BBB Accredited Business since 11/14/2005

Two Men And A Truck

03/28/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Two Men and a Truck moved my personal belongings into a storage unit and their unprofessional movers destroyed all most every piece of my furniture.
I am a member in the military and I was set to deploy in Jan 14. I hired Two Men and a Truck to move my personal belongings on 26 Dec 13 and their movers destroyed all of my furniture. During the move, their mover was hitting on me the whole time and I felt very uncomfortable. They were very careless with my items and had even dropped a dolly full of items down my stairs. The movers were lazy and instead of picking up my nice leather sectional couch, they decided to balance these items on a dolly as well. I told them repeatedly I didn't like how they were handling my items and they stated that they were wrapped and it would be fine. In mid Jan, my deployment was canceled and I hired a different moving company to move out my belongings on 16 Jan 15 because of the sexual harassment I had received from their employee through Facebook and on the day of the move. When the new moving company arrived at the storage unit, every piece of furniture pulled out of the unit was thoroughly inspected and had catastrophic damage. At this point, the new moving company said I needed to call Two Men and a Truck because they had never witnessed anything like this. I called them and the individual on the phone said this sounds like an insurance claim and they would be at my residence the following day. After arriving home, I again thoroughly inspected all items and marked the damage with blue tape. The following day 17 Jan 14, ****** *******, the general manager and another individual showed up to take pictures. He kept reassuring me that he wanted to do right thing and so on and so forth. He said he would talk to his movers and give me a call about his decision. On Monday 20 Jan 14, ****** ******* called and said he was going to deny my claim because its a he said she said game and he couldn't decide if his movers had done this damage. I told him that this was unfair and that I had statements from the other movers that the damage was there upon removal but he didn't care. The claim stopped at ****** ******* and was never submitted to their Commercial Carrier for Liability. I told him I would be taking this issue further because I had been ill-handled. In addition, I provided ****** ******* information about his employee sexually harassing me but he tried to turn it around on me as if I was the one to blame. All my furniture has been purchased in the last two years and was brand new, I cannot believe how my items were destroyed and that I am left with all the damage due to this companies carelessness. As I military member, I have moved all over the world and have never experienced any items during a move destroyed as these individuals have done so. I am appalled by the companies' actions and their slogan "Movers Who Care" should surely be reassessed as this is an untrue statement.

I am requesting that my items be fully replaced or repaired. In addition, that I am refunded the money for the cost of the move since the service provide was unsatisfactory and the actions of their employee was inappropriate on every level.

On December 26th, 2013 TWO MEN AND A TRUCK moved a customer from her residence to Public Storage in Tucson. We did not have reports of damages or concerns until January 16th, 2014 when our customer contacted the office reporting damages during her move from December 26th, 2013. Our signed paperwork clearly states, damages caused while loading or unloading your storage unit or truck: TWO MEN AND A TRUCK is only responsible for items in our immediate care. Also, there was a pre-move confirmation letter sent out to the customer on December 12th, 2013 that clearly states damages are to be reported within 96 hours of the original move date. However, in the spirit of customer service, our operations manager agreed to schedule a damage inspection for January 17th 2014 to evaluate the report.

At 3:00 pm on January 17, the Operations Manager and I (General Manager) arrived at the customer's new residence. The customer showed us in and stated that she marked the damages in blue tape after another moving company completed her move on January 16th, 2014. We took pictures and discussed the details of the move with her.
The customer explained that she used another moving company to move her items out of Public Storage to her new residence the previous day. When asked why she did not contact TWO MEN AND A TRUCK on December 26th during or after the move to file a damage claim, she explained that she did not want to get the movers into trouble.

We asked the customer if the other moving company took pictures of the damages at Public Storage and asked if they obtain a release of liability for the damages at the storage unit. The customer explained that neither was obtained. We asked the customer if she had taken pictures of the damages at the storage unit. She had not. We asked why she did not call our office when the damages were discovered. The customer stated she was too upset and wanted the other moving company to move her out of storage as fast as possible. We asked if the other moving company documented the damages. She stated they did not. We asked if the other moving company had her sign any sort of Release of Liability form waiving them from any previous damage found in the storage unit. She stated they did not.

During the damage inspection meeting on January 17, the customer also informed us that one of our movers "hit on her" and it was very uncomfortable for her. She proceeded to show us 3 screen shots of her Facebook messaging between her and our employee. We asked why she did not contact our office immediately. She stated she did not want to get the employee in trouble. I informed her that this was inappropriate behavior between her and our employee, apologized for the lack of professionalism displayed by this individual, and informed her that his actions would be addressed in accordance to our company core values. I did state I felt that the messaging between the customer and our mover was mutual because it appeared she was receptive to our mover's messages by responding in a manner that encouraged the mover's behavior. At no time did the customer state her concern that this social media interaction was sexual harassment. According to the date and time of the Facebook interaction, our mover and customer were exchanging messages shortly after the move. In order for our mover to have any contact with the customer on Facebook, the customer had to make the conscious choice to accept his friend request. She also chose to respond to our movers messages in a flirtatious manner.

