BBB Accredited Business since 06/11/1999

Tuffy Auto Service Center

3 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 1 closed in last 12 months

03/18/2013Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Ad for 9.95 oil change,w/"details in store". Other details not disclosed w/ phone contact. Visit to store revealed credit app required. Still refused.
My father gave me a coupon for a 9.95 oil change at Tuffy Auto Centers. I called and asked if I could get service today, did I need an appointment or anything. I was told, no just bring it in, I might have to wait up to an hour, but it could be done. No mention was made of additional terms. When I got to the store, I was told that the special required that I complete a credit application. Having had a bankruptcy in the last two years, I knew the app would not be approved, but I filled it out to play their little game, and comply with the "terms" of the offer.

The Credit application had a heading "Apply for a Preferred Tuffy Card and get a $9.95 Oil Change!*"

The * referred to a statement below : *Completed application entitles applicant to a $9.95 Oil Change. Oil change includes oil filter, oil change with up to 5 quarts of quality oil and chassis lube. See store for details. In lieu of other offers. Most cars and light trucks.

Nothing in that statement required that the application be "approved" to qualify for the oil change.

Another line stated: " Instant Credit Available**"
referring to an even smaller set of print which said " **Offer is subject to credit approval. Minimum purchase required.

I had no intention of accepting their "available instant credit" even if I was approved, I intended paying cash, as I have done since my bankruptcy was final.

The issues of my complaint are as follows:
1. The ad did not indicate credit app required
2. Phone communication did not indicate credit app required
3. The offer in the store required a completed application, not an approved one.
4. I wasted time and gasoline only to be refused
their advertised price.
5. I faced the humiliation of being publicly declined in order to play their game, only to be refused their advertised price.

I want the advertised price to be honored, and I want compensation for my wasted time and gasoline.

This response was taken verbally by BBB:

The advertisement states see store for details and upon approval. I will fax a copy to BBB for review. The customer was not approved.

I am not satisfied. There is no explanation as to why the phone call I made asking about using the ad did not result in an explanation about the credit app. I would not have wasted my time and gas to go to the store had the employee revealed the "details". There was no explanation as to why the credit app states "*completed application entitles applicant to a $9.95 Oil Change" . It does not say the app has to be approved, merely completed, which I did. I still maintain they have engaged in false advertising. I have copies of the ad and the credit application. Tuffy, failed to disclose the terms of the offer when I called the store, they failed to honor the offer's stated terms on the credit application. My scanner is malfunctioning, so I will be sending copies in via regular US Mail

This response was taken verbally by BBB:

We let the customer know verbally before she filled out the application that it must be approved in order to get the $9.95 oil change. In order to satisfy the customer she can go to the *********** location in ***** and give them my name (****** ******) and we will offer her a $9.95 oil change out of goodwill.

10/31/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Timing belt on my 03 Hyundai Sonata popped had it towed to tuffy on **** a simple job took 2 days then gives me a call to say my valve broke. And it would be and additional 1500 to 2000 to fix nothing was wrong with my car but the belt on top of that due to this error it locked my engine which costed me an additional 1000 to buy a new engine.

I just want my refund of the 211 I paid plus the 1000 I had to pay out of pocket

This response was provided verbally to BBB:

This vehicle was towed in with a broken timing belt. She approved the diagnostic and we explained that we had to pull the timing belt off and put a new one on. Because she has an interference engine we had to run the timing belt to see if the valves were broken when the timing belt broke. We explained this to the customer before the repair began. After we took the timing belt off and ran the new one it was misfiring and the valves were broken. The customer did not want to approve the repair and said she would just come and pick it up.

My car was working perfectly fine until you people broke even my mechanic stated you guys set the timer on the belt wrong which caused my valve to bend or be broken and on top of that you had the courage to charge me for something u didnt fix then on top of that u sent the rest of my car parts in the trunk in a box thats not professional if u couldn't do the job or didnt know what u where do u could of said so nd I could had someone else who knew what they were doing to fix it

This response was provided verbally to BBB:

If you look at the original complaint that she sent you can see that she didn't have someone else fix it. She had someone put a used engine in it which is exactly what we told her to do. The vehicle came in on a tow with a broken timing belt which bends valves on interference motors. It is a 50/50 chance that some of the valve don't get bent. She told us to go ahead and install the timing belt and leave the rest of the vehicle as is. The only thing we charged her for was the tear down and the timing belt. We gave her the option of replacing the engine but we told us to go ahead and try to put the timing belt on to see if that would work. It was her option between replacing the timing belt for about $200 or replacing the with used engine with low mileage for about $1400.

Your a liar you never said that u told me it would be 1500 to 2000 additional to fix the bent valve due to the fact your so call mechanics set the timing belt on my engine wrong which caused my engine to lock thats not fair to me I have to pay for your mistake

02/29/2012Problems with Product / Service