting to purchase used cars above blue book, a total scam. I was interested in getting a lesser payment. The salesman, whom I have used before (Ive been involved in the purchase of 3 vehicles from Gettle in the past 2 years, 2 Sonatas and this Elantra) asked if I would be interested in a new vehicle and I said only if my payments stayed the same or went down. He and the finance people did some chatting out of the area where I and a friend were sitting. He came back and said he believed they could do that. I said I only wanted an Elantra in the first place so that would be fine. We then discussed the 10/100 platinum warranty I had purchased on the 2011 Sonata trade in. He asked if I had any claims and when I said no I was told I would get a substantial refund of the premium I had paid given the car was only 4 years old and had less than 42K miles. Going back to the mail offer for above blue book, they said they could only pay $7,000. I wasnt born yesterday and know the blue book for my car in the prefect condition it was in and the low miles was about $5 6,000 more LIARS!The finance guy came back and asked if I would put down some cash (not $2,000, not $1,000; but $500). Understanding I was getting the substantial refund on the 10/100 Platinum plan as well as a 5 year roadside assistance plan, I agreed to pay the $500. After some back and forth between the Gettle people, I was told we would have a deal if I would go to $320/mo. to which I agreed; and to wait for the finance people to meet with me to sign the papers. After about 45 minutes I signed some papers, not $320, but $329 ($20 more than my existing payments). I went along since I understood Id be receiving a significant refund on the extra policies I had on the trade in. I was told I needed to come back on the 6th to finalize because they hadnt finalized the financing arrangements.On the 6th, I went in and was given a whole new set of documents. At that time I also provided the information I had for the 10/100 Platinum plan and the representative said I will forward this to the finance people to see what they can do; she then stapled it to the back of the file of documents. The notable addition to the documents on the 6th was something I signed about a special warranty which included the numbers 4 years and 48,000 miles. I dont have a clue what this is or why I need this with a new car with a 5 year 60,000 mile warranty but I knew they add these things sometimes to pad their profit and I had agreed to the payment number which didnt change from the 4th.I did not complete the on-line survey which the dealership so covets be completed with nothing but positive responses. I received a call, as I thought I would, from the salesman and I explained that I had yet to receive, after several weeks any refund and I was waiting for that. I received a call later that day from someone who represented they were a manager and they informed me that the refund would be coming in a week or so. I then completed the survey giving top marks to all but the finance people because they had not explained things honestly. After about 10 days I sent an email to the manager listed on their website because I still had not received my refund. I received a call from a gentleman named Matt. Matt, from finance, told me they had transferred the old 10/100 Platinum to something that was better for the new car and was for 5 years and 60,000 miles (well whats the 4/48,000?). He was unable to explain what exactly this was or why this was done but promised to send to me the next business day the details. I NEVER heard back from Matt. I waited a week and called him and left a VM asking for the promised information. I never got anything more.I then contacted Hyundai USA and they were responsive to the point where they said they spoke with another manager, Sandy. He supposedly told the Hyundai USA people I authorized and agreed to using my refunds for these extra add-ons. I never agreed to anything other than receiving the refunds. He also said hed look into sending me the information requested but I never heard a word from him either.Last week I went to Gettle Hyundai in Sarasota and presented a letter requesting all document relating to the contract. The finance people would not sign a copy stating that they received the letter and informed me that they would send something about the warranty or service contracts they included in the contract. I have yet to receive that either.
Product_Or_Service: 2016 Elantra

Since I never agreed to having my refunds applied to anything I want whatever they were applied to cancelled and the refund sent to me as originally promised.

We sent copies of all of the documents to Mr. *******. After he reviewed the paperwork, he agreed that the old warranty was cancelled and the refund was applied to his new loan.
It was a pleasure to help out Mr. ******* as we understand that making large purchases can sometimes be very cumbersome.

After months and multiple requests I finally received copies of the documents I signed. I can now see why they were not given to me at the time I signed or when I previously requested them. They were not as explained by the finance rep at the time I signed them. A bit of history may be helpful here. After waiting well over an hour I was finally told the documents were ready to sign. Of course I'd already spent several hours "buying" the car and it was getting late and I was anxious to get home. Once in the office of the finance people I was given many many documents to sign and she explained what they supposedly were so I wouldn't be there for another several hours reading all them. I was told I was signing a cancellation of my extended 10/100 coverage and another on my trade. I was not told I was assigning the proceeds to Gettle. I see from the docs I finally received that there is a box checked saying the proceeds would go to Gettle, but I do not believe that box was checked, or any box, at the time I signed. I'm screwed because I did sign and would advise anyone who is intent on buying from Gettle to make them give you a copy of the documents to read at leisure before signing. They have the pressure thing to get you to take the car now - DON'T! The car and the deal will be there tomorrow and you can take the time to read everything; or, maybe have your attorney look the docs over. On what other transaction do you spend tens of thousands of dollars and not be given time to review what you are doing? As to the cancellation of the extended warranty they sold me, I will never get the cash back as promised at the time of sale. This is because they cleverly put the refund and the new extended warranty into the financing package, i.e. the finance company gets it when ever it is processed. The Gettle hustle, avoid it!

