West Florida

BBB Accredited Business since 08/03/2010

Conditioned Air Corporation of Naples, Inc.

3 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 1 closed in last 12 months

09/15/2014Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Agreed to work at a specific price with their service technician. After work is performed, office staff calls to say price is higher.
I have had two bad experiences with this company. The first deals with deceptive sales practices.

I had them out to perform service on an air conditioning unit. After fixing my unit, the service technician described an annual maintenance contract. He very clearly detailed what was included and what the price would be. Took my signature and e-mailed me a copy of the service contract.

The next day, two different ladies from their office called me to say that there had been a mistake and the cost of the service contract was higher than the price I had paid. I said that they could walk me through the difference when they came to perform the annual maintenance.

"Coincidentally" before conditioned air was able to schedule a visit for the annual maintenance service, another unit that the first service technician looked at to price the service contract, broke and required repairs. While investigating what needed to be repaired, the second technician explained the annual service program, I agreed to the terms, he performed the work and I paid him.

Unfortunately, they did not have the coil on hand to repair the broken unit, so they had to come back a third time. At this time the office people told me through the third technician that the price for the twice a year annual maintenance contract was not correct because it did not include servicing the "clean effects" filter. This filter had been discussed extensively with the first two technicians, they knew about them when they quoted me the price, and in fact the second technician serviced these same filters. After fixing my coil, I paid the third technician. I made it very clear and explicit that the money I paid was for all the repairs and the annual maintenance service contract. That technician agreed.

Recently, while I was away on extended vacation, I received two letters from conditioned air. The first stated that my maintenance contract had expired and that if I wanted it to continue I would have to pay them more money. My contract should be valid through the end of spring 2015. The second letter was an invoice for $90 because I have a maintenance contract valid through the spring of 2015, but I still owed them for having "clean effects" filters on my units. The same charge the third technician said we were all squared away on when he left.

The second problem I had with conditioned air was with the quality of the service performed on my Generac back up generator. In the fall of 2013, the generator failed to work during a power outage. The conditioned air technician said the problem was due to a dead battery. He replaced the battery and charged me over $300 dollars for the parts and labor. He never bothered to investigate why the battery failed to trickle charge.

This spring the Generac failed to work again. This time I used ****'s on the Spot Repair. **** told me it was failing to charge the battery. He replaced the battery, replaced the trickle charger, replaced the on board computer. Now the Generac works and has kept our power on during two subsequent storms. The best thing about ****, besides actually fixing the problem, was that he looked and saw that the unit was still under warranty. Conditioned air never bothered. Total cost to me for all of ****'s work was $90 plus tax for a service call. The money I spent with Conditioned Air was a complete waste. Too bad they don't warrant their shoddy work.

I am not paying conditioned air the $90. I would like a refund for the money I spent on the annual maintenance contract, because I do not intend to use it this Fall. I have no idea what amount this would be because they have changed their story so many times.

Conditioned air need to significantly train their service staff better, especially when it comes to pricing. Three different service technicians, three different stories.

If a service technician quotes a price that happens to be wrong, they should honor it. What am I as a customer supposed to do after they have started work and want to change the price.

As it is, I find Conditioned Air's business practices to be unethical. ****** in their business office is dishonest and lacks integrity. I will never do business with this company again.

I called Mr. ****** ***** on 09/02/2014 and told him that we would gladly refund the money for the Fall portion of his maintenance contract, per his request. We agreed, to the customer's satisfaction, on a refund of $297. We also deleted the charge for $90. After this, I also offered Mr. ***** a free two year maintenance agreement; however, he did not want to proceed with Conditioned Air.

I apologized to Mr. ***** for the inconvenience we had caused and asked him if there was anything else we could do to win him back as a customer. Mr. ***** indicated that he had already contracted with another service provider, but that he appreciated the phone call and our resolution to this matter. He also indicated that upon receiving information from the BBB regarding this case, he would notify you that this matter had been satisfactorily resolved.

Their response to my complaint is accurate. I consider the matter resolved.

04/23/2013Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Called the company to go out and inspect my A/C which was leaking water and the work needed to be done and price by them was 10 times higher.
The company quoted me work needed to be done and a price that was 10 times higher than 2 other subsequent estimates. They told my father and myself it would be atleast $1,200.00 to fix and a new unit altogether would be 8k to 10k to put in. Once we heard that we knew we were being ripped off. So, the guy wanted money for the service call of coming out and I waited til I got two other estimates and would have paid him if the other estimates were similar. They were not. They were both around $170.00 and I went with one of them and when I told the two guys what conditioned air said and wanted to charge they laughed and said I was being taken advantage of. The unit has been fixed for 7 months and works great for 170 dollars and not 1200 dollars. Since they tried to take advantage of someone 900 miles away that is why they shouldn't get paid and why I am filing this complaint.

Drop collection efforts. They will never get paid but this complaint will stain there company for years to come.

Dear Mr. ******,

First, I'm glad to hear that the system in your rental house is operating just fine and has been for some time now. I know that when we were called out to the home, the air handler coil was frozen over with ice and needed to be fully thawed out before a full diagnosis could be performed. Common causes of this condition include a leak in the refrigerant system and clogged filters that restrict air flow over the coil; both conditions cause the coil to run too cold and thus, form ice. We were still in the process of diagnosing the problem when we were asked for approximate costs of various scenarios. The scenarios presented represented worse-case situations and were prior to being able to diagnose the true problem. It was at this point we were asked to leave and did so. I'm sorry we did not get the opportunity to fully examine the problem prior to being dismissed. Since our service techs are not paid commissions on repair parts and procedures and have no sales quota imposed on them, they have no motivation to over-sell repairs or items. We hold this behavior in the highest regard.
Again, I'm glad the system continues to run well. We have, as you asked, waived the diagnostic fee associated with the after-hours call. I would hope you would consider us again in the event of an air conditioning need.

****** ******, President & COO