West Florida

BBB Accredited Business since 03/19/1978

Acme Air Conditioning Company, Inc.

3 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 2 closed in last 12 months

05/28/2014Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: None of the Above - Credit, Billing or Collection Complaint Issue

Complaint: ACME Air Conditioning are asking me to pay for work they never carried out. Despite several calls they wont correct the issue and wont listen
I had ACME Air Conditioning Inc Co, ******************* come to my property to look at an LG window air conditioning unit in my basement that was not working. I specifically asked if there was a service call or any hidden costs and was told no.
Two "technicians" arrived and I switched on the unit to show them the fault code.
They said - "its a bad board" and "you need to get LG as nothing we can do" and left. They had no tools, did not touch the unit or carry out any other work. They presented no paper work nor anything else.
Ever since I have been trying to explain to their office that no work was ever done. Despite this I keep getting bills for this work and I am now being threatened with collections over work that never took place. My most recent conversation was with the manager - **** ******. He said it was a service call charge and I should have expected to pay for a service call. I explained I specifically asked if their was a cost and was told no and nowhere was it ever presented to me that there was a service call cost. He then said that the ticket said they checked the board and carried out work. I told him i stood there and watched and no work was ever done. Finally he then offered to split the cost.
I feel that i am being fraudulently billed for work and that i am being bullied into paying with threats of a collections agency.
No one is listening to the point - no work was done.

This response was provided verbally to BBB:

The technician did go out and look at the ac unit. They tried to turn it on and it didn't work. The unit was in very poor condition and needed to be replaced but our service technicians are not sales people. They do not quote for replacement units. The customer did call upset about the bill. He spoke with the owner who offered on at least 3 occasions to waive the bill but the customer was still not happy. We have already written this off.

10/02/2013Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Improper collection practices

Complaint: Received bill for $66. Nobody ever said anything about a fee to look at the unit & give an estimate. Nothing repaired or signed. Bogus billing!
Called dealer to ask why billed. "******** told me that she informed me personally of the fee and she personally sent the bill. She then hung up the phone on me. Conversation less than 30 seconds. I have no idea who she is but I have never talked to her before. If they were going to charge me ***'t you think they would have asked when they were at my house? No repair was made, just an estimate for a new unit. Since I did not buy the replacement unit from them, now they are trying to stick me with a $66 fee.

This response was provided verbally to BBB:

We contacted our customer and resolved the situation.

11/20/2012Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Improper or inferior repair

Complaint: My ac unit stopped working in August. Acme air came came out twice, billing me for temp. fixes. I had to contact another company for a lasting repair
My ac unit stopped working August 17, 2012. An Acme Air technician came out and fixed some wiring, stating that he thought that should fix the problem. On September 10th, the unit stopped working again - same problem. Acme Air came out and again replaced some wires. On September 14th, the unit died again. At this point we figured out Acme Air was able to accurately diagnosis the problem and was probably not a good choice in repair companies. We were forced to contact another ac repair company that subsequently replaced the unit. At that time, the technician from the second company informed us the wire repair was only a temporary fix and our unit was not in a repairable shape. When business owner was contacted he stated that his technician had no way of knowing whether the fix would be temporary or not. I'm not sure why he would employ ac technicians that are not able to diagnosis ac problems. I wish they would have been more honest about their lack of diagnostic skills to begin with. I try to use only competent contractors.

This response was taken verbally by BBB:

The customer called us out on August 20th because another company told her the condenser was shot. We checked the unit and put a hard start kit on the compressor and repaired some wires. The unit started running and cooling. The customer called back September 10th saying it was doing the same thing. We went back out and repaired a burnt wire to the compressor. The customer called us again recently and we couldn't get out right away so she called another company. That company told her the repair was bad and that she needed to replace the whole system. She is complaining that we sent her a bill from the September 10th visit and the unit ended up having to be replaced. We told her we would reduce the bill to $50 because we did send a technician out. She doesn't think she should have to pay anything but we did provide a service and tried to get the unit running for her.

The company has misquoted the whole incident. During both site visits, we were told by the technician that he thought the repairs would last. At no point did did any representative from Acme Air suggest we should replace the condenser rather than making the repair they performed. Had we been aware these measures were temporary we would not have authorized the repairs. In addition, at no point did I say I wanted a temporary repair "until I could get the money to replace the whole unit." My husband and I are financially stable, which is probably pretty obvious given the quality of our house. Given that comment, I can only assume the company has us confused with someone else. However, I do remember specifically stating that I wanted my unit fixed - permanently- because I never wanted to go through another hot weekend following a break down of the system. I remain firm in my request for a total refund from Acme Air due to their inability to diagnosis and fix my ac problem, which is what they were hired to do. According to my calculations,subtracting the $16 adjustment, this would bring the total refund amount to $227. Please respond, thanks.

This response was taken verbally by BBB:

The customer has misquoted the whole incident. When we went the first time to fix her unit we informed her at that time that we could not guarantee the unit would last. She had another ac company out before us that said her condenser was shot. She still wanted us to go ahead and try to fix it, which we did on August 20th. On September 10th she called back, the wires had burnt to the compressor. We went back out and repaired the wiring and still told her again that this could not be guaranteed and ****** asked if she wanted to put the money in it. We only charged her $66 on that repair. When she called back to complain the owner reduced the bill to $50. She did not complain about the first repair invoice at that time. Then without our knowledge she called another ac company and paid them to replace her unit. She called us expecting us to refund all of her money from the first and second visit repairs. We said no because she was aware of the situation. We gave her an opportunity to let us replace the system but she did not want it. We tried to make a temporary repair at her request until she could get enough money to replace the whole unit. We are sorry that the customer is unhappy and that the unit did not last as she hoped it would. As goodwill we would be happy to refund $50 from the last repair if that will satisfy her concerns with our company.

Complaint Resolution: BBB determined that despite the company's reasonable effort to address complaint issues, the consumer remained dissatisfied.