Eastern Oklahoma

Sports World Inc

3 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 1 closed in last 12 months

02/17/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: None of the Above - Refund or Exchange Complaint Issue

Complaint: I have an item on lay away at sports world and I changed my mind on what product to buy. They will not let me use my money on a different purchase.
I had recently placed a firearm on layaway at Sports World which I placed $100 on the item to have it held on layaway, today I went in to the business because I had changed my mind, and wished to use the money I had placed on this item to purchase some ammunition for another firearm I currently own. When I placed the two boxes of ammunition on the counter and explained to the older gentleman what I intended to do he said " you made an agreement and we placed that firearm back for you " I was not allowed by him to use my money for anything else in the store then he quickly went to help another customer and left me standing there. I was quite shocked by this response because I didn't expect such a well known company to basically hold my money as ransom. I had every intent to use the money I had given them already to buy something in house thinking it would be a " Store Credit " like most businesses, which I was completely satisfied doing at the time. Now I simply want my money back. I feel this was the absolute worst customer service and experience I have ever been a part of. If this has happened to one I assume it has happened to many others. I want a refund and I will never shop in that establishment again.

Dear Ms. ******

Sports World, Inc. offers a 30-day Lay-away plan for those customers wishing to make a purchase. Mr. ******* placed a firearm in our 30-day lay-away on January 4th with an agreement he signed to pay the balance due by February 4th, 2014.

On February 3rd Mr. ******* placed two boxes of ammunition on the counter and stated that he would purchase the ammunition using his layaway down payment. He was told that we had an agreement with him to hold merchandise for 30-days, without the opportunity to sell or offer to another customer, at his request.

Mr. ******* signed an agreement that he understood our obligation to him and his financial obligation to finalize the purchase.

If for some reason the customer is unable to make the purchase due to financial or legal reasons we always offer a store credit and understand their situation. In Mr. ******* case he "just changed his mind" after 30 days.

We did not intend to cause hard feelings and, of course, want to keep Mr. ******* as a customer. We were hoping he would reconsider his purchase. We have returned the firearm to stock. As for his down payment we will issue Mr. ******* a store credit in the amount of $100.00.

Mr. ******* can use this credit at anytime.

Sports World, Inc.