BBB Accredited Business since 02/13/2009

Pinellas Comfort Systems, Inc.

2 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 2 closed in last 12 months

01/13/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Overcharging and deceit in billing
On Dec 11, PSC came to fix a non-heating problem on a unit we bought from, and was installed, by them on 4/9/13 - after 90 min the repairman said the high limit switch was stuck open that he did not have a replacement. He said that he had to charge me $128.00 for his work. According to the manual the limit switch is the first thing that should be checked - so I could not see a 90 min charge for this, nor being charged at all, at this time, for a unfinished job. (no one I have talked to since has experienced a unfinished job charge from anyone)
I called the PSC office and the lady in charge said that that was the way they did it, that she would give priority to finding the part, and only charge me for the part when they came to put it in the unit.
The next day (12/12)they sent a man out and he replaced the part, did some checking of unit operation, and charged me $278.00 - then took off the $128.00 that they charged for the first visit, which resulted in a final overall charge of $278 to get a limit switch replaced.
Since the lady said that all she would charge for the second visit would be the cost of the part, I was astounded. I asked the repairman how much the part cost he said that he did not know. I asked for the part number and he did not know that either.
Not knowing the part number I have searched as best I can for cost and the highest priced thermal limit switch I can find is $37.00.
Since the second trip was needed only because they did not have a basic part on the truck I feel the first charge, the day of unfinished work, was the means whereby the lady was going to cover the cost of the time wasted for not having the part. Why else charge for a unfinished job?

I would like the part number and cost of part replaced so I can get a feel for the honesty of the company I have been dealing with.
Also, the first man was here for aprox. 90 min, charged $128, or a bit over $2.00 for each minute. The second repairman was here for aprox. 20 min and the original charge was $278.00, if the price of the part is indeed around $37.00 that would leave a visit charge of $241.00 or about $12.00 per minute, I would like to know why?
Other than the above, if after you, the BBB discuss this with PCS, you think this PCS dealt fairly with me and that there practice's are acceptable in Clearwater - then I will accept your judgment But if you think, as I do, that the lady connived to extract extra money from me to cover a fault of their own, then I would expect a fair refund and something in the BBB web site to warn others to beware of PCS.

The day we received the complaint, **** called and spoke with the customer and we refunded the customer half of their charges, the customer is thrilled.

The owner called me after I filed the BBB complaint. I did try to reach him before filing but I don't think the employees told him. He was very understanding and apologetic. He was fair with me and I am very happy with the company now, I will continue to use them and would recommend them to others. I think this was just a misunderstanding with one employee but the owner made everything right.

09/15/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Continuous issues with install of system that has resulted in multiple repair charges
6 years ago I had an a/c unit that was installed. Since the install there has been nothing but issues with the system. Each time Pinellas Air Comfort comes to property there are charges because of the work they have completed.
A perfect example is, this year I had routine maintenance completed on the property. While the tech was out he found that a wire was improperly wired and ''fixed''. Two months later when it started getting hot the A/C unit was not cooling the house (not the first time in 6 years this has happened). Called for service and it was determined that there was a leak in a valve. I was quoted $375.00 for the repair because the part was not under warranty (per the tech). Additionally, at the time of service they had to put additional Freon in the system (again, this has occurred multiple times). I was told by the tech that since the leak was small the Freon would last a few weeks.
The next week a different tech serviced the account. I was called after the work was completed and told my bill was $515. This was over the price I was quoted the week prior of $375.00. Also, I was told the system needed additional Freon because it was gone.
The company was contacted, where I was told the part was under warranty and the charges charged were for labor only.
From install to repairs this company has caused nothing but unnecessary charges almost each year since the system has been installed. They provide quotes that they do not honor nor do they notify before the work is completed to tell of additional charges. The work completed by own techs have been identified as being improperly done.

Additionally, the company has not provided documentation on what was completed one work that has been performed.

A refund of all charges that resulted in bad repairs by the company / any charges for parts/labor that were under warranty. Additionally, the company should send a qualified tech to review the install of the system for any other bad work completed.

On July 18, 2008, we quoted two different brand systems, Trane and Goodman/Amana for a rental unit for the consumer. Customer elected to go with the Goodman/Amana being that it was roughly $400.00 less than the Trane unit. On April 15, 2011 (over 2+1/2 years later) we received a service request of not cooling. Finding a refrigerant leak in the manufacturers indoor unit cooling coil, replacing the coil provided by the manufacturer-charging the owner for labor, refrigerant+manufacturer handling fees for the part, also providing maintenance on the system at this time.
July 25,2014 (again over 3 years later) found refrigerant leak at the manufacturers service valve quoting $375.00 for replacement of the valve. It is unclear on wether we effectively communicated with the owner the refrigerant would be an extra charge of $146.00 (it was not noted on the service technicians service ticket). For that reason we are refunding the entire $521.00 for the lack of communication on our behalf and the inconvenience of the homeowner.
Worth noting, at the time of original proposal we had encouraged a 10 year parts and labor extended warranty due to the fact Goodman/Amana is a more economically priced system but they are prone to having a higher experience service rate then our main line of Trane. We totally respect the fact of going with a more economically priced system, especially for a rental unit. Our method of business is to give our customer options that best serve their needs.It is unfortunate they have had multiple failures on this system, however I'd like to bring to light the failures were due to manufacturers component breakdown not our installation or service practices.It is our goal in business to have 100% customer satisfaction experience. We have left voice mail on the homeowners phone to contact our office so we may come out and assure them the system is up and running properly at no charge to the customer.

I elected to purchase the unit that was recommended for the rental that had the option to add on a special filtering system where the filter would only have to be changed once a year. There have been other trips to this property. For instance, a few months ago for a maintenance trip where the tech identified that wires were not properly wired. Wires that would have been wired by Pinellas Comfort Systems.

I was told in regard to this issue this summer that the valve was not covered under warranty only to call and be told it was covered under warranty. Additionally, the quote for the replacement of the valve was for $375.00. Upon replacement of the valve I was notified that payment was needed for $521.00. Not what I was quoted the previous week and I was never notified that additional charges would be made before work was completed. When I called to question the extra charge I was told it was for welding of the valve. Different explanations of charges.

I will accept resolution described above.