BBB Accredited Business since 06/07/2013

Byte Shop of Naples

01/15/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Service not complete & damage.Didnot transfer data from WD to Seagate external HD broke the clip that holds the film on C650 keyboard & charged me $85
11.4.2014 (1) I took new C655 laptop to Byte Shop to make an out of box recovery set; which was done & I provided the discs. 2)I asked them to look at Boot Loader issue on C650 laptop, but they said HD was shot & offered to sell me a new one. I declined; but before I hung up I asked them to use the command prompt window to boot up the PC & **** said, "Oh that's old school nobody uses CMD anymore". I said, "Are you kidding; that is computer lingo 101" & he hung up on me. So I went to pick up my 2 laptops & 2 ext HD's. Nevertheless I found out the C650 HD is not shot. (2)What is shot is the keyboard. That they broke. The clip that holds the film for C650 laptop is broken & now inoperable. (3) I asked them to transfer all files from Western Digital 3TB to Seagate 3TB. I was told it was done & it was not complete. The Seagate only has folders copied up to B. Not A-Z.
Now its 12.19.14 & I go to turn on C650 & notice keyboard not working reason stated above, & plug in Seagate to check it & also not completed as told it was by ******* when I called to make sure that they were very careful when transferring the data because it is very important that all files are copied over correctly so they are complete. I had instructions regarding this transfer due to the amount of information the WD held. I asked if they could only transfer a few at a time not the entire drive all at once. But they didn't. ******* said, "it was coping all files at same time & it will be done in 2-3 hours". Well now I have to copy the data myself & buy a new keyboard for my C650 which more than the $85 Byte Shop of Naples charged me for basically creating a 4 disc set of out of box recovery discs for my new C655 laptop. I spoke to ******* just now 12.19.14 & he said I declined hardware repair & I am over the 30 days warranty policy. So I told him I will call the BBB.

I am requesting the assistance of the BBB in order that see if they can help me get the Byte Shop of Naples to replace the keyboard & CLIP that they broke or refund me the $65 so I can put it towards the purchase of one for C650-BT4N13 Toshiba laptop. I spent $85; but since I am not an idiot & know their time is worth something. I think the best was to resolve this is to ask them to replace my keyboard & charge me $20 for creating a 4 disc recovery set for the C655 laptop; since the data from WD to Seagate was not completed. Even though I called & asked ******* to please check it & make sure before I pick it up. He said not to worry it will be done in a few hours just call before I head over to make sure it has finished transferring before I pick it up. I did & all ******* said was my things are ready for pick up. So I paid $85 bucks for 4 recovery discs for brand new laptop, which I provided; a broken laptop keyboard that was not broken before I dropped it off & A-B data transferred not A-Z.

Customer claim that data was not transferred from source disk to target disk is completely untrue and baseless. All data from source disk was successfully transferred as per customer request. Work was verified and accepted by customer in writing at time of service. Customer made no effort to contact us until now (45+ days after service was completed) with claims that data is missing. We can only assume customer is confused or has mistakenly deleted files herself. Since this is now over 45 days we have no way to verify what customer has done since to her hard disk(s).

Claims of damage to customer's keyboard are completely untrue and baseless. Again, customer has waited 45 days to make claims of damage to keyboard which is baffling. Customer signed release confirming that all equipment has been return to her in same condition.

Customer signed written standard release stating that she accepted that all work was performed satisfactorily and all equipment was returned to customer in same condition.

Customer was rude on the phone and engaged in rambling techo-speak dialogue with our staff attempting to instruct them on the proper way to repair computers. Customer maintains she is an expert in computer repair but in fact she has very, very limited knowledge and throughout has attempted to instruct our staff on how to perform any work on her equipment.

All work was completed as requested and no damage to customer's keyboard was result of any actions of Byte Shop staff.

Customer is now attempting to negotiate some type of discount using untrue and baseless claims about broken keyboards and missing data all which are past our 30 day warranty and were 100% accepted by customer over 45 days ago.

No refund or discount is therefore warranted.

Wow what an unethical & unprofessional response. Just proves this computer place is not a business that anyone should trust with their personal or business equipment repairs.

#1 I am no liar & have run a successful service based business for 9 years. We always honor our work even when the contract has expired & months have passed.

So throwing out insults & blaming the client is dishonorable & immoral. The first thing **** mentioned was the $85 charge. Which he claimed is the cost for running a "diagnostic test" on the HD; which I never received. And if they were computer savvy at all they would not have removed the keyboard in order to remove a HD; since it is located on the bottom of the laptop.

Just so I am clear; I am WAY TOO BUSY to take time out of my day to file a false report on a reputable company who completed the services that I paid them for. This report is the truth & is a warning to anyone who is thinking of entrusting this company for anything. I mean after I specifically called ******* to ask him to make sure the files had transferred; he didn't & the clip they broke on the keyboard is part of the mother board & cannot be purchased separately.

SO BEWARE of The Byte Shop; they are no computer repair business & are definitely not to be trusted. I am sure I am not their only victim, but I am the only one that has come forward to report their indiscretions to the BBB thus far.

Since they refuse to accept the truth about the facts as I have reported. I can only hope this report is read by a wise consumer who researches this company prior to trusting them with any computer repairs.

Ignorance is bliss but it does not mean you are not breaking the law. If you need a reputable & honest computer repair shop call U BREAK I FIX & ask for *******. Stay away from The Byte Shop because you will get bit.