In West Florida

BBB Accredited Business since 10/13/2005

Air Doctor Air Conditioning and Heating, Inc.

Phone: (727) 821-1961Fax: (813) 891-6539

9 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 4 closed in last 12 months

07/24/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint: 6 days without AC because part not ordered.
7/3/14@2pm, Air Doctor AC tech checks system. Needs compressor, but he does not put sufficient information to order part on technician's sheet. As I find out 5 days later. Questioned tech x 2 before he left as to when part avail. Tech states "I don't know". Called Air Doctor office, no answer -after 3pm at this point & holiday weekend. Called AM next avail. business day 7/7/14. Spoke with ***. Than ****** called me back on my home phone. Than **** ****** called me back & I went outside to my AC unit and gave him correct unit numbers so part could be ordered. Mr ******* said part was available & that the schedule would be cleared so that someone could install that day. Kept home phone with me all day waiting for call. I called at 4pm, and spoke with Mr. ****** again. I am now told they need a credit card # to order the part & could install tomorrow afternoon. It will be going on 7 days. Requested my money back for 7/3/14 service call. Everyone was courteous, but this is totally unprofessional business practice. Called another company who will be out at 0800 tomorrow morning, with the part, & system will be fixed same day.

We have apologized to Mrs. ******* for not providing better service. The fact that we serviced her call on Thursday of 4th of July weekend caused a delay in availability of parts and in the end we dropped the ball on Monday following up.

It is always our goal to service our customers quickly and reliably. In this case we did not accomplish that, and in the end it caused Mrs. ****** to choose another service provider to do the repair.

We have refunded the service fee and regret any inconvenience we may have caused.

Initial Consumer Rebuttal

01/14/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Improper or inferior repair

Complaint: Called due to AC not cooling on Nov 12, 2013. Repairman added Freon and unit worked. Used AC TWO days since "repair" and yesterday, AC not cooling.
Called due to AC not cooling on Nov 12, 2013. Repairman added Freon and unit worked. Used AC TWO days since "repair" and yesterday, AC not cooling. Called the supervisor who said there was no warranty on Freon, but THEY told ME what the problem was, not vice versa. I didn't want someone to just put a bandaid on the problem, I wanted it fixed! Now they expect another $235.00 for the same problem! The "supervisor" was exceptionally rude and confrontational.

The customer submitting this complaint has a home warranty with American Home Shield. The agreement and warranties are between her and American Home Shield. She has refused to allow us back out to assess what is happening with her 17 year old air conditioner that we serviced on November 12th.

The terms of her service with American Home Shield include a 60 day warranty on any repairs. All she has to do is call them and Air Doctor or another company will be dispatched to diagnose and repair the problem.

We serviced this customer per our contract with American Home Shield which included a leak test, new Freon caps and 4 lbs of Freon. Our response time was within guidelines and the only monies collected were as per her contract.

We will be glad to service her recall once American Home shield requests us to. There will be no service charge.

12/03/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Improper or inferior service

Complaint: Air conditioner was installed improperly. 5 visits so far and can not pass inspection. Safety issues... Want a refund a contractor I can trust
(Visit 1) May 3, 2013 - Our home warranty company sent this company out when we reported AC problems. Air Doctor said we needed a new AC unit. American Home Shield paid $585.00 we paid the remaining $4315.00 ourselves, by personal checks (canceled checks can be obtained). 1st check was for $1000.00 to initiate work, 2nd check (balance) was after install. First visit was to diagnose trouble, no service performed.

After install, the technician explained he had used the wrong sized circuit breaker and would have to come back (visit 2)

After the technician left we noticed that he had scratched the wall of our newly painted home and also broken the casing around the attic hatch - We called and asked that these issues also be repaired also

(Visit 3) Technician came to make repairs but explained that Home Depot didn't have the correct breaker so he would have to try again later. Painted the wall the wrong color, ignored the broken casing and left

(Visit 4) We asked for a new tech with the right parts, the right paint and a plan for the casing to come out - They came, repainted, caulked (rather than repaired the casing) and worked on AC. Said we were done - just needed inspection

(Visit 5)June 7th - Scheduled our inspection then had to cancel - Some problem at their end

(Visit 6) June 12th - Sixth missed work day... Waited for inspector all morning. Took a business call hung up from the call only to find out that they canceled our inspection because they couldn't reach us right then... There had never been a mention of a necessary confirmation call

(Visit 7) Today July 19th - Failed inspection. Multiple "red tag" issues including spliced wires, missing electrical covers, drain pan not level (leak hazard), unit not centered, ducts improperly connected

We have taken 7 days off and paid $4315 for this result. I want a refund a different company to come correct this. I do not trust Air Doctor to do anything correctly.

I apologize for the bad experience Mr **** has had with this install. We are working with him to make sure that all issues are corrected and the installer involved will not work for Air Doctor any more.

When I received the call that the inspection had failed I had a team of 2 installers on the property correcting the issues. We have corrected all of the issues except for a missing sticker for the heater rating which should have been installed at the factory. I have called the factory and they are sending it to me.

While we did not install the wrong circuit breakers it took us too long to find the proper ones. They were not in stock at the local suppliers.

As for the missed inspections our only involvement is to schedule the inspection. They are performed by the county or city inspectors once the appointment has been made.

If Mr. **** is dissatisfied with any of the work I will make sure that it is redone in a professional manner by Air Doctor.

Once again I apologize for this inconvenience.

