BBB Accredited Business since 03/19/2010

Complete Lawn Care

06/07/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I was told this would be a 2hr job with 3 men, and I could budget about 300.00. I was charged 626.05 for over 4 hrs.
Date of service was 3/12/13 Inv# 4518, Mr.********* was salesman. I ask had the property been view I was told no but it was their basic Spring cleaning. I was not told when it would be done they just showed up saying they were there to do the service and the young man asked if I wanted something special I said no just cut the grass and trim it. I thought they arrived around 12:30 but the invoice says 11:30 I left home about 2:45 and 3 men were standing at the gate talking. I thought they were finished but by the invoice they wasn't. I was not informed that there were additional cost until I looked at the invoice on line the next day I called and told the salesman that it was outrageous and I had told him I was a Senior on a fixed income and that was not in my budget. He wanted to argue about this and I was told to not pay this and report this to you.

A fair price according to what he said initially not his well it was more than I thought he could have came and looked prior to sending his people out or had them call if they knew the projected time alloted.

Client called and wanted a complete property clean up. Over the phone she was quoted our hourly crew charge which is $45.00 per man hour or $135.00 per hour for three guys. She advised everything she wanted and mentioned she had lots of leaves and dead limbs along with the normal need for scalping and first mowing of year. I advised her "average spring clean up" would takes about two hours though every property is different and is based on the amount of time it takes.
After the phone call, she was sent an email that explained our pricing in detail. We have included the estimate with this document. She accepted estimate on line and she was scheduled for service. On the day of service, she was home and noticed our crews already working. My crews contacted me about two hours into the job and advised she had a larger than normal yard and lots of limbs and debris that needed to be hauled off. The crew leader advised it would take about two more hours to complete.
I then contacted her via phone and advised what was going on and she said she wanted to continue. After the crew finished the property, I contacted her again in the evening to get feedback from our work. She said everything looked great except for a few limbs that were missed in front yard. She was told we would be out first thing in morning and remove these at no additional charge. I told her of the total and she said that was more than she expected but it looked good. She, at that time requested an estimate for weekly mowing and weed control applications. I went out there the next morning and measured the yard, looked at our work and sent her another estimate as she requested. I followed up with a phone call and she said she received our invoice and wanted to get it paid before she accepted our additional estimate for more service. After this contact we didn't hear from her for over three weeks.
When we called, the first time, to find out why payment wasn't received, she advised that she did not have the funds but would make a payment soon when she received her check. After a few more phone contacts she then started to complain about the bill and stopped answering our calls and emails. I explained to her that she could work out payment arrangements if she was having financial difficulty.
After several phone calls she agreed to pay half of the bill with her next check, but the client never did make a payment and then when we finally got a hold of her she said she was advised to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Somehow thinking this would get her out of her responsibility to pay.
At this time this account has been turned over to a collection company which will pursue this matter and this nonpayment will be reflected on her credit report.
This is not a legitimate complaint. We have photos of our work and how much debris needed to be hauled off. She was contacted before, during, and after our work to keep informed of our progress. She had the knowledge and the opportunity to stop work at anytime if she only wanted to spend a certain amount. The client accepted our estimate which fully explained all charges and billing policy. She was even given the option of working out payment arrangements.

04/01/2013Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

Complete Lawn Care billed for unauthorized charges for work performed on my home. Completed unauthorized work, while not completing work I asked for.
Complete Lawn Care did two mole treatments within one week of each other, when they are recommended at 3 times per year. I simply hired them to till up my garden area and that was never done. Every time I had asked them when it was going to be done they told me they had to do more treatments of roundup before they can do this. After them telling me they would have to do their 3rd application of roundup in order to complete this task I terminated the job and told them not to come back on to my property. I also asked them to trim the bushes in my backyard facing against my house and the road and that was not done, also to haul off the black plastic trim around my garden area, as well as the rock stones on the side of my house and that was not done, yet I was billed for it. I was billed multiple times for garden maintenance when there was NO garden to maintenance. I also NEVER received any communication from Complete Lawn Care. I went almost 3 months without any communication or bill/statement from them. I noticed that they had stopped coming, so I had to call the company I hired to ask why they stopped coming, only in turn to find out that I had an outstanding bill of $1000.00.