I also want to note that the customer had plenty of opportunity to notify us of her displeasure. Every customer receives a reply card 3 days after their move, via email. She did not respond to the email until January 16th 2014. She commented on the reply card stating that we damaged her items, but there was no mention about our mover's supposed inappropriate behavior. Next, the customer stated in the comment section acknowledging that no claim can be made because it was over the 96 hour mark. In the top half of the comment card the customer was asked some questions in order to rate our services. Each question on the comment card has a rating scale from Poor to Excellent and you have to check a box accordingly to rate our services. When asked on the reply card about the mover's attitude, the customer checked GOOD. When asked about our office staff clearly explaining our services, the customer checked GOOD. When asked if our office staff was courteous and helpful, the customer checked GOOD. Our mover's also stated that the customer took them out to lunch and paid for their food, which would indicate that the customer did not have a problem with our mover's.

Last, according to our movers and the customer, her move lasted 7 hours. In the spirit of customer service, our movers only charged her for 3 hours of labor which was the original estimated amount.

The decision to deny the customer was based on several factors:

* Damages were reported well beyond the 96 hour policy and after the customer used another moving company to move her belongings into her new place of residence.
* The customer did not contact us during or after the December 26 move to express any concerns about the move.
* The customer was present during her move by our company and observed the moving team.
* The customer did not report damages to TWO MEN AND A TRUCK when being moved out of Public Storage by another moving company.
* The customer was informed she needed to provide protective materials for her belongings while in storage. No protective materials were provided, however TWO MEN AND A TRUCK provided her with a few of our professional moving pads at no charge.
* There is no written documentation or photographs, by the other moving company and customer, that support the storage unit was in disarray or that the customers' furniture was damaged as she described.

Thank you.

The statements made in the Two Men and Truck's response are inaccurate, and didn't occur as specified. First and foremost, I NEVER took their employees to lunch, that is a flat out lie. The storage unit was in disarray and jammed packed that I could not see that my items had been damaged at the time that they were moved into the storage unit as they were placed into the unit w/ no organization at all. I told Two Men and a Truck that statements of damage would be provided by the other moving company and at the time of the move, it was documented that these items were damaged by the new movers as they didn't want to be held liable. I never said that a release of reliability wasn't obtained. I did call Two Men & Truck while at the storage unit with the new movers and the person I spoke to on the phone, stated that this sounded like an insurance claim and that they couldn't come out until the following day. They never advised me to stop the move or that they would come out immediately to assess the damages while the new moving company was there with me.

As for the Facebook request, I never responded in a flirtatious manner and was merely being nice as the friend request had been accepted during the first part of the move prior to leaving my residence and before heading to the storage unit. There were additional messages that these managers did not see that I did not respond to after I realized their employee wasn't being just friendly as I presumed and his behavior was forward in a sexual nature, that's why I did not choose to have Two Men & a Truck move me out of the storage unit when my military deployment was canceled.

As for having plenty of time to notify them, I did not! I had no clue of the multitude of damage to my items until they were pulled out one by one from the storage unit. The storage unit was jammed in an unorderly fashion and there was no way for me to even get into it to inspect the items. In addition during the move, I told the Two Men & Truck employees that I didn't feel comfortable how they were handling my items and the guy kept saying, it will be fine because we wrap it. Furthermore, I told the receptionist on the phone that I would need protective items and she assured me that the movers would bring such items and make sure my items were properly secured/wrapped for the move. I told both the general and operations manager that the other moving company will testify to the damages and that statements would be provided to support the damage that had been done by his company and their employees, but he wasn't interested which at this point I stated, do I need to get my lawyer involved. He stated, no, I want to do the right thing here and that wouldn't be necessary. When he called me to tell me that he wasn't going to submit my claim any further, I asked did his movers say my furniture was damaged prior and he said no. He then stated that he couldn't prove whom was responsible, I again brought up the fact the other moving company and their statements, but again he wasn't interested.

I am appalled by the blantant lies and how this company has misconstrued the situation, my actions and theirs.

At Two Men And A Truck we have provided our knowledge and gathered the facts in this matter. The events that took place are unfortunate. Based upon the findings we stand by our previous response. At Two Men And A Truck we always strive to exceed our customers' expectations in value and high standard of satisfaction.

Movers