BBB Accredited Business since 04/18/2008

Carpet Barn & More, Inc.

10/21/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Contract dated 08/13/2014 Poor installation , never made repairs. Charged card for final payment, against my wishes even though work was not complete.
Entered into contract on 08/13/2014 for new carpet and laminate repair.Paid 50% deposit of $1643, balance to be paid upon completion of job. Job was done but minor repairs were needed. They asked for balance of contract to be paid in full as they would do the repairs within a few days. I said no , final payment would be made upon completion of repair as in my experience once a contractor is paid repairs never get made. They against my wishes charged my credit card for the entire balance and the repairs have never been made. Contract called for 168 sq yards of carpet, I believe the job was quite a bit less than this amount but they have denied my request for a copy of their measurements.

Refund of $1644 drafted from my account without my consent.

Carpet Barn & More response:

In response to the poor installation, never made repairs:

Consumer's email, August 22nd: "It does look great (referring to the laminate) and I love the carpet. Look at the spot on the laminate as you 1st enter next to the doorway (referring to a nicked corner smaller than the size of a dime), seems perfect other than that".

In response to Charged card for final payment even though work not complete:

Work was COMPLETED August 22nd. Consumer feels that we missed a "spot" (his word). Per Contract payment is due IMMEDIATELY upon completion, regardless of the particular form of payment we accept.

In response to They asked for balance to be paid in full, as they would do the repairs within a few days. I said no as in my experience once a contractor is paid repairs never get made:

Consumer must have had a prior bad experience with a contractor, hence stereotyping our industry. The laminate was originally installed by an amateur, (allegedly the past renter based on what I was told by the consumer), and ALL was installed poorly. (I am a "certified inspector", so I do have knowledge about installations). Prior to Contract, he obviously agreed to the poor installation throughout when he asked me about replacing ALL of it with carpet. My email stated: "It's in your best interest not to remove & replace it, and to get it in a condition where it may last a few years. I'm very confident that we can do that for you". Though we do the best job anyone can... per Contract, we make no guarantees, (especially regarding a repair / replacement job where it's sometimes impossible to turn a poor job into "perfect").

Per Contract: Consumer must be ON SITE during installation. This also means upon completion, to check the jobsite. Consumer did not show up on site, until after the project was completed and we had left the premises. Consumer was contacted by phone and email the morning of the last day of repair "We will be at your house today, most of the day, completing the project. Would you like me to contact you within an hour, or 1/2 hour prior to installation?" Consumer response "I am tied up until 3pm today, but feel free to let me know."

In response to Repairs have never been made:
I responded the SAME day he pointed out the "spot". The "following business day" I sent an email stating that I would get to that area this week, and followed up with a specific day Wednesday, willing to work around the consumer's schedule. I asked him to be present at the house. Consumer's response on Sept. 19th - "Would not be necessary with a $150.00 credit".

Not only did I offer to replace that "spot" at no charge, I also offered to credit his account for $1644.00, and then re-run this amount after replacement! (I was willing to bend over backwards, due to the fact that he works as a realtor for a very good friend of mine.) His only response was to receive $150.00 credit and obtain the carpet measurements from me. Prior to Contract, he expressed via email, that he thought he only needed to purchase 1200 square feet of carpet, and acknowledged that he was not correct by signing our Contract afterwards. The consumer's measurements are on the invoice, which I re-emailed, along with a separate email to him stating the yardage and square footage necessary to complete the project.

At this point, I am uncertain as to why the consumer is desperately seeking a $1644.00 credit. I feel certain that he is fabricating excuses, with this brand new issue regarding his implications that my carpet measurements are incorrect. He was a strong negotiator, with unrealistic expectations prior to Contract, and it seems that he still wants something for nothing. Due to the fact that he is a realtor and runs Magic Mortgage USA, I feel sure he's familiar with "mutual assent", "offer and acceptance", and "contract law".

He has been threatening to breach the Contract and extort our company. We have never had to deal with such nonsensical conduct. IF the consumer does not terminate his unreasonable, illogical and frivolous actions immediately, Carpet Barn & More, Inc. will unfortunately be compelled to file a claim.

Attached are a list of emails back & forth from both parties, copy of this submission, along with the Contract and Addendum. Please let me know if there's anything we can do to help alleviate this situation. Sorry for the delayed response, due to the religious holidays last week.

I have a new tenant in that house and they have found several other bad spots and have convinced me to replace it.
It makes no sense to have him fix it at this point, I should have replaced it originally instead of paying him $900 to repair it.

Please close the file and thanks for your efforts.

08/28/2013Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

Vinyl installed in kitchen and one bathroom showing signs of unidentified stain - warranty stated was that no such stains would appear. One year war
Purchase order signed 8/21/12 - installed early Sept. Promise made there would be no issue with mildew or mold guaranteed.. payment made on delivery in full....numerous calls and attempts to have ***** review the areas and repair or replace have been to no avail.. calls require messages left as ***** not available. return calls missed as my phone is not working properly as I have advised- I have the feeling he is stalling for expiration of warranty as invoice states one year coverage.Vinyl Company -Tarkett installed in kitchen and two bathrooms. I will provide any other information required if I have not already furnished. I would like a formal appointment date set for which both of us could agree and keep.

