BBB Accredited Business since 10/01/1986

John's Towing & Repair Service

07/19/2013Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

I was lied to and told payment arrangements could be made so they could get my car on the truck. When on the truck, they mentioned a credit card now.
I was told by the tow driver that they do make payments with people. I specifically told him unless he was sure I could make the payments, he was not to tow my car to his location (as he was trying to persuade me to go to his place of business). He insisted that I would receive arrangements and that they would help me. After picking my car up, he then mentioned finding a credit card to charge the entire amount to, again, I mentioned the payments and he said they should not be a problem. The next day I got a call from who I assume is the owner of the shop, telling me that my alternator and battery were both faulty. He said he did not want to get in there to check the battery, as it would require him to take the tire off. He then proceeded to tell me the total estimate of my tow and repair, included was a close to 40 dollar fee for inspection and seeing the car, that I was first informed was free. The man then proceeded to tell me that I was told no such thing about a free inspection, or even the payment arrangements. Upon insisting that he asked his driver himself, I found that the driver was only trying to get my car on the truck and to their shop so they could hit me with the fees the driver previously informed me would not be charged. The tow driver knew that I wanted to make payments, and assured me that they let many people make them and that it could easily be worked out. I told the man this and he quickly became defensive and called me a liar, stating that I changed my story many times. He then proceeded to tell me that he does not care if I have to walk to work and my college classes, but he would not honor the promise his tow driver made to. Upon mentioning that my grandpa was returning home soon and could cover the expenses, he immediately seemed more willing to work with me. But after calling me a liar and saying those mean and insensitive things, I was less then willing to work with this company for they had treated me as I was not a prospective customer, but a person to degrade and rip off. At the end of the conversation, when I told the man that I would not be giving him my business, or recommending his business, the man stated that "I better watch my back." It was then that I demanded they tow my car back to the original place I wanted, where I am treated like an equal despite being a woman in an automobile repair store. I do not feel that I was treated with respect and dignity, and the man raised his voice frequently. To add to the situation, when my step-father returned home with some of my items I had left in the car, I was intrigued. I asked him how he had gotten the items, and explained that the windows, door, and trunk of my car were all open. All he had to say was "I need to get some of her things." That was it, no further identification needed. A stranger could have walked up at any point and stolen anything from my car, including some of my electronics that I would consider valuable. This company is only out to get people's automobiles on their tow trucks with promises of discounted tows, payment arrangements, and free inspection that are just a scam. The man only wanted his money and that was all he cared about, not serving his customers or even treating them with respect.

I would like the company to refund my money for the tow, as I, the customer was lied to repeatedly and assured that I could have payment arrangements made. When I mentioned the situation, the manager got defensive and very rude. Despite offending me, yelling at me, threatening me and clearly upsetting me, he still made me pay the $95 plus tax to tow my car. I understand that the tow service was provided, but it was under false pretenses and the owner did not consider my side to be truthful for a minute. He truly just wanted his money and thought he could manipulate me through anger and fear to pay the $450 I was assured would be divided into payments that would come out of my bank account by the tow driver.

I really am surprised by this complaint. We were so nice to her and really tried to help her out. We picked up the car and my driver told her that we also do repairs. She asked about arrangements, but **** told her that that determination had to be made by me the owner. He said he told her I may have done payment arrangements for existing customers but this young lady we had never worked with before.

We looked at the car and let her know how much the repair would be. She said her grandfather has a credit card and would pay. Well then the grandfather told her his was not comfortable making a credit card payment over the phone (he was in ********* I explained to Miss ****** that we really don't do payment arrangements, she wanted us to take $50 every 2 weeks from her account. This was a $400 job. We really needed her to pay for the repairs upfront.

I did feel sorry for her however, so I was willing to make payment arrangements with her. But then she said her grandfather said not to do it because he didn't trust us! Also she told us that someone was coming to pick up her books. So when the guy came in and told us what he was there for we knew it was ok. And yes the hood was up and windows down, the car was pulled up to the front of the shop and we were working on it. If the trunk was unlocked it is b/c it came to us that way. We had no reason to go into the trunk.

Since Miss ****** and her grandfather did not want to work with us we did tow the car the original place she wanted at no extra charge. I never said I don't care how she gets to class. We were willing to fix the car right away.

We towed the vehicle to our place and finally where she requested. There is no refund due.

****

Towing - Automotive, Brake Service, Auto Repair & Service, Auto Electric Service, Auto Air Conditioning Equipment