BBB Accredited Business since 07/30/2009

American Handyman Service, LLC

10/01/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I was told by the Am. Handyman that they would provide proper safety equipment to paint my house. Come to find out they subcontracted the job out.

I was told that Am. Handyman would paint my house for $5000.00 on September 8, 2015 and provide all safety equipment to do so. I have a two story house and they informed me that proper scaffolding would be used and prior to painting the house it would be power washed. Come to find out the job was subcontracted out to another company. Which I have no problem with but no safety equipment was used and the house wasn't power washed, they just painted over the dirt! And when they arrived they told me it would cost me another $600.00 because the eves were painted with stucco paint!? What I should have done was cancel the job but I had taken the day from work because have my elderly parents living with me. Then to top it off the painters that they hired went around to my neighbors telling them they would charge them $3200.00 to paint their house, which is the exact floor plan as mine! Really! an 85% mark up! They first quoted me $8000.00 but gave me a break because they had got a fantastic deal on some paint from Dunn Edwards, this was Am Handyman telling me this not the subcontractor. The first day they all disappeared about an hour after they arrived and just left one guy to work with no water. They had to buy the paint they had gotten a great deal on! They came back later that day and did the base coat. They showed up the next day late (wreck on I-10) but didn't bother to call. I had to work that day but my parents were there. That day one of the painters was working on the second floor and fell! This was why I wanted the scaffolding! My parents were frightened to death and to top it off were a nervous wreck! I just could not believe it! I came home from work and asked if they needed to go to the hospital and I asked if I needed to call an ambulance. They informed me he was not an ambulance kind of guy. Please do not hire this company! They were all lies and the mark up of 85% was really uncalled for. Really was that necessary. The owner of the subcontracted company told me he only charged them $3000.00 for the job. My final cost was $5600.00! My custom made blind on the second floor is missing and there are a few spots not painted and the minor repairs to my stucco were not touched (I was told that they would be taken care of) but I will not call them back out. I am just glad nobody was seriously injured!

The job I was quoted was not satisfactory and I am asking for some kind of reimbursement. The mark up was ridiculous (85%)! These guys were not professionals and going through a company that had an A+ BBB rating I thought I would be getting that. Everything I was quoted did not happen except for the Dunn Edwards paint. I saw a bucket! Then to top it off, going around to my neighbors and telling them they would do the same work for $2600.00 cheaper (My neighbor has the exact floor plan as my house)! No safety equipment. Workers falling off ladders form the second floor. No minor repairs done to my stucco. Clean up, very little.

So far, I have resolved the issues with American Handyman. Thank you for your assistance.
*******

Handyman Services, Doors - Installation, Doors - Patio, Doors, Remodeling Services, Roofing Contractors, Plumbers, Home Improvements, Drywall Contractors, Carpenters