West Florida

Warnky Heating & Cooling

7 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 0 closed in last 12 months

10/15/2012Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: None of the Above - Refund or Exchange Complaint Issue

Complaint: Company did not perform service I have paid for.
Contacted via email, no response.
After the trouble with our AC system started (BBB Case# ********, on 09/16/2011 we signed up for a twice a year clean and check preventive maintenance agreement. The company charged $149 up front but never performed this service. Also the company did never contact us to schedule any appointments for this.
Via email on 09/18/2012 I did ask company for refund but did not get any response.

I have no problem refunding Mr. *******' money. However, I am not in the United States, and was not in the country when he sent the email. As that money comes from. A separate hold account for revenue that cannot be recorded until the work is done(IRS Requirment) it cannot be refunded until it is moved from that account. While I am still on vacation, all I can do is set up a transfer. Once the money his the main account, I will instruct my secretary to refund his credit card. Had he bothered to call the office, this could have been handled much sooner. He'll be refunded by the end of the month.

Our maintenance agreement states appointment are to be made "by the customer at their convenience every 6 months" and to call the main number to schedule. He never did this. Technically he allowed his agreement to expire as a gym membership of extended warranty would have. However, he is impossible to please, as I am sure you remember from the previous complaint! However, he emailed my personal email after I left for Europe, never called the office, and I am still out of the country. I only got this email because I have wiFi in the restaurant I'm in. We'll refund him as soon as the money transfers. Please let him know as I have now way to call him from here. Thanks!

Problem resolved by company. Company issued refund.

02/13/2012Problems with Product / Service
09/20/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Failure to respond to phone calls or written requests for assistance or support

Complaint: Failed to respond to numerous calls for emergency service.
Rheem model #RHLL-HM3617JA AC unit, installed 3/2310,, failed to operate 9/7/13 after power failure. I called 4 times between 7 and 10 PM, had to go elsewhere to sleep. Called all day Sunday, my son called, he also left a message on Facebook. I called this morning, 9/9, for a total of 14 calls, and emailed ******, still no response. My unit is still under warranty. This is terrible situation , no respect for customer.

Along with thousands of customers statewide who use T-mobile & Metro PCS, our phone service was down over the weekend. As soon as we realized it Monday I was working to correct it. We called Ms. *****, who is no longer under labor warranty first thing when we received the missing voice mails. I felt terrible about what happened, even though it was not our fault and we could have never known that calls were going straight to voicemail, and emailed her personally with the email below. She was just plain nasty and in unaccepting like we had intentionally ignored her calls.

She has been our customer for three years and NEVER had a time she couldn't get us. We performed her complimentary clean and check and a service call during this time providing prompt and expedited service, but apparently none of that makes any difference to her. She is no longer under labor warranty and could have used any company, not that I wanted that to happen but since I had no control over the outage, this would have been preferable other than her going without air.

I have offered her a complimentary maintenance for her trouble, and just got rude remarks and nasty emails back. After the owner of a company writes something like the email I wrote below, and personally responds on Facebook and the customer is still abusive, I just don't know how she can be pleased. The fact that she is even allowed to submit a complaint against my name for something I had no knowledge or control over, or that after I made an effusive effort to apologize she reacts this way is ludacris. I am really just floored and have no idea what else to do. Many other companies had similar issues, and in 18 years we have never had a problem. Acts of God are beyond our control and most companies would not offer any kind of concession for something out of their control. The fault was the telephone provider not ours and I'm afraid there is no way to make this woman understand this.

******* ******

This response was provided verbally to BBB:

I do not accept their response. A company of this size should have a more advanced phone system. I will never do business with them again.

Complaint Resolution: BBB determined that despite the company's reasonable effort to address complaint issues, the consumer remained dissatisfied.

06/26/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Improper or inferior repair

Complaint: WARNKY INSTALLED A NEW A/C.DID A VERY SHODDY JOB. CRACKS KEEP APPEARING AND LOSING AIR.THEY RETURNED 3 TIMES TO REPAIR & SAME THING KEEPS HAPPENING.
PURCHASED APPROX. MAY 29, 2012. COST APPROX. $2,490. PAYMENT WITH MASTER CARD. INSIDE UNIT LOSING AIR FROM CRACKS ON DUCTS ON SIDES OF A/C UNIT. THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH SIDE DUCTS TO BEGIN WITH. SOME KID ON HIS FIRST OR SECOND DAY ON THE JOB APPLIED THE ADHESIVE AND DID A TERRIBLE JOB, VERY ROUGHLY DONE. WHERE AS IT ONCE WAS NICE AND SMOOTH. ALSO DID PARTIALLY THE SAME TO MY GARAGE CEILING ABOVE THE UNIT.