*** ******

October 15th - Took another day of vacation today to wait for re-inspection... Failed again. More repairs needed.

Once again Mr. **** cancelled his inspection as he could not be available. As promised we showed up and installed the missing heater sticker. I had arranged for our technician to be there with the inspector so that any issues he found could be cleared up on the spot. The inspection was set for 9-12 am on September 4th. When we called the county to confirm that morning we were informed that the inspection would not be in the morning but would be 1-3 in the afternoon. I believe that Mr. **** has missed 3 inspections at this point.
Pinellas County Building inspections are requested by the contractor and set with the customer. At that point I am done. It is up to the inspector and the customer to be available.
I also received an email from Mr. **** threatening to sue me for cheating out of his home warranty benefits, installing obsolete equipment and damaging his home.
As for the damage to his home he is referring to the casing around the attic entrance. The first time we painted it with standard ceiling paint. Mr. **** then called yelling that he wanted us to use paint that he had at the house. If we knew that to begin with it would have avoided a second trip. At this point if Mr. **** wants I will pay him $300 to let his painter fix the casing.
As for installing the wrong breaker he is mistaken. The existing breaker was still in place and we had to change it. Unfortunately there are many types of circuit breakers and some are more difficult to find. This one had to be ordered. Changing a breaker is a 10 minute job and does not require a vacation day to accomplish.
The red tags received, on the only inspection we had to date, are Air Doctors responsibility. We did in fact correct them the same day as they were identified. I even replaced an existing filter assembly in the ducts that was noted on the inspection sheet, at no cost to Mr. ****.
I have tried very hard to appease Mr. **** but have not been able to. He has defamed my company on internet sites and accused me of installing used, defective or obsolete equipment. He has yelled at my office staff and been very hard to deal with.
I am offering $300 to fix the attic access casing. We still need an inspection or to file a Notice of Owners Refusal to close the permit.

09/23/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Failure to honor a contract or agreement

Complaint: Air Doctor did not honor terms of 2 maintenance agreements. I began calling before expiration date (7/26/13)...have called 4 - 5 times.
I purchased 2 maintenance agreements 07/26/12 for 2 air conditioning units in my residence. 2 inspections & general maintenance 6 mos apart were a part of the agreements. Also priority scheduling was a benefit. I was never contacted for maintenance. 07/02/13 one a/c unit was not cooling. 07/03/13 air doctor concluded I needed one unit repaired or replaced. I decided to repair because I couldn't afford to replace the unit. I was w/out air over 07/04/13 holiday...07/05/13 it was to be repaired. I was called in the afternoon to say I would have to wait until 07/06/13. I wouldn't call that priority scheduling. I called air doctor to ask for my money back before the agreement expired & have repeatedly called about 4 -5 times. No one returns my calls. I was always pleased w/their service in the past.

Since Mrs. ******* has had her air conditioner serviced by another company and called within the terms of her contract we have refuded her money.

07/09/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: None of the Above - Repair Complaint Issue

Complaint: Warranty and repair issues. No AC in Florida during late June.
My boyfriend and I have been renting a house since November, which currently has a warranty on the AC unit and the company that it deals with is Air Doctor. Ever since the first month we have lived here we went to turn the Heat on, and sure enough broken. Air doctor has been here every month since we have lived here to repair it. We have had the free-on recharged, coils fixed, even went to the extent of having to move a rafter because they could not see the leak in the coil? My question is, isn't that illegal for one to cut a rafter? They have been nothing but rude. Just yesterday (June 26th, 2013) they came by twice once to fix the coil and second because it still is not cooling the house. The second time they visited yesterday they let out even more free-on and we asked them what are you doing? ***** proceeded to tell us it was over charged and just let it run and it should turn back up. My boyfriend *** asked him what am I suppose to do wait until Oct for a cold front, because it is not blowing out cold air its hot air and hot air does not cool down a house. ***** kept repeating just let it run. Well we told him its not going to work and were going to have to call again and you will once again be here tomorrow. He then told us "Good luck with that I'm going home." We have called three times today and once again were told to keep letting it run. In my past experiences letting an AC Unit run when it is broken will only make a huge bill. I do not know what to do its been two weeks now with no AC it is hot and I have a two year old and a Four year old whom continuously scream at night because of the heat and it has officially brought down the quality of our lively hood.

Air Doctor has serviced the air conditioner in question through a home warranty. We are paid to fix the unit by the home warranty company and we are also dealing with the Property Manager.

We have responded each time this customer called and quickly performed each of the repairs authorized by the home warranty company in a timely manner.

While I know that it is frustrating to be without air conditioning in FLorida we have done all we can to repair this unit. The last time we were out the unit was cooling.

When we first went to the home we were unable to do a proper repair because the air handler was installed improperly. It had a roof joist crossing in front of the access panel so that we could not access the coil. We charged the unit and used Leak Stop to try to stop the leak. At that time we informed the manager and the home warranty of the access issue.

The home warranty kept sending us back at the cusotmers request and nothing was done about the access issue for weeks. Finally (although we recommended against it) the property manager hired a person who cut out the joist.

We then returned found the leak and replaced the evaporator coil under a work order with the home warranty company. When had trouble getting the charge right. Later we discovered that this was due to a dirty condensor coil (maintenance issue). We cleaned the coil at no charge and recharged the system.

At this time the unit is cooling properly. I suggest that any complaints be directed to the home warranty or the property manager.

09/18/2012Problems with Product / Service