Aamco Transmission of Sarasota (Clark Rd)

3 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 1 closed in last 12 months

10/17/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

The repair diagnos I was given for my vehicle was incorrect.
On September 3rd 2014 I brought my vehicle, a 2001 F 150 to AAMCO for a diagnosis. ***** ******* the store manager informed my engine had a cracked head or damaged head gasket. after discussing possible repairs with him he came to the conclusion that the only option was for me to replace the engine. his suggestion was an engine replacement service totaling $3665 for parts and $1881 for labor, for a grand total of $5,546, with a 3 year /unlimited mileage warranty. he was very adamant that I have these repairs done as soon as possible. that incorrect diagnosis cost me $144
I then took my truck to the Ford service department at the dealership. their diagnosis found 2 leaks. one from the coolant reservoir hose. and another from a different vacuum hose. they also informs me all 8 spark plugs were fouled. I was informed that I did not have a cracked head or head gasket. the grand total for the repairs was $572. my vehicle is now running great.
this incident with Amco leaves me wondering if my previous repairs on December 31st 2013, at the same location where necessary. I was told I needed a new transmission. those repairs cost me $3078.

$ 144 diagnosis charge, since this was proven to be incorrect.

To whom it my concern:

I have looked into this matter and spoke with the tech who made the original diagnosis. He performed a block test that detected exhaust fumes in the coolant which would indicate a bad cylinder head.

If this is not accurate it is an honest mistake on our technicians part. We are certainly and honest business and would never intentionally mislead one of our customers.

We would be happy to refund the $144 diagnostic charge and please accept our apologies.

02/21/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I was under the impression that my car wasn't able to drive until a new transmission was rebuilt. After research, this seems to be unecessary repair
Went to Aamco for a dignostic on Dec 6, 2012. They kept my car overnight and drove it to one of their homes in North Port, Fl (25 miles away one way)for further diagnosing, after setting me up with a renatal car from hertz for #30/day. They called me in the next day Dec 7, 2012 stating my torque converter was the problem and that it failed and they would need to rebuild my tranmission. I replied saying I would drive it home to Englewood Fl (30 miles away) and call around, as the estimate was $2,600. they advised me that I should not drive it at all, and that it would definately cause more damage. They then prompted me to fill out payment plans to see what amount I would be appoved for. I finally consented to have them start the repair. They stated they wouldn't likely start working on it until sat morning. I left with only with what they gave me, my GE loan information that I was approved for and was told I would get my receipt when they were finished working on my car. Upon leaving Aamco I was disgusted with the cost so my boyfriend began to do some research online. The 2007 saturn vue had a recalled part, the torque converter. I immediately phoned Aamco and told them of my discovery and they said they would look into it and get back with me. I phoned them tuesday Dec. 11th at 11:40 to see the progress and the mechanic said that no code ever came up for a recalled torque converter. I decided to look into this further. On dec 12th, I received a phone call from Aamco saying they had bad news; since they dont make the transmission that is in my saturn anymore, they had to locate a bolt from somewhere, as they didn't have one. and the bolt would not be in until tomorrow and my car would not be done until Thursday afternoon, or Friday. I hung up and I called a GM dealership to inquire about the recalled part myself. I gave him all my information that I had about the saturn, including the VIN #. he explained to me that the torque converter on my saturn had been recalled and to bring it in immediately to a GM dealership. after explaining to me it was covered. I explained my situation to him and told him my car was currently at an Aamco getting the transmission rebuilt. He phoned me back with****** from the service department. She advised me to call Aamco and explain that the part had been recalled and to ask why they didn't just replace that in the first place. When I phoned Aamco, they said that the reason my transmission was being replaced was NOT beacuse of a torque converter, but because my mileage was high (81,000) and my transmission blew.
I then phoned ***** back, who was extremely distrought over all this and asked me question after question of what they told me, and wondered why they never replaced just the converter in the first place. She then suggested I call a tow truck to take my saturn to a dealership where they would see what was going on. I phoned Aamco to tell them that I was given my consent for the tow to pick up my car and take it to a dealership where they would see what was going on, and they informed me that my transmission was not in my car, so they wouldn't release it. I phoned back ***** to tell her and she seemed convinced that they were ripping me off. My coworker then phoned Aamco to tell them when I picked up my car they needed to give me all of the bad parts and throw nothing out so I could take those parts to a dealership.

I still have not recieved my car back after one week of repair. I want to know if I was taken advantage of. I also want to know why I was given two completely diffrent stories on why my tansmission needed to be replaced. and when I asked that they inquire further on my torque converter recall, they said this part on my vechicle was NOT recalled. If this was unecessary work, I also want to be reimbursed for my rental car for $30/day for one week.

This response was taken verbally by BBB:

There was a recall on the car for reprogramming the computer. There was a possibility that it would affect the torque converter but that is not the reason the transmission failed. The dealership resetting the computer would not fix the issues with the transmission. We have the replacement done and are just waiting on one nut to complete the job. The recall from the dealership was for shuttering at 40 miles per hour. The complaint she brought the vehicle in for was slipping between 1st and 2nd gear. The lady that called from the dealership service department called us demanding that we release the vehicle, we talked to the service manager who said that they would have reflashed the computer and that only on some instances do they replace the torque converter. The clutches on her vehicle were worn down which made the 1st and 2nd gear slip. The transmission had to be rebuilt in order to fix the clutches and we replace the torque converter automatically when that is the problem because clutch material gets into the torque converter. This vehicle has a Honda transmission and they are known for clutches wearing down with high mileage. At no point did we say that the torque converter was the cause, we just said we replace it as part of the rebuild. We are willing to deduct 5 days worth of rental car fees from the total bill to make up for the delay in receiving the nut. We will call her when its ready to come in and pick up the vehicle.

This response was taken verbally by BBB:

I have taken the clutches the business gave me to another transmission shop who said they were in perfect condition. They said if they were bad the smell would be burnt and I wouldn't even be able to drive the car. I will ask them to put their statement in writing. Aamco said they were so worn and needed to be replaced but now I am getting a different story. I disagree with the reason they say I brought my car in the first place. I brought it in for the vibration, the car was still driving but had a vibration. It wasn't because of missing 1st and 2nd like they said. The company even said he drove it to his home in North Port to try and figure out what the problem was. I have that message saved on my phone if needed. I would like to meet with the company and the GM service adviser to discuss the matter.

This response was taken verbally by BBB:

I tried to contact the GM service adviser at the dealership to set up a meeting with the customer. He said he does not want to get involved and does not feel it would do anything but cause more problems.

09/20/2012Billing / Collection Issues