In Southern Arizona

BBB Accredited Business since 08/01/1997

Excel Movers, Inc.

11/18/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Inappropriate behavior by customer service personnel

Complaint: I have asked Excel Movers for reimbursement of the entire $622.00 and only received $224.00 based on 2 fixed costs for 2 of the items damaged
7/25/13 local move- approximately a mile apart.

Excel Movers, showed up about an hour and a half late, with no call to alert to this delay- I had to call them.......

They charged $622.00 for an incomplete move.

The move was overseen by the owner I believe ( no name or card given to me ) Several things were damaged and after providing them with repair/ replacement receipts they did reimburse me for some vintage bowls I had to replace and the piano damage which I had professionally repaired.

However, they also scratched up newly refinished wood floors, damaged the top of a dresser and tried to hide it with some cover up, damaged a red leather couch- which was smashed in so tightly up against some irregular objects it is permanently indented all across the back, thus will never be able to sit out in a room where the back is visible..........

These things are just not replaceable. I wrote them a letter identifying everything and have found a few more damages since I wrote the letter........Besides the actual damage, they were supposed to move the entire house and at the end- it was late and they admitted they were
"tired" and "had a bad day" and they just couldn't finish the job stating there was no more room in the truck. There were some things not in boxes which I told them I would move later, but they didn't even move the rest or what WAS in boxes. One of the workers and the owner himself was unusually rude..........completely dismissive of my concerns that they take care in this move. I told them in the beginning I was MOST concerned about the piano and the wood floors and they damaged both and essentially dismissed the issues when it was identified at the time! The owner even came by my house afterward and essentially wanted to argue about their performance because he knew there was damage and I was not happy!

I asked that furniture items be shrink wrapped and he refused to do it. I had the material and he still would not do it and said it was " completely unnecessary because everything would be blanketed and protected." Clearly that was not the case.

I felt the least they could do was reimburse me entirely for the move because if I counted as " ruined" the items that are now scarred up but " serviceable" that would be a lot more. I took photos of everything and provided this to the company and I got a check for $224.000 which represents the piano repair for $195.00 ( receipt provided to the company) and a $29.00 set of vintage mixing bowls from E bay........

Considering the attitude and the damage I would think the least they could do would be to reimburse the move and that is the least I expect.

Excel Movers arrived on site on 7/25/2013 during the previously agreed upon period of time between myself, the owner, and the customer. As this was to be the second job of the day for my team, I never specified an exact time, as is precedent in the moving business to allow for emergencies and various other events. Upon arrival, the shipper's home was to be packed and ready to load onto the truck. When this became evident that this was not the case, the shipper stated that she had been "too busy" to prepare her items properly and apologized for the state of the home. The house itself was a mess, with whole rooms not packed in any way, while much of what was packed was packed in non-standard moving cartons, including many boxes with open, unfastened tops. At that time I should have refused to complete the job as it met almost none of the prerequisites the shipper and I had agreed upon prior to arrival. The shipper continued on by saying that she needed to exit the home by the end of that day, thus convincing myself and my team to start the job regardless of the shipper's inability to meet requirements. Upon arrival at the new house, it was clear that the property was not move-in ready. There were between four and five workers moving throughout the home trying to make the property accessible enough for my team and I to complete the job. In hindsight, I should never have tried to complete this job with so few preparations completed. Toward the end of the job, the shipper noticed scratches on the front of her piano. I then agreed to place the piano back onto my truck to have it repaired by a vendor of my choice, but was denied by the shipper as she stated "I will never trust you to move my piano again." After discussing other possibilities for repair, I agreed to allow her to fix the piano at the business of her choosing. Some time after the job was completed, I received an invoice for piano repair and the shipper had added on a bill for a broken bowl that had been placed in an unapproved moving box, which I then agreed to pay for as well. As for the scratches on the floor of the new house and the indents on the couch, though I have not seen these damages, due to the nature of ongoing construction occurring throughout the job, I am not surprised. Standard moving business procedure dictates that we fix damages via vendors of our choice, not vendors selected by the shipper, as I agreed to allow. Furthermore, according to federal law, all items are to be released at sixty cents per pound, which I exceeded in both remedies. After taking care of the damages to the piano and bowl, it appears that the unseeable damages also claimed by the shipper seem to conveniently cover the cost of the entire moving job. Excel Movers has exceeded all moving standards to remedy the known damages.

**** *******