BBB Accredited Business since 04/19/1995

Owens-Corning (Headquarters)

65 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 27 closed in last 12 months

09/08/2016Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

Owens Corning Warranty Process Ridiculously long for obvious defect. This is Causing more damage to my home!
On July 19 2016 I had a leak in my roof which was installed in May of 2012. This was a new Manufactured home approx. 19 squares. The leak isnt confined to any one area and has caused discoloration in my ceiling as well as the drywall to fall down in one room. I am a warranty manager for another business in Illinois so I know what should have been done when I called them. Send someone out and take a look. Instead they wanted me a man who had a broken back (at the time) to climb on his roof get samples and take and send pictures to them. They said it was my responsibility to do it OR hire someone to do it at my cost. All the while my roof is still leaking. Finally they get their samples and 20-40 pictures. (4) roofing contractors say its a manufacturers defect and this doesnt happen from natural weathering. There are visible horizontal and Vertical cracks, as well as at least 30% of the roof or more NEVER sealed in the hottest dryest summer in the last 5 years. Now they say my warranty has been CHECKLISTED and they need more photos done a different way more wide angle views. Now I climb on my roof again (luckily im on the mend) and take more photos not EVEN really sure of what they want. All the while I have tarped the worst leak (at my expense) and I cant cover my ENTIRE ROOF. The shingles I sent CLEARLY showed manufacturers defect and the contractor who took them off said hes seen it before and is usually COVERED. SO WHY NEAR A month later do I still have leaks in a 4 year old roof? This needs resolved sooner rather than later. The warranty is clear manufacturer will pay 100% parts and labor to replace this type of shingle (duration) for a period of 10 years due to manufacturers defect. If my roof leaks more this weekend and more of my ceilings come down who is going to pay for that? All I know is there is some lady in the background called Shevonne S****** (who by the way does not talk to the customer NOR inform you of lab results from your shingles) I think they really just hope people give up.

Since the defects span both slopes of my single story ranch style home I want to see settlement adequate to do a complete tear off and replacement of the defective shingles (all of the same batch). I have quotes from 4 different contractors and ALL contractors have said this roof should NOT be patched and SHOULD be replaced completely.

In review of the claim submitted to Owens Corning this claim has been approved and paid as of 8/26/2016. Owens Corning would now consider this claim closed.

After getting on the phone with their customer service reps and higher people then just the people that answer the phone. And after threatening a lawyer as well as my insurance company was going to sue them. They finally paid. If there's a lesson to learn by this it is simple they're going to try and deny your claim the first time every time. Although they have paid for the roof as they should have done it was only A4 year old roof. There is no reason that this should of went as horribly as it did. Monetarily very happy with the outcome. As a company if I had to choose a new roof I would not buy Owens Corning.

12/30/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

The Owens Corning 40 year Weather Guard shingle I installed on my roof are defective and lasted 12 years. I am seeking a fair settlement with OC,
OC has the detailed complaint under Case ********. The 40 Yr Weather Guard shingles were defective, and the purchase was made with an expectation that the product would not be defective. Any reasonable person (this excludes OC lawyers) would expect a settlement to include, at a minimum, prorated cost to replace.

In this case the defect was detected when painting the house (OC did not advise me to do an annual roof inspection on their product and they should have known of these defects and warned consumers of it, but the problem obviously started long before 12 years).

So 12 yrs is a 30% life span versus expected, and yet OC want me, a retiree with no income, to pay 75% for a roof replacement. In addition, OC proposes a credit to the supplier, and not cash to me. I have no cash to replace , cannot deposit a credit to a supplier at my bank, and am being told I can only replace the roof with a shingle made by a company that makes defective shingles and does not stand behind them. Go figure. They shift responsibility for their defective products to the home owner. In other words, they want me to cover the warranty cost for their product.

My Dad used to call this corporate lawyer trickery.

A reasonable settlement , given the defective product, and the life span of it versus expectation, would be for me to pay 30% for the new roof and OC to pay 70%.

I already know the legal dept will hide behind the fine print of the documents they crafted to avoid fair treatment of customer when their product fails. So either my wife or I or both, will go back to work for a year or two to subsidize the salaries of the OC lawyers, and get a roof we thought we purchased from OC several years ago.

Either share in the replacement of the roof (70% of cost), using the same product, or a cash settlement of 50% of the cost replacement (bids to be requested from three roofers)

It appears that the customer has spoke to an Owens Corning Representative on 11/12/2015. This warranty claim was settled within the terms of the warranty in place at the time the material was installed. The warranty coverage includes 100% material and labor costs during the first ten (10) years after installation. After that period, the warranty covers material but not labor. When calculating material replacement costs, our warranty states will take into consideration the number of months the homeowner has enjoyed the product through the date of the claim. We regret the consumers dissatisfaction with the terms of the warranty and/or resolution

The warranty claim wasn't settled at all. Aside from an unsatisfactory offer to settle, they have offered a credit to a supplier and nothing to me directly. My offer for a settlement still stands.

A check in the amount of $6,100.00 has bee issued to the customer and they should receive this within the next 7-10 business days.

