BBB Accredited Business since 02/28/2008

York Plumbing Inc

07/22/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Service provide was not provided in the agreed way. Asked for an inspection to ensure service would meet all required codes. Never received.
York plumbing agreed to remodel bathroom and create utility closet. The following are the issues that occurred.
Told it would take 3 - 4 weeks, took over 60 days.
The bathroom wall that was added to separate the bathroom from new utility closet is cracking. Grout is coming out of doorway. Concerned that water is coming from the above mentioned wall crack for the grout is turning a dark color and falling apart.
Utility room was measured out to fit a washer and dryer by ***** York and another employee. The above mentioned wall that separates the utility room and the bathroom was placed incorrectly. It was measured out at 37 inches, however it currently is not 37 inches, which does not allow for the washer to fit properly. The hoses on the back of the washer come out straight and are being pushed into a tight 90 degree angle. The door to the utility closet is scraping the front of the washer. The dryer like the washer did not have enough room, therefore they cut out approximately a 2 x 3 area exposing the wall studs, dryer duct and partially removing a wall stud, turning the duct at a 90% angle inside the wall to allow ample room for the dryer duct hose be attached.
We asked to move the wall back but was told that they had a solution that would work. We took there word for this. After the job was completed, we had concerns and issues regarding the bathroom cracking and the utility closing passing an inspection. To our knowledge ***** York never came by to look at the completed. We received a bill from York Plumbing and I detailed out what I was paying and I wanted an inspection done before I paid the bill in full. This went on for around 4 months. I would email ***** York requesting an inspection. I would get a response from ***** York stating he would come over and look at my concerns, I repeatedly told him that would be fine as long as he brought the inspector. As of today I still have not had an inspection. I consulted with someone in construction and they told me that I could call the City of Tulsa and arrange for the inspector to come out. I did make that phone call and was told no building permit was obtained, therefore no inspection could be done unless they wanted to start over. Sherry York contacted my husband on Feb 25 left message stating they would filing a lien if payment was not received in full. I contacted her on the 26th and she stated it was already filed. I asked why ***** did not get a building permit. She stated she would talk with him and get back with me. I never heard back from her so I called and left a message for her to contact me. I again did not hear back so I contacted her again and she stated I would need to talk with ***** about this. I did speak with him and he stated that my husband told him not to get a building permit, I did not think this was true for my husband was concerned all along with the work that had been done. I however contacted my husband to verify if this was true, my husband was floored by this and stated he never had a conversation about a building permit. Why would a consumer even have a say so on a company obtaining a building permit? I called ***** York back and he stated that I would need to get my own inspection and he would not pay for this. Could understand why I would want an inspection. I explained repeatedly that I wanted to make sure that everything would pass code for when we go to sell the home we would not have any issues. I told him that I wanted the lien removed and he said not until the bill was paid in full. I felt we were not making progress to resolve this issue, so I told him to do what he needed to do, and I would do what I needed to do.

I want for Bobby York to pay for an inspection, using an inspector of my choice. If the inspector identifies any issues I want Bobby York to correct and resolve all issues at no cost to us.
I also want the balance due to be reduced by a minimum of 50% for the bungled job and stress that they have caused.

I agreed to have all the subcontractors work through me on this job as a favor to a realitive of *************. This is something I usually don't do and will not in the future. First of all not obtaining permits for this remodel was at the request of ************ in mine and 2 other contractors presence. He said he would be present during the work and he actully worked at one time for the carpenter contractor I was using. When the problem with the wall location came up the ********* met with the carpenter contractor and worked everything out and they continued with the build out.As far as the inspection I have emailed and called ************* several times telling her that I would pay for an inspection and she could get an inspector of her choice. I have no problem with that because I know everything was done per code.She also said something that the tile grout was flaking off, I also told her we had a 1 year warranty on all material and labor on the job. The tile or the drywall contractor would be more than happy to look at any concerns, but it is hard to warranty work that you have not been paid for. I tried several times at the end of the job to communicate with the ********* with no answers. I have kept all my email copys if anyone would like to see. The ********* also charged over a $1,000.00 on my account for plumbing fixtures without my permission. I paid the invoice to prevent**************** from filing a lien on there property, because I thought I was going to get paid. This is the first lien I have ever had to file in 10 years of business, I have never not been paid for services, but I could never get a responce from the *********. I sent them emails and left messages 2 weeks before the lien was filed, with no responce. I felt I had no other recource. Also at no time until this complaint was there ever anything said about not wanting to pay a reduced amount. If all she wants is to have it inspected as she says, I will pay for it so we can settle this. I hate to have an unhappy customer and will do what I can to resolve this.

I had an inspection company come out on Monday, however they will have to call me on Wednesday and set another date and time for they want to come back and complete a mold test and check for water damage. Therefore I am asking for an extension.
I am unable to get a "true'inspection for according to the city of Tulsa inspection office when a building permit is obtained they come out in stages to inspect. So unless I have the walls, floors and tile pulled up I cant get that. What is Mr. Yorks thoughts on doing this?
I believe from what I read is that Mr. York as a licensed plumber has rules and regulations that he is to follow, one of the is always obtaining a building permit. I am curious as to why he would not follow those rules?

I said I would pay for an inspection, because I can assure you everything was done per code. The reson we did not get city permits were at the request of the owner. It was going to cost an extra $400 to $500.00 for the permits. This was a small remodel and we tied into the existing plumbing and relocated the shower drain. All the plumbing work was done above the slab. Since I have not heard back from her I assume her inspections went well. I am ready to get this behind us. Again anything I can do on my end to resolve I am ready to do. Look forward to getting this issue resolved.

Plumbers