BBB Accredited Business since 01/08/2010

Pelican Aire Commercial Service, Inc.

04/22/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Pelican Aire of Clearwater improperly repaired the compressor of my refrigerator billing $1403.07. The refrigerator failed again soon thereafter.
I hired Pelican Aire of Clearwater, Fl on 2/15/13 to fix a walk-in refrigerator that was not holding temperature properly. They sent a technician out to assess the issue. After 2.5 hours he determined that it was the compressor that went bad. I was billed $311.20 for that assessment. They proceeded to order a new compressor at my agreement and returned to finished the job on 2/18/13.

After 5.5 hours on 2/18/13, the compressor was finally installed and all checks and balances were conducted to assure the unit was running properly. I was billed $1091.87 for the 2nd visit, totaling $1403.07.

Shortly after the job was completed by Pelican Aire I began to hear a peculiar, high-pitched noise coming from the top of the unit where the compressor was replaced. I called Pelican Aire on 3/7/13 and expressed my concern about the noise. After much resistance and insistence that I was going to get billed again they agreed to send a technician to assess to noise.
The technician spent no more than 10 minutes and said everything was working properly. The noise persisted and on 3/21/13 the walk-in refrigerator failed again experiencing the same symptoms as before Pelican Aire worked on the unit. Since then I've had to hire another company to properly fix the unit.

I am asking for a full refund of $1403.07. Pelican Aire was negligent in their workmanship, professionalism and previous response.

I would like to include the documentation written by ****** covering the events but it exceeds the amount of space allowed. We have offered on three separate occasions to come out to evaluate the situation and have been denied all three. The first time additional service was requested the customer was advised of the warranty policy and what his and our responsibilities were as it related to the service we performed originally. I have complete documentation of the equipment and the required parts for this system that were used for the customer's repair. At this time there is little we can do to resolve the issue if the customer refuses to let us in. This customer is not a regular customer and we completed his repair when his regular repair company couldn't service him. Factual information on our supposed improper repair will be necessary before we can proceed any further.

Attached is the invoice from the company I hired to properly fix our refrigerator. The issue of why the unit failed was due to the time clock not allowing voltage to pass; wires were found to have a bad connection. Please note,"compressor overheated within 15 minutes of running." This was the same exact symptom the unit experienced BEFORE Pelican Aire recommended and replaced the entire compressor which cost us a total of $1403.07. We at Tropical Smoothie Cafe deserve a full refund as Pelican Aire unnecessarily replaced the compressor, which did not fix the problem of a bad connection with the wires and faulty time clock.

****** ******

I am pleased that Mr. ****** was able to replace his time clock and it is quite possible that the time clock was the reason for his most recent failure. Had Mr. ****** been a little more courteous to the manager he spoke with that evening and to my office staff this may have been able to been resolved in a more equitable fashion. At this time I repeat that I have no intention of any refund and encourage him to use a little more courtesy when requesting service. His nasty behavior was made known to us from the beginning and obviously it didn't end well; for this I remind all that we made the attempt three times and were refused all three.

Thanks,