BBB Accredited Business since 09/10/2010

Andy OnCall

12/01/2014Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

Faulty workmanship - installed a paddleboard rack in my laundry room that failed (not in studs); resulting in the damage of my paddleboard.
On 09/09/2014, I hired Andy on Call from Angie's list. ***** (owner) sent over his "craftsman" to install paddleboard rack. I explained that paddleboard rack was previously partially installed, and that I needed it professionally installed properly - that is why I hired a professional. Craftsman came over and reinstalled/installed paddleboard holder in my laundry room. I told him that I needed the rack to hold 30lbs (weight of board). Craftsman showed me that he used screws strong enough to hold 75 to 150lbs. He asked me to use a level. I offered him my level and stud finder (electronic) and he stated it was too "high tech for him", so he declined. He finished installing (I was in the other room - I did not watch over him). He then told he was done and I paid and signed the contract (with the one year guarantee) and he left. I put my board on the rack and it failed. The board fell and chipped. The board itself was a brand new board $1,900 that I just had delivered the day before (I have receipts). I have pictures of the failed rack - THE CRAFTSMAN DID NOT INSTALL THE RACK INTO THE STUDS IN THE WALL; THAT IS WHY IT FAILED. I e-mailed ***** and told him what happened, included my damaged board. He resent craftsman, who fixed the rack and installed into the studs this time, using his own stud finder that he brought. He did NOT ask to see my damaged board (which was sitting on my porch). I then had my board fixed from a gentleman on Craigslist which cost me $500. I sent in pictures and receipt into ***** for reimbursement of the repair of my board, since it was due to his craftsman's faulty workmanship; also they advertise their one year warranty. He is stating that my receipt is a fraud, is not even acknowledging my pictures, and refuses to pay me a dime for the damage to my board.

$500 for repair of damaged paddleboard

As we have responded to you in the emails on Angie's List, we have honored our warranty and returned to your house and re-installed the brackets on wall studs rather than at the location you had previously selected. Further we have also offered to refund the $80 service charge from the original installation.

You provided an invoice for repairs to your paddle board from Largo Water Sports in the amount of $500.00. But, when we called them and spoke to the owner to verify what seemed to be a large amount to do the repair, the owner told us that they do not fix paddle boards. The owner also said that the invoice was not a valid one from his business.

When I told you about what Largo Water Sports had said, you then told us that you hired someone from Craig's List whom you do not know, nor have their name. You also told us that you do not have a cancelled check, nor other evidence of payment for the repairs because you paid by cash.

We have dealt with you honestly and honorably. You have refused to accept our offer for a full refund. If you change your mind about that we will still refund the $80 service charge.

"When I told you about what ****************** had said, you then told us that you hired someone from Craig's List whom you do not know, nor have their name. You also told us that you do not have a cancelled check, nor other evidence of payment for the repairs because you paid by cash."

This is all true, and again, does not negate the fact that you provided poor workmanship that resulted in the $500 damage of my new paddleboard. $80 will NOT refund my repair for my paddleboard.

At this point I am willing to put this to bed for the refund of $250 for the paddleboard (half of the repair expenses) and $80 for the refund of the work you did on the rack install, for a total of $330 in lieu of the $500 originally requested. I believe this is a fair negotiation.

This response was provided verbally to BBB:

The damages she is claiming cannot be documented. We have no way of knowing whether or not the board was even damaged at all. She lied about who fixed the board and now I have no way of knowing if she lied about ever even having it fixed. We don't even know if it was damaged or if it was it may not have been a result of the bracket. We believe it is reasonable to refund the $80 for the services that were performed.

There was no lying or deceit on my part. I had offered to send in pictures of my repaired board previously, but I did not receive a response. I had already sent in pictures of my damaged board.

08/10/2012Problems with Product / Service