BBB Accredited Business since 09/22/1992

All Season Air Conditioning and Heating, Inc.

10/02/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Repair technician either improperly diagnosed the problem or damaged the pool heat pump while attemting to repair the system. System must be replaced.
The reason I am filing this complaint is because All Season Air Conditioning and Heating charged me a total of $735 for repairs to my Rheem pool heat pump and it still does not work. In fact, the heat pump must now be replaced at a significant cost to me.

Here are the facts:
1. On 20 May 2014 All Seasons replaced the fan motor and blade on the heat pump. I was not present at the time but I did talk to the technician by phone because the $515 charge seemed excessive to me. I asked the technician how long the repair took and he told me one hour. I questioned why All Seasons was charging for two hours labor and was told that I was being charged for the time it took the technician to go pick up the parts from their supplier.
2. The next day, I noticed that the heat pump was not working. An All Season repair technician came to investigate and determined that the refrigerant was too low. After adding refrigerant, the system began working and the technician told me there was likely a leak in the refrigerant system. I was charged $120.
3. I did not need to use the heat pump until 7 June 2014. When I attempted to use it, the heat pump would not work. All Seasons sent a technician to investigate and he determined the refrigerant had leaked. He tried to find the leak but could not. I was charged $100.
4. The heat pump still does not work. It is clear there is a leak in the refrigerant system and the heat pump must be replaced.

Only two scenarios are possible. Either there was a pre-existing leak in the refrigerant system before the technician replaced the motor and fan or the technician caused a leak when replacing the motor and fan. In either case, All Seasons is negligent. If there was a pre-existing leak, it would have been easy to detect by checking the refrigerant pressure. I would have never replaced the motor if I was informed there was a leak in the refrigerant system as well as a bad fan motor. The improper diagnosis constitutes very poor service. The only other option is that the technician damaged the refrigerant system causing a leak during the motor replacement. This is also very poor service. The end result is that I must replace the heat pump.

I should not be expected to pay for a new fan motor and blade that will never be used. All Seasons can remove the motor and blade and return them to their supplier for a refund. I should not be expected to pay one hour labor for the time it took the technician to pick up the parts from their supplier. That is just the cost of doing business.

Refund of cost of fan and fan motor. Refund of cost of labor to pick up parts from the supplier.

Mr. *******'s complaint is unfounded. Nothing was done without complete disclosure to the *******'s and in fact was done against our advice. On May 20th, 2014, our technician informed Mr. ******* that his pool heat pump motor was bad and was an expensive, custom order part, which he instructed us to order. The motor was installed and the system was running when the technician left. On May 21st, 2014, we returned and found the unit low on Freon. At that time, the system was checked for the leaks as much as we could. Informed Mr. ******* that the leak was most likely in the exchanger which could not be leak checked and only charged for the freon added. As expected, the freon leaked out again and Mr. ******* was advised to replace the unit. Mr. ******* then insisted we try using leak stop as a last effort to avoid replacing the unit and was only charged for the additive; once again, no additional labor or service charges were added. When the leak stop failed to fix the problem, he then decided to file a complaint with his credit card company which he used to pay for our products and services. Only after his own financial institution reviewed all of our written and signed documentation did he decide to file a complaint with the BBB. While we certainly understand Mr. *******'s being upset about the amount of money he spent on a pool heat pump that ultimately needed to replaced, no work was performed without consent and complete disclosure. In fact, as there was no additional service or labor fees assessed on any of our return visits we feel that we have gone above and beyond what is considered reasonable efforts to address Mr. *******'s concerns.

The statement that All Seasons Air Conditioning and Heating advised against replacing the fan motor is not true. The response statement from All Seasons Air Conditioning and Heating that they believe the Freon leak is in the heat exchanger proves my point that the technician was negligent by not checking the Freon pressure levels when initially diagnosing the problem with the heat pump. If All Seasons had told me there was a Freon leak and a bad motor, I would NEVER have approved the motor replacement. I did file a complaint with the credit card company and they agreed that the technician was negligent in not informing me of the Freon leak in addition to the bad fan motor. Since the technician added Freon to make the heat pump run at the time of the repair there was nothing the credit card company could do and they recommended I file a BBB complaint so that other consumers would be aware of the poor services provided by this company. The bottom line is that I paid this company $735 for a repair to a heat pump that did not work a few hours after the "repair" was completed. I must now replace the entire unit at a considerable cost to me. I asked that All Seasons remove and return the Fan and Motor that they installed since they will never be used and refund me the cost of those items. They refused and instead will keep the profit that they earned by performing this unnecessary "repair".

As Mr. ******* was advised at the time of our first visit, the freon level cannot be checked unless the motor is running. Therefore, after diagnosing the bad motor he was advised that he may have a freon leak and that the motor is a non-returnable custom ordered part. In fact, Mr. ****** advised Mr. ******* to get rid of the heat pump all together and install a solar heating system. Something that we do not sell, install or repair and would receive no profit from if he choose to do so. After replacing the motor it was determined that he did in fact have a freon leak as well. Mr. ******* insisted we put freon in the unit on two separate visits because he "had company visiting" and he wanted them to be able to enjoy the pool. Despite our advising him that it would just leak out again and for which we only charged him for the freon. There was no negligence in the diagnosing of the heat pump. There just happened to be several things wrong at the same time.