I will accept repair - if possible with a further guarantee that repair will be also guaranteed or replacement with a product that can be guaranteed against mold or mildew as promised - at no further expense.

As discussed today, I believe I've taken the appropriate steps in an attempt to resolve this complaint. Unfortunately, I the customer has not given me reasonable time to do the necessary research to determine a resolution.

I noticed the customer mentioned that I may be stalling. I have documented that she contacted the store on June 10th. I left a message on her voice mail at 3:10pm on June 13th. We spoke that day, and I told her that I would be in her area within a week, and will call her to set an appointment. She seemed ok with this idea.

I also left a message at 10:45am on 6/18. She called back and told******** that she was sick, in & out of the hospital, and she didn't want me to come by the house until further notice. I again left a message at 11:30am on 6/21. She called the store that same day, about 5 minutes after I left my message, and I scheduled the appointment/visit with her "one hour" after our conversation. She could have discussed her situation with any one of my secretaries here at the store, however by "her" choice, she decided that she can only speak with "me", which is probably why she feels there has been a slight delay. I'm not always here at the store.

When I arrived, I took multiple pictures of the areas in question. She told me that everyone thinks she's crazy since she fell and bumped her head, but she's not. I told her that it may be a good idea to have the floor inspected by an independent inspector. (This is also in the contract she signed). She told me that she was NOT going to do that, and she began to get unreasonably vicious for no apparent reason, and yelled at me, telling me that everyone she knows is taking advantage of her... including me, pointing her finger as she followed me to the front door. She basically kicked me out the door, yelling to me once again that she's not crazy.

Pictures were emailed to the manufacturer's representative. I have also left a message with the glue manufacturer.... and am waiting for their returned phone call. At the present time, nobody knows what has caused the stains, or what type of stains they are. One stain is royal blue, and another stain is gray.

I do not make verbal promises.... everything is in writing. Nobody ever gave her a warranty for mold or mildew. At the given time, we cannot identify the stains as mold or mildew. She never mentioned that her phone is not working properly.

I will be in touch as soon as I complete my research.

In response to your letter of July 30 and telephone conversation with****** of recent date regarding latest response to you from Carpet Barn advising **** had contacted me ...I have heard nothing further from ***** since he was here and took the pictures HE SAID HE WAS GOING TO SUBMIT TO THE MANUFACTURER. In fact I have been awaiting a response from him (as per his letter to me with copy to you on 6/27 and his letter to you on apparently the same date). I was wondering what was an appropriate wait time to contact you or ***** - (not sure which) when YOU called ME. How could I contact the manufacturer? I have had no direct contact with them (I assume he refers to "********) I have no contract with them either or warranty information; no address, no record of business, etc. my only contact has been with ***** and he has stated in both correspondence to you and to me that HE was going to contact them....Carpet Barn has been my only contact - (they are the only representative of the manufacturer and I selected a vinyl pattern from samples ***** provided - no mention was made as to manufacturer...what business would recognize any claim from anyone they have never heard from? This is just another "stalling" tactic...he tells me he is going to contact the manufacturer with the pictures - then tells you I am going to contact the manufacturer and WE BOTH WAIT. I know nothing about any independent inspector, whom to contact, cost, etc. - why should I stand such additional expense - something else ***** came up with - never heard of one...***** also states in his last letter to you (of (7/07) "the customer understands the manufacturer's recommendations provided to her" what recommendations? From whom? He also stated "the store has provided the customer with the manufacturer's contact information" - which is NOT true. The only contact I have had from ***** has been the letter of 6/27 to me and his visit of (I believe of 6/2l) when he took the pictures he said HE was going to forward to the manufacturer (his letter of (6/27)- in the same letter he stated "I believe I've taken the appropriate steps in an attempt to resolve this complaint. Unfortunately, 1 the customer has not given me reasonable time to do the necessary research ....To answer your question of whether I am basically satisfied with the company's efforts to resolve this matter////I am NOT. ***** has not been truthful to either you or me and has made no real effort to resolve this problem (the pictures being the only thing) I feel he has not lived up to his word or guarantee and I truly believe he feels he will just "wait me out" until I give up. I also don't know what else to do or where to turn as I stated before I have no funds for an attorney, but I seem to remember you had a listing of some small fee to "publish" my complaint..I might consider that if it is not too expensive as a last resort. You have been most kind and helpful and I do thank you for all you've done and will stay with me. Thank you!!!!

Again, this is a manufacturer's warranty issue. The store is uncertain of the contents of the discoloration, & what may have caused it. The store is not a "certified inspector", therefore not capable of knowing whether these are "topical" stains, ie. ink, cleaning chemicals, wine, juice, etc., or a result of moisture coming into the house from outside. The stains appear to be blue in color, similar to ink or toilet bowl cleaning chemicals.

The customer understands the manufacturer's recommendations provided to her, however she is highly allergic to bleach which was recommended by the manufacturer. There is no such thing as a stain-proof vinyl floor -- the store never guaranteed that the floor would be stain-proof.

The store has provided the customer with the manufacturer's contact information. The store is willing to help facilitate the customer, if she would like to pursue a claim with the manufacturer.

Thank you kindly.