Representative was rude and combative, would not allow me to ask for information related to a letter I received regarding an insturance claim.
Bell # XXXXXXXXXXX
Client: ***** ****
Date of Loss: 11/20/2015
Received a letter 3/14/2016 stating I was deemed responsible for payments related to a collision in the amount of $2934.90, and I had 30 days to dispute. Contacted Bell by phone during stated business hours on letter and received a general voicemail. I left two voicemails stating that I disputed the charges, and for them to please send a detail of the charges and proof of responsibility.
Received second letter on 4/14/2016 stating that they had not heard from me. Waited a few days to see if they would send the requested information via mail in response to my voicemails.
Placed a phone call on 4/28/16 to Bell and was forwarded to Mr. ****** I provided the information related to the claim, and informed him that I was recording the phone call (as I do with all calls related to legal or financial matters). I then stated that I simply wanted to request a detail of the charges and proof that I was responsible for the accident. Mr. ***** then stopped me, and asked me what my "angle" was. I said there was no "angle", and he started speaking very loudly saying "IF YOU KEEP TALKING OVER ME, WE'RE NOT GOING TO GET ANYWHERE." I paused for a couple of seconds to make sure I wasn't speaking over him, and began again, when he did jumped in after I started speaking and said again, "IF YOU KEEP TALKING OVER ME, WE'RE NOT GOING TO GET ANYWHERE."..Finally, I said "go ahead" and he again said he was trying to figure out what my angle was. I again stated that I was requesting information related to the details of the invoice. At some point, he asked if I was insured at the time of the accident, and I said that was irrelevant. He said that the law states that the law specifies that I would be responsible for charges related to repairs of the other vehicle, if I was uninsured, regardless of fault, and that he had been in this business for years and knew what he was talking about. I stated that I didn't think this was correct, and again tried to ask for the charge details and proof of fault, when he started again with the "IF YOU KEEP TALKING OVER ME, WE'RE NOT GOING TO GET ANYWHERE." At this point, I noted again that this call had been recorded, and he said he was recording on his end, and I stated I was terminating the call and hung up.
The reasons I was asking for the information were:
1) I am not in the habit of just paying a single-amount bill that I receive with no listing of where the specific charges came from.
2) The other party in the collision stated that they would take responsibility for the accident if I would pay their $500 deductible.
3) I was NEVER contacted by anyone at ***** **** regarding the collision, I was never asked to give a statement about the events.
4) Information relating to the damage locations in the accident will show that the other party was at least 50% responsible for the accident occurring, if not more. No police report was filed to my knowledge, since the damages appeared to be minor to the other vehicle, and my vehicle had only minimal damage.
5) I could find no information or statute in Texas that requires an uninsured motorist to pay for damages to the other party in an accident, regardless of who's fault the accident was.
6) I was considering whether I would need to hire an attorney if I was being charged $500 by the other driver for their deductible, AND the same charge was being applied as part of the $2934.90 charge that I received from Bell.
To date, I have still not received anything from Bell and will longer speak with anyone from Bell by phone as a result of my last exchange.
1) Lay off the strong-arm tactics. These tactics are used by those who have to resort to abusive behavior in an effort to intimidate people into simply paying the sum, instead of actually providing legitimate reasons the debt is owed.
2) Stop calling my phone. I will no longer have any exchange with anyone from Bell Subrogation by phone.
3) I would like to receive by Certified Mail a detailed list of the charges related to repairs of the other vehicle, along with anything that states that I am legally responsible for 100% of the damage. This should not be a determination by ***** ***** as they have not done their due diligence to prove my fault.
4) Cease the threat that a request for the suspension of my driver's license will be submitted to my State's Department of Motor Vehicles.
Upon successful resolution of the above, I am perfectly willing to discuss the charges related to the accident in a reasonable manner via email or certified mail.
Contact Name and Title: Z *****, Client Svcs Mgr
Contact Phone: 813-597-2010
Contact Email: *************@bellcorp.com
The legitimate reason that the complainant owes for the damages caused to our client's insured is that he was at fault for this accident and did not have valid insurance to cover the damages. The complainant merged into our client's insured's vehicle causing almost $3,000 of damages. The supports for these damages have been mailed to the complainant for his review. In addition, he claims that ***** **** never contacted him - there are notes in their file indicating that they attempted to contact him numerous times via telephone and via mail with no response. We also called and sent letters for just over a month before receiving a response from the complainant. If and when the complainant wishes to take care of the damages for which he is responsible, he can contact Mr. ***** at 800-282-6882 ******