I would like Complete Lawn Care to drop this outstanding balance of $580.00 on my account for poor practices, poor communication, poor billing and unauthorized charges. Complete Lawn Care takes part of bad faith negotiations,unfair pricing and low standards, and I would not recommend them anyone.

Complete Lawn care denies the claims of this customer saying that we "Charged for Unauthorized Work," and the we "Completed Unauthorized Work." All the work that was performed was discussed before any work began. Complete Lawn Care has a policy that any and all work will have an estimated sent via email to the customer and customer must acknowledge receipt of this estimate. All the work was explained in detail and cost of said work was included in the estimate that was accepted by the customer.
There are some services that are provide by Complete Lawn care that are not "Set Prices." This is because it is very difficult to judge the amount of time some projects will take compared to other. For this reason, Complete Lawn Care bills these services at a set "Per Man Hour" price. The actual charge for services in question were actually less than was quoted.

Complete Lawn care does agree that there was some miscommunication from both parties. On of the reasons for the miscommunication was the contact information that was given at the time the services were authorized changed and we were not notified. Complete Lawn Care invoices customers via email. This customer used one email at the beginning and the changed to a different email while not notifying Complete Lawn Care. Complete Lawn Care should have called the customer sooner when the first invoice was not paid on time.

As for the mole treatments, Complete Lawn Care does recognize that there was a mistake in scheduling this service. As per the instructions from chemical manufacturer and per our website, the application steps are as follows:
First Application
Second Application within 14 days of First Application
Third Application after 30 days of Second Application
Fourth Application 45 days after Third Application.
There was a mistake and the second application should not have been applied on the dates that they were. Complete Lawn Care REMOVED THIS CHARGE AND THE CUSTOMER WAS NOT BILLED FOR THE SECOND APPLICATION.

With regard to the flower beds:
The flower bed in questions was in horrible shape. It was overgrown with Bermuda and crabgrass. Complete Lawn Care advised customer that the process for preparing this bed for new shrubs and plants was going to take some time. The first day we were there, we removed all dead/dying shrubs, pulled the majority of the overgrown trees, and sprayed an application of roundup to kill the grasses. Customer was advised that the BEST way was to keep these grasses from coming back was to apply roundup over the course of 3 or 4 weeks. This is done to ensure that all the grass dies and will not come back. This is common practice when a new flower bed is installed over an area that was formerly part of the lawn (which was the case with this customer.) In the customer's estimate that she agreed to, the cost of the application was included in the estimate.

The bushes that "Were never trimmed" according to the customer, were actually trimmed when we performed the Spring Clean Up. The bushes were originally about 7 or 8 feet tall. We took almost 1.5 feet off the top. Complete Lawn Care was not advised that this was "Not shirt Enough" according to the customer. This information was not relayed to Complete Lawn Care until a few weeks after the initial service. When we were advised of this, the customer was advised that we would trim the bushes shorter the next time we come out, but unfortunately we were not given the chance.

The rocks and black plastic edging was to be hauled off during the next visit when the bushes were to be trimmed shorter, but we were not given the chance.

After the communication problems were solved, Complete Lawn Care did everything we could to try and satisfy this customer. The customer stated on several occasions that she was having "Financial difficulties" and she would pay the said amount, less the second mole application, as soon as she could. The customer was set up on a payment plan, which was followed for 2 or 3 weeks. Then the customer just stopped paying her bill and we were forced to send her to collections. It was not after her being sent to collections that she made a complaint with the BBB. We have all text message communication saying she would pay the bill. At this point it is collections.

Thanks
***************

Complete Lawn Care

Lawn Maintenance, Lawn & Garden Sprinkler Systems, Fertilizers, Weed Control Service, Tree Service