West Florida

BBB Accredited Business since 05/15/2014

Castle Services of Southwest Florida, Inc.

03/04/2013Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Sales presentation did not disclose key conditions of the offer

Complaint: After receiving a quote I was then informed by company that they were not interested in doing a job because I did not choose them to do the entire job
I initially contacted Castle Services of SW FL to possibly do an installation of hurricane shutters at both my front door entrance and the slider entrance to the lanai of my home here in Punta Gorda with the possibility of completing the installation of more hurricane shutters at other door and window locations of our home in future years. ********* came to our home to measure the front door entrance and the entrance to the lanai and told us that he would measure the windows and doors on our entire home just in case we changed our minds and thought we would consider putting up shutters in any other location of our home at this time. After receiving the quote I actually choose Castle Services of SW FL to do the installation of a motorized roll-up hurricane shutter on the lanai opening of our home, which was quoted at approximately $6000. I was then informed by ************ that the company was not interested in doing installation at the entrance to the lanai area because I did not choose Castle Services of SW FL to do the entire installation job. Please understand that I did not contract Castle Services of SW FL to do the complete hurricane shutter installation job here because two other very reputable companies that have been in business for many years that I did receive quotes from were within $1000 of each other for completing the same job of installing a combination of both motorized hurricane rollup shutters and accordion shutters, while Castle Services of SW FL was approximately $8000 more to complete the exact same job. ************ told me that the reason for this was that I was buying "junk" from the other company that I selected to complete the installation in other areas of our home when in fact that company will warranty their product for FOUR years longer than Castle Services of SW FL will. So I am not really sure why I would contract Castle Services of SW FL and pay you $8000 more to do the complete job and then only receive a warranty for only one year verses five years from another company.

On January 23, 2013 Mr. ****** sent an email to ******, our sales representative. The first line of the email - I quote "Please give me your best price for a 100% installation." ** called me and based on this request we were able to spread our costs over a larger package, $31,000, thereby reducing the overall price to Mr. ******.

Mr. ****** decided it was in his best interest to break up the package so that, in his own words he could save more money. He wanted to give Castle Services the most difficult portion of the installation because we had come up with a better solution. If our competitors were truly $8,000 (25%) less than us on a total package of $31,000 why would we receive any of the business.

No cash has changed hands and no documents have been signed regarding this proposal. To date this proposal has been verbal. Had Mr. ****** signed a proposal with Castle Services our proposal clearly states just above the signature line "Any alteration from the above specifications will become an extra charge over and above the Proposal estimate"

Mr. ****** used the deceptive practice of asking for a discount based on the total package of $31,000 and then expecting Castle Services to hold to that discounted price at a small fraction of the original proposal.

I have Mr. ******'s response below quoted DIRECTLY from his email to me on 1/23/2013:
As you will see, the primary area of concern was the lanai sliders with the transom window(opening #15). I believe that the best option is to use one shutter box located above the transom window, with a single curtain to protect the entire area. This will be possible by using a special slat system that can incorporate an 8" housing. For this height, a typical roll shutter system would need to use around a 12" to 14" shutter box. The specially designed slat will allow us to do this and still meet the required engineering for that size opening. I have been told that we also can raise the shutter box by adapting the ceiling to raise the shutter housing even more. This will allow us to not intrude into the window frame with any portion of the shutter. The cost for the roll shutter on opening 15 would be $5,898.
If you should decide to proceed with all openings at one time, the total installed price would be $28,896. Any other scenario can be priced individually per opening.
As usual, when dealing with a company that really should not be in the business of serving residential customers because they really clearly have NO CUSTOMER SERVICE and clearly have no idea as to what that concept is, Castle Services of Southwest Florida, Inc. has the facts of this matter all entirely WRONG.
When reading the email above it should be VERY CLEAR to ANYONE that the intent of the response from Mr. ****** does not even remotely infer that the price for "opening #15" which was my lanai opening in my home depended at all on the completion of the entire job !!!! HIS WORDS CLEARLY ARE " The cost for the roll shutter on opening 15 would be $5,898." It clearly states that "IF you should decide to proceed with all openings at one time, the total installed price would be $28,896." These are Mr. ******** words direct from his email to me.
Does this sound like I used "...the deceptive practice of asking for a discount based on the total package of $31,000 and then expecting Castle Services to hold to that discounted price at a small fraction of the original proposal." If the above were even remotely true, why did Castle Services of Southwest Florida, Inc. not offer to do the installation of opening 15 at a higher price? The reason is clearly because Castle Services of Southwest Florida, Inc. was not awarded the entire job. And the reason that Castle Services of Southwest Florida, Inc. was not awarded the entire job is that their quote came back greater than $8000 more than any other quote that I received. When asked why their quote was so high the response from Castle Services of Southwest Florida, Inc. was that I was comparing their product to another company's "JUNK" and I was buying "JUNK". Then I asked why the company's "junk" that I was indeed buying for $8000 less had a warranty of four more years then their product, they had no response. In other words the company that I did ultimately choose to do most of the installation work has a FIVE year warranty on their products and Castle Services of Southwest Florida, Inc. will only warranty their "superior product" for ONE year.
In closing, while I was very fascinated by Castle Services of Southwest Florida, Inc. proposal of using a "... special slat system that can incorporate an 8" housing..." on the lanai opening of my home, it was a total waste of my time because Castle Services of Southwest Florida, Inc. decided that they were not interested in doing a $6000 installation job ay my property and made me feel as though I was not "good" enough for Castle Services of Southwest Florida, Inc to do any work on my home. While I do not have this in writing, it was what I construed from my with Mr. ******, who I am told is Mr. ******'s superior. When emailing the president of Castle Services of Southwest Florida, Inc, Mr. **** ******, I never even received a response.
Please note that the reason that I asked for their "...best price for a 100% installation..." was after I received the total installation quote from Castle Services of Southwest Florida, Inc., which was $8000 HIGHER than my next highest quote, and I was only making sure that there not any mistakes, etc with their quote and not really inferring ANYTHING ELSE.
In addition, I will also be filing a complaint with the FTC Bureau of Consumer Protection and I am also considering a legal action as well.

Complaint Resolution: BBB determined that despite the company's reasonable effort to address complaint issues, the consumer remained dissatisfied.