12/21/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

SHINGLES REGISTERED ON MY HOUSE WITH OWENS CORNING ON JULY,3RD.2003.HAD A 30 YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY.AT MY AGE THIS WAS THE SELLING POINT FOR ME.IN 2013-14 I STARTED NOTICING A LOT OF GRANULES IN MY GUTTERS.WENT ON THE ROOF TO INSPECT THE DARK AREAS AND DISCOVERED MOST OF GRANULES MISSING AND BLACK AREAS WERE FROM UNDER LYING BLACK ASPHALT SHOWING THROUGH.CALLED CONTRACTOR WHO INSTALLED ROOF AND HIS OBSERVATION WAS AN EXCESS LOSS OF GRANULES.THIS CONTRACTOR IS ALSO AN APPROVED OWENS CORNING INSTALLER.INDICATED IT WILL JUST GET WORSE AND LEAKS WILL OCCUR. TOOK PICTURES TO ANOTHER PREMIUM RECOMMENDED OWENS CORNING CONTRACTOR AND HE INDICATED WHILE YOU WILL HAVE GRANULE LOSS IT SHOULD"T BE THAT BAD.INDICATED THE SHINGLES I HAVE HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED SEVERAL YEARS BACK BECAUSE OF CONSUMER PROBLEMS WITH IT.SHARED A PICTURE AFTER THE HARD RAINS AND FLOODING WE HAD IN JUNE OF THIS YEAR.I HAD SEVERAL AREAS OF BLUE GRANULES ON THE GROUND THAT CAME OVER MY GUTTER HELMET. WAS NOT FROM A DOWN SPOUT.INDICATED THIS AMOUNT OF GRANULE LOSS SHOULDN'T OCCUR AFTER THIS MANY YEAR'S.I SHARED THIS PICTURE TWICE TO OWEN'S CORNING REP'S AND RECEIVED NO COMMENT'S I SENT A COMPLAINT TO OWEN'S TWO TIMES. THE FIRST TIME I SENT PICTURES THAT SHOWED DARK SPOTS ON THE ROOF FROM A DISTANCE,ALONG WITH TWO SHINGLE SAMPLES.RECEIVED A REPLY THAT THE DARK SPOTS IS AN ALGAE CAUSED BY AIRBORNE SPORES.ALSO THE GRANULE ADHESION IS NORMAL FOR AGE OF SHINGLES.COULDN'T BELIEVE I PURCHASED A TWENTY YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY SHINGLE AND HAD THIS MUCH GRANULE LOSS WITH BLACK ASPHALT SHOWING THROUGH. SENT A SECOND SAMPLE OF SHINGLES AND CLOSE UP PICTURES SHOWING THE MISSING GRANULES ON THE SHINGLES AND BLACK ASPHALT SHOWING THROUGH GIVING IT THE BLACK AREAS. ALSO INDICATED I WOULD LIKE FOR A REP TO COME TO MY HOME AND VIEW IN PERSON.NO RESPONSE ON THIS REQUEST. ALSO INDICATED I WAS NOT ASKING FOR OR WANTED PHYSICAL MONEY,BUT A CREDIT TO PURCHASE MORE SHINGLES. MY RESPONSE BACK WAS THE SAME AS THE FIRST.I INVITE CEO AND BOARD OF DIRECTORS TO VISIT.

DON'T ADVERTISE A 30 YR.LIMITED WARRANTY AND INDICATE AFTER 15 YRS.THE MESS I HAVE ON MY ROOF AS BEING NORMAL. IT SHOULD BE ADVERTISED AS A 15YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY. I READ MR.T*****'S(CEO) AND BOARD OF DIRECTORS BUSINESS CONDUCT STATEMENT.IF THEY VISIT MY HOME AND COULD VIEW THE MISSING GRANULES AS I AND TWO CERTIFIED CONTRACTORS HAS AND FEEL I HAVE NO COMPLAINT,I WOULD BE SATISFIED.IF IN AGREEMENT THEN MAKE ADJUSTMENTS AND GIVE ME A CREDIT TO PURCHASE SHINGLES FROM ONE OF THEIR CONTRACTORS.

I am sorry 'claimant' is disappointed by the response to his inquiry in connection with the Owens Corning Roofing & Asphalt Limited Warranty on Roofing Shingles. I want to assure you that we value our customers and their satisfaction. We have examined the information that was provided and determined that the shingles did not show signs of granule loss, but that the shingles have algae on them. The warranty for algae on shingles installed during this time frame was for 10 years and since this time has passed that portion of the warranty has expired. If the claimant believes they still have an issue they can hire a third party inspector to come and look at the roof and submit a report to Owens Corning with their findings.

I SUBMITTED MORE PICTURES TO THE BBB SHOWING SOME BARE SPOTS WITH NO GRANULES TO MANY AREAS WITH VERY FEW GRANULES.ANYBODY WITH VISION AT ALL CAN SEE IT IS GRANULE LOSS AND NOT AN ALGAE ON THE GRANULES. YOU WOULD THINK A FORTUNE 500 COMPANY WHO VALUES IT'S CUSTOMERS COULD AFFORD TO PAY ONE OF THEIR EXPERTS TAKE ONE HOUR AND MAKE A PERSONAL VISIT TO FACE THE CUSTOMER AND EXPLAIN AND SHOW THEM WHY IT IS ALGAE AND NOT MISSING OR AN EXCESS LOSS OF GRANULES. AGAIN I WOULD INVITE OC TO MY HOME AND VIEW THE ROOF .

