BBB has resources to provide dispute resolution services, information and education to consumers, including members of the military, older adults and Latin American communities.
Headquartered in Greenville, Better Business Bureau of the Upstate serves 10 counties in South Carolina, including: Abbeville, Anderson, Cherokee, Greenville, Greenwood, Laurens, Oconee, Pickens, Spartanburg and Union. By providing education and information through community programs and services, BBB helps prevent consumer fraud and financial exploitation. Our mission focuses on creating an ethical marketplace where buyers and sellers trust each other, and we work to educate and protect you from becoming a victim of scams, frauds and financial exploitation.
While BBB provides consumer education to the community at large, we have specific programs and services for consumers who are more vulnerable to being victimized by scammers including older adults, members of the military and Latin American communities.
Consumer Programs and Services
BBB serves the community as an information-gathering tool and a valuable community resource.
- Dispute resolution services: When a dispute arises, consumers can file a complaint with the BBB against a business. Then, BBB will work with the consumer and the business to resolve the complaint.
- Consumer complaints: BBB helps thousands of consumers resolve complaints annually. You can file a complaint at www.bbb.org.
- Business reviews: BBB has business reviews on millions of companies that consumers can access as they research companies that they are considering hiring.
- Consumer news: BBB posts news releases about the latest scams and bad businesses in the News Center.
- Consumer tips: BBB has consumer tips on online shopping, identity theft protection, auto repairs, credit repair, mortgage modificiation, credit monitoring, charitable giving and many more subjects.
- Scam Source: BBB has the latest information on emerging and perennial scams to keep you from becoming a victim. Learn more about phishing scams, identity theft, and credit and debt related scams.
- Data security: BBB offers free shredding to individuals and small businesses at two annual, "Secure Your ID" day events, held in April and October each year.
- Records retention: BBB has a comprehensive guide that can help you determine what types of documents you need to keep and what you can shred.
- Data breaches: BBB has steps that you can take to protect your family from identity theft in the wake of many high-profile data breaches. BBB reviews online businesses and has a list of safe, secure and approved places to visit online.
- AUTO LINE: BBB has a special program designed to help resolve auto-related disputes.
- Military Line: BBB has programs and services for veterans and active duty military members and their families to help resolve consumer issues.
- South Carolina Consumer Organizations: Visit this page for a list of resources, including but not limited to, SC Consumer Affairs and SC Attorney General information.
- National Consumer Organizations: Visit this page for a list of resources, including but not limited to, FTC, FCC and National DO NOT CALL Regstry information.