If yes, click here to login.
BBB Accredited Business sinceAdditional Locations
BBB Business Reviews may not be reproduced for sales or promotional purposes.
Request a Quote
A BBB Accredited Business since
BBB has determined that American Insurance & Investment Corp meets BBB accreditation standards, which include a commitment to make a good faith effort to resolve any consumer complaints. BBB Accredited Businesses pay a fee for accreditation review/monitoring and for support of BBB services to the public.
BBB accreditation does not mean that the business' products or services have been evaluated or endorsed by BBB, or that BBB has made a determination as to the business' product quality or competency in performing services.
Reason for Rating
BBB rating is based on 13 factors. Get the details about the factors considered.
Factors that raised the rating for American Insurance & Investment Corp include:
- Length of time business has been operating
- Complaint volume filed with BBB for business of this size
- Response to 1 complaint(s) filed against business
- Resolution of complaint(s) filed against business
Customer Complaints Summary Read complaint details
|Complaint Type||Total Closed Complaints|
|Problems with Product/Service||1|
|Total Closed Complaints||1|
Customer Reviews Summary Read customer reviews
|Customer Experience||Total Customer Reviews|
|Total Customer Reviews||0|
Licensing, Bonding or Registration
This business is in an industry that may require professional licensing, bonding or registration. BBB encourages you to check with the appropriate agency to be certain any requirements are currently being met.
These agencies may include:
State Office Building Rm # 3110, Salt Lake City UT 84114
Phone Number: (801) 538-3800
Type of Entity
Business ManagementMr. Dave Bradshaw, President Ms. Clenneth Berry, Company Contact
Alternate Business NamesAmerican Insurance and Investment
448 S 400 E
Salt Lake City, UT 84111 (801) 364-3434 (800) 736-3436 Directions
PO Box 58489
Salt Lake City, UT 84158
What is a BBB Business Review?
We offer free reviews on businesses that include background, licensing, consumer experience and other information such as governmental actions that is known to BBB. These reviews are provided for businesses that are BBB accredited and also for businesses that are not BBB accredited.
About BBB Business Review Content & Services:
Some Better Business Bureaus offer additional content & services in BBB Business Reviews.
The additional content & services are typically regional in nature or, in some cases, a new product or service that is being tested prior to a more general release.
Not all enhanced content & services are available at all Better Business Bureaus.
Types of Complaints Handled by BBB
BBB handles the following types of complaints between businesses and their customers so long as they are not, or have not been, litigated:
- Advertising or Sales
- Billing or Collection
- Problems with Products or Services
- Guarantee or Warranty
We do not handle workplace disputes, discrimination claims or claims about the quality of health or legal services.
BBB Complaint Process
Your complaint will be forwarded to the business within two business days. The business will be asked to respond within 14 days, and if a response is not received, a second request will be made. You will be notified of the business's response when we receive it (or notified that we received no response). Complaints are usually closed within 30 business days.
What is BBB Advertising Review?
BBB promotes truth in advertising by contacting advertisers whose claims conflict with the BBB Code of Advertising. These claims come to our attention from our internal review of advertising, consumer complaints and competitor challenges. BBB asks advertisers to prove their claims, change ads to make offers more clear to consumers, and remove misleading or deceptive statements.
What government actions does BBB report on?
BBB reports on known government actions that are relevant to the business's marketplace dealings with the public.
BBB Reporting Policy
As a matter of policy, BBB does not endorse any product, service or business.
BBB Business Reviews are provided solely to assist you in exercising your own best judgment. Information in this BBB Business Review is believed reliable but not guaranteed as to accuracy.
BBB Business Reviews generally cover a three-year reporting period. BBB Business Reviews are subject to change at any time.
Additional Phone Numbers
- (800) 736-3436(Phone)
Additional Email Addresses
Complaint Trends - Last 3 Years
Customer Review Trends
BBB Customer Review Rating plus BBB Rating Overview
BBB Customer Reviews Rating represents the customers opinions of the business. The Customer Review Rating is based on the number of positive, neutral and negative customer reviews posted that are calculated to produce a score.
|Customer Review Experience||Value|
|Positive Review||5 points per review|
|Neutral Review||3 points per review|
|Negative Review||1 point per review|
BBB letter grades represent the BBB's opinion of the business. The BBB grade is based on BBB file information about the business. In some cases, a business' grade may be lowered if the BBB does not have sufficient information about the business despite BBB requests for that information from the business.
BBB Letter Grade Scale
Star Rating scale
BBB Customer Review Rating plus BBB Rating is not a guarantee of a business' reliability or performance, and BBB recommends that consumers consider a business' BBB Rating and Customer Review Rating in addition to all other available information about the business. If the BBB Rating is NR then only Customer Reviews are used for the Star Rating.
Problems with Product/Service
Read Complaint Details
Complaint: The business and Jim K***** told us that an insurance policy would be the same as our prior policy, even though it was significantly cheaper. They charged our credit card, and then sent us the specific details of the policy. When we received the policy and read it, we immediately cancelled the policy because it did not provide the same level of coverage. They then said they would refund our credit card in a few days. It took over 6 weeks and several emails to get a check, but when the check arrived, it was 37% less than what we paid (even though we cancelled the same day we received the info on the policy). We cancelled the policy on August 4th and just received a partial check on September 28th. They claim the unrefunded portion is for earned premium even though they never mentioned this to us prior to charging our credit card, and the policy was cancelled immediately. They took $247.96 from us for representing a policy as better than it was and then cancelling when we found out the truth about the policy being inferior to the policy we were looking to replace. I have tried to resolve through several emails and a phone call, but Jim K***** has refused to do the right thing.
Desired Settlement: A full refund ASAP. They have continued to push payment and then only sent a partial refund. We cancelled the policy on August 4th
We also feel ******'s frustration, but have acted accordingly in all matters.
1. The first accusation of representation of the new policy being the same as his old policy is incorrect. The quote provided by our agent Jim K***** was in response to an Allstate agent who requested a quote. Allstate does not write earthquake. We provided a NCIP (national catastrophic insurance company) quote to the all state agent to forward to ******. We never saw his previous policy nor gave any indication of coverage comparison. We simply forwarded the quote to the all state agent we do not know if he gave any stipulations. At this time Jim has not spoken to ******. Stand alone earthquake polices through the federally backed NCIP program is very standard. It is true that some insurance companies will add earthquake with lower deductibles if they have the underlying coverage. We were not asked to provide any other coverage
2. ****** requested we bind coverage through the NCIP program. Which we did. This policy was bound on August 4th has he mentioned. On August 7th we received a request to cancel the NCIP policy. Which we notified NCIP to do. NCIP told us they would refund the credit card. We informed ****** of the same.
3. Insured sent us an email saying they had not had their credit card refunded. We contacted NCIP, a different person notified us that NCIP does not refund credit cards for New Business and they would be sending a refund check to American Insurance. After another inquiry by ****** we contacted NCIP again they had a "glitch" in their refund, at this time we decided to forward our own agency check to the insured.
4. Check 37% less. NCIP and other types of insurance require a minimum of 25% earned premium and a policy fee upon binding. This is a general practice of these types of coverage's to avoid quick writing and canceling around catastrophe's. The quote forwarded to the Allstate agent lists this requirement at the bottom of the quote.
5. ****** informed us that he contacted NCIP directly and convinced them to refund the whole premium instead of just the minimum earned.
We were only acting as the agent, and at no time did we have any of ******'s money in our possession, and we understood his frustration in not getting his refund timely. We also tried to get NCIP to refund the full amount and they denied that to us. We are glad ****** was able to convince them of that.