A minimum of three evenly spaced meetings per year of the full governing body with a majority in attendance, with face-to-face participation. A conference call of the full board can substitute for one of the three meetings of the governing body. For all meetings, alternative modes of participation are acceptable for those with physical disabilities.
Information Needed from Charity to Determine Compliance:
The charity provides dates and attendance information for governing body meetings held in the past fiscal year.
The Alliance looks for charity confirmation that the following criteria have been met:
- Frequency of governing body meetings.
The following implementation will be used by the Alliance:
- For fiscal years beginning before March 3, 2003, the charity should have the following frequency of governing body meetings: at a minimum, three meetings during the fiscal year, two of which can be executive committee meetings. This follows the previous standard used by the Philanthropic Advisory Service of the CBBBs’ Foundation.
- For fiscal years that begin between the dates of March 3, 2003 and March 2, 2004, the charity should have the following frequency of board of directors meetings: at a minimum, two board meetings during the fiscal year (one of which can be held by a conference call).
- For fiscal years that begin March 3, 2004 and thereafter, the charity should have the following frequency of board of directors meetings: at a minimum, three board meetings during the fiscal year (one of which can be held by a conference call). No executive committee (or interim governing body) meetings will be considered in determining whether the charity has a minimum of three board of directors meetings.
- Attendance at governing body meetings.
A majority of the governing body members (at least 50%, on average) should be in attendance to meet this standard.
- Proxy attendance.
Proxy attendance is not counted for purposes of determining if the charity meets the above attendance requirement.