BBB Accredited Business since 04/25/2013

Tri-State Heating and Air Conditioning, Inc.

11/08/2012Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

My wife and I were gone for about 6 weeks to Michigan for a family emergency. When we returned, we found that the A/C was not working. The unit inside the garage was running but the unit outside was not. We have a home warranty through ARW. We called them since the house was extremely hot in the insde. My wife is a heart bypass paitent, and I have lung problems. ARW sent out a technician from Tri-State Heating and Air Conditioning. Just to add a note here; we had driven that day 13 hours to get and we were both extremenly tired. When the technician arrived, he went to were the outside unit was and did something to make the the cooling fan work. However, when he looked up. He immediately turned the fan off. He then informed me that the compressor was out of freon and that was why the fan was not working. He then came inside and pulled the front of the unit off and looked at it and informed me that the freon had leaked of the evaporotor coils. That the coils would have to be replaced. He then went back outside and said he could put some freon back into compressor to make it work until he could come back and replace the evaportor coil if he could find one. If not he would have to replace the entire inside unit. The next day, the technian called and me that the repair part was going to cost between $1300.00 and $1600.00 plus labor. However, he was still looking for the part. Till this day, he has never called back. Looking at this cost and after talking to my wife, we decided to look into just replacing the entire A/C unit to a more engery efficiant model. We contact Pro-Tech to get an estimate on a Tran system. The technician who came out checked the entire system with a sniffer and could find no leeks. He also stated that my system should have only taken 7 lbs of freon not 9 lbs. Also, the fan should have stayed running to keep the compressor cool when it ran out of freon not shut down. It is designed to stay running. Checked with another person in Michigan, same answer
Order_Number: *****

I beleive their technican didn't know what he was doing and was just trying to get money from someone who he thouht he could. He never used any professional tools to check for leeks before or even after putting freon in the system.I realize that under our warranty ARW didn't cover evaportor coils and I was willing to accept that and to pay for what ever was bad on my system. However, when another professional comes out and inspects and says nothing wrong, then their is somehting wrong with Tri

I was with the Tech. the entire time except for a couple of minutes at the very beginning when he was outside. Once inside, I was with him the entire time. Whern he took the front off of the unit inside, he did not use any type of tool other than the nut driver to take the front of the unit off. He just looked at it and then informed that the coils were leaking. He never tested anything.

As for the the tech from Pro-Tech being dishonest. He actually told me that my unit was not leaking and nothing was wrong with it other than being very inefficiant due to the age of the unit and it was up to me whether or not I wanted to replace the unit. In addition, that evening, I contacted my nephew who is the supervisor for heating and cooling at a major hospital in Michigan. He also told me the same thing that the Pro-Tech tech had told me orginally about the fan on the outside unit. My nephew would not tell me anything that was not correct. After all, he would have absoulty nothing to gain about of this.

Yes, I did tell the tech to get the air running. However, I don't believe after talking to two other professionals who both told be the same thing about my unit. That the tech that actually serviced my told me the truth. In addition, he also should have followed up as to whether or not he could have gotten the part. So I could have have a decision as to what I need to do.