We sincerely apologize again to Mr. ******* for any misunderstanding of the paperwork that he signed. The cancellation form clearly states that the monies were to be applied to the purchase price of his new vehicle. The Buyer Order also has the monies clearly listed as Cash Down on the contract. Copies of all the stated contracts have been submitted to the BBB.
At Gettel Hyundai, we continuously strive to improve our business. Feedback such as this helps us learn more about the areas in which we need to progress. We appreciate the feedback on the time and attention we should take with every customer and welcome Mr. ******* back into the dealership for sales or service in the future.

I BELIEVE I SUBMITTED THIS RESPONSE ON 10/21 BUT IT DOESN'T SEEM TO APPEAR. I STAND BY THIS: After months and multiple requests I finally received copies of the documents I signed. I can now see why they were not given to me at the time I signed or when I previously requested them. They were not as explained by the finance rep at the time I signed them. A bit of history may be helpful here. After waiting well over an hour I was finally told the documents were ready to sign. Of course I'd already spent several hours "buying" the car and it was getting late and I was anxious to get home. Once in the office of the finance people I was given many many documents to sign and she explained what they supposedly were so I wouldn't be there for another several hours reading all them. I was told I was signing a cancellation of my extended 10/100 coverage and another on my trade. I was not told I was assigning the proceeds to Gettle. I see from the docs I finally received that there is a box checked saying the proceeds would go to Gettle, but I do not believe that box was checked, or any box, at the time I signed. I'm screwed because I did sign and would advise anyone who is intent on buying from Gettle to make them give you a copy of the documents to read at leisure before signing. They have the pressure thing to get you to take the car now - DON'T! The car and the deal **** be there tomorrow and you can take the time to read everything; or, maybe have your attorney look the docs over. On what other transaction do you spend tens of thousands of dollars and not be given time to review what you are doing? As to the cancellation of the extended warranty they sold me, I **** never get the cash back as promised at the time of sale. This is because they cleverly put the refund and the new extended warranty into the financing package, i.e. the finance company gets it whenever it is processed. The Gettle hustle, avoid it!

11/04/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Went to buy a new car and they lied about the contract and tried to get me to sign on different numbers that we agreed.
PLEASE AVOID THIS PLACE!! WENT TO LOOK AT A NEW CAR AND FOUND ONE I LIKED. SAT DOWN WITH SALESMEN AND TALKED NUMBERS. THEY RAN MY CREDIT AND SAID THEY CAN GIVE ME THE CAR WITH NO MONEY DOWN AND $500 A MONTH. i SAID GREAT I WILL TAKE IT AND SIGNED THAT I AGREE TO THOSE TERMS. WHEN I STARTED TO SIGN THE PAPERWORK I NOTICED THAT THE TERMS THEY WERE TRYING TO TRICK ME INTO SIGNING

WASN'T WHAT WE AGREED ON. THE FINANCIAL DEPARTMENT SAID THEY WOULD FIX THE PAPERWORK AND JUST TAKE THE CAR AND COME BACK TOMORROW TO SIGN, THOUGHT OK. AFTER A WEEK OF HAVING THE CAR THEY CALLED ME AND SAID THEY HAVE ALL THE PAPERWORK READY TO SIGN, AFTER I ARRIVED AND SAT IN A ROOM FOR A HALF HOUR WAITING TO SIGN PAPERWORK AND GET BACK TO WORK. A SALESMAN CAME IN AND SAID THEY ARE TAKING THE CAR BACK THEY CANT GET ME APPROVED FOR THE TERMS WE AGREED ON. THEY JUST TOOK ALL MY BELONGINGS OUT OF THE CAR AND REMOVED MY KEYS FROM THE RING. ************ DIDN'T EVEN GIVE ME A CHANCE TO PUT A LARGE CASH DEPOSIT SO WE COULD MAKE THE TERMS WORK. AFTER GETTING KICKED OUT OF GETTEL'S CAR I WENT UP TO TAMPA HYUNDAI AND GOT THE SAME CAR FOR A LOWER PRICE WITH ONLY A $1000 DOWN. I ALSO HAD THE INTAKE UPGRADED TO A K&N AIR FILTER THAT THEY WONT GIVE BACK.

I would like my air filter back and to contact all of the credit departments that they ran my credit with and have it removed off my credit. over 15 times my credit was ran and has severally damaged my credit.

This response was taken verbally by BBB:

The consumer failed to meet the bank qualifications for approval by not being able to provide proof of income.

They are lying about proof of income. I was required to show proof of income before I took the car off the lot. They even made me bring back another copy of w-2. What dealership would allow anyone to take a car off the lot without proof of income?

11/04/2014Billing / Collection Issues