BBB Accredited Business since 06/06/2013

Alex's Landscaping Services

12/10/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Sprinkler system installed was lowest possible quality and done poorly. Ground was not leveled as described.
The total cost of the job was $8,500 for installation of inground sprinkler system and sod as well as prepping the surface (weed removal, adding soil, and leveling). There were also 2 stumps that were removed. We weren't presented with any options for the equipment (control panel or sprinkler head type) prior to installation. We weren't presented with options for sod either but did ask this question. He had planned to use sod for heavy traffic areas like parks. Our backyard isn't a park so I did research on my own to pick something more appropriate. This gave me the impression **** doesn't know very much about sod. Back to the equipment - after installation we did see everything that was used can be purchased at Lowes for a few hundred dollars. The sprinkler heads cost $2 each. I guess I was expecting more for an $8500 job. We did have another landscaping service comment that oscillating sprinkler heads should have been used AND they weren't spaced properly. They should be in a diamond pattern and these appeared to be random. We do get coverage but have 4 zones and run each zone for 20 minutes 3 times a day. That's 4 hours a day. Seems like way too much time for a lawn this size. And after 5 weeks for the most part the grass looks the same as when installed. We have virtually no growth and it's still a light green/yellow color. Finally we come to the grass not being level. We were told by another landscaper the ground should be rolled prior to sod installation and after installation. **** did roll it after but not before. We did ask about this and he indicated it shouldn't be rolled before. I don't know what the right answer is I just know it's so uneven we get pooling when it rains and even some from the sprinklers. **** said this is only a problem if it sits for 72 hours. So to sum it up this was a very disappointing experience and we obviously wouldn't recommend **** to our friends

We don't believe based on the equipment that was installed or the lack of quality of work that the $8500 was justified. Assuming the grass eventually grows we can live with this. However we would like to replace the sprinkler heads with something more appropriate that would allow for less watering time. But we do think a partial refund would be appropriate based on everything described

the last contact date by *****(homeowner) was 10/19/2014 at 6:48 pm Sunday Night concerning a puddle or water in the grass area . I contacted her by text that same day and then follow the conversation by phone the next day on 10/20/2014 at 8:19 am. my completion date was on 10/3/2014. since then I have never refused service and or warranty to homeowners. From day one the deal was made with *****, the husband was never present for the initial agreement 90% of the conversations and agreements were with *****. timer was mentioned to ***** I told her I would use a hunter xc product to replace the one she had. however by start date a electrician had already cancelled the wires on the main panel and so I spoke to **** about it and he asked me to connect to an existing circuit breaker to which I responded that I could not do that so I presented ***** with the choice of a different timer and she agreed. the rest of the equipment is irrelevant due to the fact that is still working properly. The grass type was mentioned to ***** prior to me ordering the grass, Wendys' concern was that she did not want to water a lot and she did not want a lot of maintenance work on the grass, so I picked the grass that requires less watering and less work which is the mid-iron but they changed the order to tifway simply saying they liked that better. nothing was ever hidden from homeowners I showed them the prodcuts before installation. A very important note that is the original estimate came out to $9,646.50 but ***** bargained the price so both came to the agreement of $8,500.00 also something not mentioned in the complaint is that the stumps removed, oleander trimming, filling and cleaning area where stumps were removed and edging for grass were not included in the original bid, I however as a courtesy to the customer added those expenses to my business. From the beginning ***** were getting to agreements which were followed by calls 2 or 4 hours later either about concerns or changes to the original agreements. I am fully committed to my warranties however in this case there is nothing at fault with my products. Issues brought to my attention were attended accordingly and it never took me more than 24 hours to respond to texts or calls concerning any problems.
4 stations were installed the reasoning for that was explained to both homeowners many times individually and together, the reason was that the pressure of the water in their house was not proper. both homeowners said they were going to contact the water company in regards to that. I went above and beyond for ***** and ****.
The watering times after 4 weeks should not be 20 minutes 3 times a day, that was also specified numerous amounts of times. water should be cut back to less watering start times and watering time. it is mentioned that other landscapers were involved with comments for "proper installation " for grass and irrigation system. every professional landscaper will have a different way of installing products but in the end the sole purpose of the install is to have a functional and efficient product and that is exactly what the customers received. there is obviously a mistrust issue from the customer and a mistrust on my part on the other landscapers' opinion, with that in mind I think the best resolution for the customers *****, **** and my business could be a little different from what the homeowners suggest. The customer could bring his two landscapers that allegedly commented on my work, I can then bring my own well prepared and experienced outside landscaper to get his expert opinion on the matter and refute either my opinion or the other landscapers opinion.

I went above and beyond for ***** and **** just like I do with any other customer therefore I can I can meet with customers and landscapers as soon as possible to resolve this matter rapidly and efficiently.
sincerely
alex landscaping

We appreciate the comments from ****. As with most disputes the truth lies somewhere in the middle of each parties assertions. I will say **** was very responsive to our issues and questions. He did come back quickly and move a sprinkler head because we weren't getting water on a 3 ft area and the grass was dried out. Obviously we would prefer to not have had those kinds of problems. Our remaining issues which Tucson Water actually commented on when assisting us on a water audit through the Zanjero Program on 11/12/14 was how unlevel the ground was and how poorly the seams between the sod looked. They see newly planted lawns all day so I have to lend some credence to their comments. Regardless we aren't looking to have the sod removed, ground leveled, and sod put down and seams merged properly by **** or anyone else. Starting over will mean another $500 water bill and that's just not worth it. Ultimately **** believes he did a quality job and as customers we disagree. Voicing our opinion positive or negative is what BBB is for.

Landscape Maintenance, Tree Service