On 5/26/12 I gave Mr. ******* an estimate to replace his Air Conditioner. Because of the age of his system and condition of the unit, I did not recommend replacing the ductwork, electric or line set. As you can see both the signed invoice and estimate indicate "to existing lines, electric and ductwork", Mr. ******* did not wish to pay for, nor did need the plenums replaced.

The installation took place 5/29/12, went perfectly fine and Mr. ******* paid in full(which I venture to say he would not of had there been anything "shoddy" as he suggests). The only issue the technicians had during the installation is that the code had changed since Mr. *******'s original installation and the new Florida Building and Energy code required the plenums(the duct work boxes that seal to the air handler) be sealed with mastic(a fiber reinforced paste that drys hard) for a distance no less than 30" from the air handler. Mr. ******* did not like this, nor did he want us to use it, but as we ALWAYS work to code and ALWAYS pull a permit, we had no choice but to do the job to code.

On the 30th of May 2012, Mr. ******* called stating that some tape had come loose at the point where it attaches to the air handler. We use a pressure sensitive tape and apparently enough pressure had not been applied. So, we rushed right out on the 31st and repaired the issue. The unit was inspected by the city, passed without a single defect, the first time and there was no other issue until May of this year.

Early May of this year, Mr. ******* called screaming that the same problem was occurring and we needed to come back out. Because he is under a 2-year labor warranty(double the industry standard), we happily scheduled him. On May 10th my technician found that there was a cut in the plenum in no way similar to the problem or part of the work we did. This was actual damage to the plenum, but it also was in an area that was part of his original ductwork which would not be under warranty. Mr. ******* had painted the plenums grey, and the cut in the plenum was not tape coming off as he had indicated, it was 26" away from any work we did and it was, due to the plenums being painted, was very obviously, where something had scratched the paint away and sliced inward. There was no peeling or flaking, and the original tape from when the plenums were built can be seen in the photos running the opposite direction. My technician called me and I told him to go ahead, as a courtesy, and repair it free of charge since he was already there. Mr. ******* refused to allow us to repair it and refused to allow it to be masticed. He wanted entirely new plenums.

Retrofitting plenums is like reinstalling the air handler, and we would typically charge $400 each to replace them, but I authorized my technician to give Mr. ******* a price of $200 each which is materials only. As the work we did was still perfect and intact, I did this as a measure of goodwill, but Mr. ******* was not satisfied. So, he called the head city inspector who told him the work was quality, mastic is difficult to work with but it is required by code, and that we gave him an excellent price for the plenums and were a good company. I know all this as the head inspector called me to let me know of the conversation. Of course this did not support Mr. *******'s desires so he then contacted the BBB.

Mr. ******* is requesting we give him something he does not need, and that we do it for FREE based on his claim that our work resulted in the current need for repair. however, our work was exactly as contracted, not "shoddy" in any way, and 100% up to FL building code. The portion in question is not even part of the work we did. I can't imagine why he would even want my company to do that type of work if he feels the work was poor, but what he is asking is for us to rebuild his plenums, ignoring FL Building code and to not seal his plenums with mastic. I will not do that.

It is obvious, by the pictures, that this damage is not poor workmanship, but is the effect of something cutting into the plenum. However, since this is not part of his installation or the work we did(it is his existing duct work) it has no warranty from us. Mr. ******* still has a complimentary clean and check, and I am still willing to seal the cut with tape and mastic, as ***** offered to do on 5/10/13, FREE of charge while we are there. He can call us anytime to schedule and we'll take care of this for him.

******* * ******

THE PROBLEM HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE MASTIC TAPE. IT IS THE ADHESIVE PASTE THEY PUT ON TOP OF THE PLENUMS/MASTIC. KEEPS CRACKING AND AIR COMES OUT. I DID NOT SCREAM A THEM AND THEY ARE NOT BEING TRUTHFUL. BOTTOM LINE PEOPLE SHOULD BE WARNED OF WARNKY, ARE HIRE ANOTHER COMPANY.

01/22/2013Problems with Product / Service