Columbus, GA - June 6, 2011 -A local realtor contacted the owner of an area construction company regarding two properties owned by him on behalf of a client who had seen the following classified ad:
"Stop Renting, AVAILABLE NOW 2-4 Bedroom homes. Take Over Payments. No Money Down, No Credit Check. Call Now."
The properties had been fraudulently listed on a Distressed/Foreclosure list sold to the client for $199.00. The properties should not have appeared on any such list since they had been paid for a number of years ago and have no mortgages associated with them.
The BBB is advising area renters that may have been fooled by this Scam to immediately contact their bank/credit card company to dispute the charges and to also put fraud alerts on those accounts.
OTHER TIPS TO CONSIDER:
- Do not be swayed by "too good to be true" Advertising Claims!
- Deal locally with people that you can meet in person
- Work with a trusted real estate professional
- Distressed Property lists are available locally and are free
- Never give out Social Security numbers, Personal Financial information or send money to people that you do not know
- Check with the BBB for Trustworthy Real Estate Companies
For additional information contact