Educational Consumer Tips
Better Business Bureau
1. Use a Secure Browser - This is the software you use to navigate the internet. Your browser should have security locks that help to secure your transactions.
2. Shop with companies you know -If you are ot familiar with a merchant ask for a catalog or brochure to get a better idea of the merchandise and services offered. Determine the company's refund and return policies before you place your order. These should be posted on the company's website.
3. Keep your passport private and do not use birth date, social security number or telephone number or even a portion of these numbers.
4. Pay by credit or charge card - If you pay by credit card your transaction is protected by the Fair Credit Billing Act. Under this law, you have the right to dispute charges under certain circumstances and temporarily withhold payment while the creditor is investigating them.
5. Keep a record - Be sure to print a copy of you purchase order and confirmation number for your records. Also you shouldknow that the Mail and Telephone Order Merchandise Rule covers online orders. This means that unless the company states otherwise, your merchandise must be delivered within 30 days and if there are delays the companymust notify you.