BBB Accredited Business since 04/05/2010

Two Men and A Truck

05/21/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

they are in violation of contract. **** pay depreciated amount for damaged furniture but **** take the damaged furniture!
December 23, 2014 I used this company when I moved to a new build.

I have had sporadic communication with ***** **** is the ops manager and all I know is the "owner" of this franchise goes by the name of **** I have been unable to speak with him due to the fact that the only time I tried to get him, "he was in court fighting a lawsuit". I have called corp. in Michigan and spoken with customer service rep ************ I've left 2 or 3 messages for ***** the president who has never returned my call but has forwarded my vmail to *********** the girl I have been speaking to in customer service.
I moved into a brand new build on 12/23. I've used two men 2 other times in the past and never had a problem however they were a small business and much different. I had much less furniture than I originally described in my first call where I set up the move because I donated extra furniture to hospice yet my move took 3 hours longer - these movers were exceptionally slow and noted on the sign off sheet that I actually had MORE furniture. They did damage to my new door frames, left a door off the hinges, left trash in the yard, slid furniture across the new floors rather than picking it up to move it, put the wrong furniture in the wrong rooms (bedroom end tables with different bedroom furniture from other room/light/dark furniture), adding more time, they even just threw comforters and pillows on the floor, yet the only furniture they carefully placed were the 8 dining chairs under the table.
February 18th I sat down to have dinner at the dining table and pulled the chair under me and felt the tear. 4 chairs of my 8 dining chairs were torn. I called them on February 19th. To date, this has not been resolved. They have suggested that I get 4 different chairs since the brown color is no longer available from West Elm, where I originally purchased these. This would leave me with 4 original brown and 4 of some odd color. A repair company can not repair them because it is bonded leather. They have suggested just replacing the seat, which **** be a different color brown - this is not acceptable. They have offered a check for $2,000 but they **** take all 8 chairs. The cost of the chairs to be replaced is $3286.18 with tax and shipping. Corporate customer service(Charlie) has stated that they are going above and beyond because they are paying for the depreciated value in their estimation of 8 chairs instead of 4 damaged chairs and in effect, they only have to cover 4 and she knows they **** be taking my furniture in exchange for the check paying for the depreciated value but there is nothing in the contract stating this, however in the first line of the damage clause it states "our movers **** be as careful as possible". They didn't even cover these chairs and I have witnesses. They are in violation of their contract. They even had my lawn mower sitting on top of my hand made wooden coffee table!. My question is this......I have never heard ever, where when someone pays for damages:
1. They take the items they are paying damages for - this is beyond me.
2. They keep referring to the contract however the first line in the damage clause they refer to states "although our movers **** be as careful as possible" Clearly there was a loose board or something because the damage is in the same place across all 4 chairs. The other 4 chairs that were stacked on top do not have the damage.
3. I said I would not bother with other damages as long as they did the right thing by these chairs. This is very shady to say the least. I had 8 perfectly good pristine chairs going on this truck and 4 severely damaged coming off.I tried to explain that to ***** if his car was damaged and the insurance company paid for repairs, would they then take the car? He said he didn't know anything about that which then makes me question if they even have insured drivers for their vehicles.

I want a full replacement value refund for these chairs at what it **** cost me from West Elm for the porter leather arm chair. It **** take me time to find new chairs in the same style and color. They **** not take my furniture. They **** just send me the check they owe me for the price of the furniture of the 8 chairs because that's how many I **** now need to replace.

***Document Attached***
Im responding to a complaint from one of our previous customers, ********* Churchill *******. Unfortunately, she had some damage to 4 dining chairs during her move. Ive attached the pictures she sent us to give you an idea of the extent of the damage. We wanted to work with her and get these items repaired by a professional vendor. However, she did not think a repair would be satisfactory so we were not able to go that route.

Our moving contract states that we reserve the right to repair the item and if the item cannot be repaired we can give the "Actual Cash Value" of the item. The actual cash value is essentially the depreciated value of the chairs. We ended up sending her a check for the "Replacement Value" of the chairs. The replacement value is what she originally paid for the chairs in brand new condition. We even included the sales tax that she paid for these items.

Ive attached the email chain where she stated that the matter has been closed. She is now claiming full replacement value for all 8 chairs including the 4 that were not damaged.

We have consulted with our corporate office in handling Mrs Laidlaws damage claim. We are in agreement that we have done everything we can to satisfy our responsibility to our customer. It is unfortunate that she is seeking further damages against our company.

Please let me know if there is anything else you need from us regarding this claim.

Thanks!

**** **********

This complaint was settled after my contacting BBB and prior to BBB taking action. It is not the desired result due to the fact that I need to replace all 8 chairs but it is the agreed upon result between the company and myself.

01/08/2014Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

I called this company for moving services for same day. I could not find an available storage unit so I called the to cancel. They still billed me.
On Saturday November 2nd I called this company to inquire if they had movers available for the same day. They said they did. I told them I had to find a storage unit first so I may or may not need them. The asked for my credit card info to hold the slot. I went to five storage facilities and none had a unit the size I needed available. I immediately called the movers to tell them I wouldn't be needing them. On Monday I noticed that they had charge me for two hours ($216.00). I called them and they said that I had to cancel at least 72 hours in advance of my move or I could be charged a penalty. I asked how I could possible have cancelled 72 hours in advance when I called them the same day of my move. She said that she would have her manager call me. No one ever called me. I called the corporate office. She said that she would call the local office and call me back. She didn't call me back. I called her the next day. She said that she lost my information and would research again and call me back. She never called me back. This is extremely unethical practice.

I want them to credit my credit card for $216 that they owe me. Or they can send me a check. I will not use their service ever in the future.

I have attached a copy of the timeline concerning the *******'s prior to 11/08 when the contacted our home office. When Mrs. ******* contacted our office on 11/6, she requested a time line of the events leading to the credit card being charged, which I sent to her via email.

In the complaint to the BBB, Mr. ******* claims he was not contacted by our office or our home office after reaching out. That is not accurate as I have attempted to contact them and confirmed a representative with our home office attempted to contact them 11/12 prior to them filing a complaint. Any attempts to contact them were unsuccessful as the calls were not answered and sent to voicemail. There were at least two voicemails left in an attempt to resolve the issue but neither myself or our home office received a return phone call.

We would be willing to refund $108.00 of the $216.00 charged to satisfy the complaint. If the *******'s do not feel that this is acceptable, we would be willing to refund the full $216.00 in an attempt to resolve the situation once and for all.

****** ******