BBB Accredited Business since 06/10/2010

John Novak, Inc.

08/26/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

find plenum leaking below and above ceiling in garage air ducts leaking into attic
there isn't enough air flow to back bedrooms

need more air flow to rear bedrooms

Mr. ******** returned JNI telephone message on Monday, June 9 stating that he had another contractor perform this work and would be satisfied if JNI returned his #350 deposit money. We are willing to these terms as soon as he formally accepts this offer via this correspondence through BBB and a refund will be sent to him.

This response was provided verbally to BBB:

I have not received the promised refund.

02/22/2013Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

Senior citizen discount not itemized on the billing statement.

On January 31, 2013 I contacted ****** ****** Inc,for a service call on my air conditioning unit. I inquired about a senior citizen discount. I was told that yes one will be given. The guy came out for a service call and did a leak test on my air conditioning unit. I was informed that my unit had a freon leak. The gentleman proceeded to write up an invoice.I signed the invoice and paid the down payment.They said they would be back on February 5th, 2013, to complete the job. When the gentleman returned, I was going over the invoice and I could not find where the discount had been applied. I questioned the serviceman about this and he replied that the discount was included in the price. To verify this information,I had my daughter place a call to the company. The gentleman that answered the phone, told me that the discount would be stated on the invoiced. I then went back to the serviceman with this info. he continued with his original story. My daughter confronted serviceman, he said the number she had called was his cell phone and he did not receive any calls from her. She stated her number, he said he had no such number in his call log, before he could erase it,she saw the number listed in his phone and pointed it out to him. After exchanging words, I proceeded to pay the price listed on the invoice. I will never do business with this company ever again. I have requested that the used parts be returned and still have not received them.

I am requesting the refund for my senior citizen discount.

In receipt of Mr ******'s initial call to our office at JNI, on Thursday, January 31 I personally (****** ******, Owner) was contacted and dispatched to respond. I was notified that the customer was a Senior and had inquired about the Senior Citizens Discount, which we do advertise and offer. While at the customers home diagnosing his HVAC problem and discussing with him the options he had available, I was asked multiple times if the total price I quoted and provided in writing included the Senior Citizens Discount to which I responded each time, "Yes". I was also asked if anything would be added to this price if, for example, more refrigerant or labor was necessary to complete the job once started to which I replied, "No, the price includes your discount and is the total amount you will be charged, no more". An estimate was provided, signed and accepted by Mr. ****** and the customers work was scheduled for Tuesday, February 5. Upon completion of the work and presentation of the invoice for payment of balance due, customer signed the copy and the technician prepared to leave. As he was going over his copy, customer began questioning technician that the words "Senior Citizens Discount" were not on the invoice and that he did not believe that he had been given a discount because the words were missing. Things quickly went downhill from there, communication-wise; each defending their own position, distrustful of each other and no agreement was reached at that time. Subsequently, the customer requested his "old parts" be returned, which they were the day after they were removed. He has also threatened to contact the police (because he thought the parts were not being returned to him even after being assured that they were), said the parts we returned were not his parts and requested factory warranty in writing (which was provided). All successful communication since has been through telephone calls with his daughter via my secretary.

Customer was given discounted rate for initial service call of $42.75 (regular rate $61.25)
Customer requested and was given discounted rate for coil install (regular contract price of $1,375.00 - 10% Senior Citizen Discount)
JNI feels we have fulfilled our contract with Mr. ****** and contacted our Field Service Representative through American Standard (coil manufacturer) if further communication is necessary since customer no longer wishes to do business with us.

Respectfully submitted,

This response was taken verbally by BBB:

The reason I lodged the complaint is that my daughter called the company and asked if discounts are displayed on the bill and he said yes. The guy was the son of the person who came to my house and did not display it on the bill. When you go to Walmart or anywhere else they show you on the receipt what discount you received. All I wanted was for them to show me how much they gave me as a discount. I paid the bill and it's not about the money, I just want to make other senior citizens aware of repair companies in general trying to do this. I hope I can get justification for the rights I am fighting for me and others. If you say your going to do something, it is only right that you do what you say. When he showed me the receipt I asked him to show me the discount and the first thing he said is that I already signed the bill.