12/14/15 (***) Kay/OC called to advise that they have settled Mr. H******'s claim under his warranty. OC has found that Mr. H******'s shingles did have a large amount of algae and OC also acknowledges there was granule loss. Owens Corning has awarded Mr. H****** the pro rated costs of materials.

From: David H****** (mailto:*******************)
Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 2015 8:25 PM
To: info@toledobbb.org
Subject: owencorningroofing

MR. D*******,
WOULD YOU PLEASE RESEND THE LAST CORRESPONDENCE FROM OWEN CORNING GRANTING ME A SETTLEMENT. I INADVERTENTLY DELETED IT. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE.

AFTER OUR CONVERSATION LAST WEEK I HAD A RESPONSE FROM THEM FORTY MINUTES LATER AND A SETTLEMENT OFFER WITHIN A WEEK. I WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU AND THE BBB FOR YOUR EFFORTS AND GREAT SERVICE TO CONSUMERS, I HAD AND TRIED TRUST SEVERAL TIME'S WITH OC , BUT NO COOPERATION. THE PICTURES OF THE SHINGLES SHOWED AN OBVIOUS FLAW.
AFTER YOU RESEND THE SETTLEMENT OFFER I WILL COMPLETE IT AND SEND IT BACK TO YOUR OFFICE.
DAVE H******,

12/02/2015Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

I purchased & had installed Owens Corning 40 year shingles less than 10 years ago & they are already cracking & crumbling.
I purchased & had professionally installed the Owens Corning 40 year shingles less than 10 years ago. I spent over $5,000.00 on the shingles, roofing materials, & labor. Approximately 2 months ago, my roof began to leak. I called out the roofers that had installed them & had them patch the hole & inspect the roof. They took pictures to show me how badly my roof had degraded in such a short period of time & told me they had never seen anything like it. I contacted ****** Lumber where I had purchased the shingles to inquire about the warranty. They confirmed that the shingles that I had purchased did indeed have the 40 year manufacturers warranty & suggested that I contact the company & gave me Owens Corning contact info. I called them & spoke to them about filing my claim, they sent me out paperwork to fill out & requested pictures & the shingles that I had replaced when I had the leak fixed. I gave them all of the info that they requested as well as several pictures & shingles & still have not heard anything back. Meanwhile it is now fall & my roof continues to leak as I need the whole roof replaced. I just had my house insulated over the summer - the insulation in the attic is probably getting ruined from the leaky roof. I am 75 years old. My point in paying extra to purchase shingles with a 40 year warranty was so that they would last me the rest of my lifetime. I am on a fixed income & physically unable to roof a house myself. I cannot afford to pay for new shingles & having them put on again - nor should I have to since mine came with a 40 year warranty. But we now going into winter, my roof continues to leak worse with each bout of bad weather as I wait to hear back from Owens Corning. If I have to wait much longer my home that I have lived in for over 40 years may have structural damage or mold growth from the rain that continues to come in & be absorbed by my new insulation. Its only a matter of time before my ceiling begins to mold or get a hole. I worked in the tire industry for years & my lungs have been affected by asbestos. My health cannot take any complications from mold growth in my home. Again I am a 75 year old senior citizen I have worked hard my whole life to take care of this home for my family. It is unfair that because of a faulty product that I purchased with my hard earned money - I am watching my home slowly fall apart. I would like this matter resolved very soon - before any more damage can be done.

I spent over $5,000 to have my whole roof replaced less than 10 years ago. Now it all needs replaced again because of Owens Corning faulty shingles. I know that I am not the only one who has had this very same problem. I have seen over 100 complaints of customers having the same problem that I had within the same amount of time. They should honor their warranty. I don't know what type of structural damage is underneath the shingles - as I stated previously this has been going on for 2 months & we have had a lot of heavy rain. I suspect that at the least - I will also need to replace some of the insulation - that I had just had done this summer - in addition to the roof. I would like my $5,000.00 refunded so that I can purchase new shingles & have them put on. Again - I am a 75 year old man on a fixed income & cannot physically or financially take care of the repairs myself. Again - that was why I paid extra for shingles with a 40 year warranty - so my roof was 1 less thing I would have to worry about.

Upon investigation, the information sent in to Owens Corning has been received and will be reviewed this week. Once the information has been reviewed communication will be sent to you with the findings. Owens Corning's Limited Warranty on Roofing shingles states that we will cover all manufacturing defects that affect the performance of the roof.

I appreciate that they will review it & get back to me this week - but they have yet to provide a resolution to my original complaint. I still want my defective shingles to be replaced.

A check for the settlement amount should have been received by the customer on 11/24/2015 per the UPS tracking number.

I did finally receive the check thank you very much.

10/16/2015Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

Owens Corning warranty service will not participate with me to resolve roofing issues caused by incompetent platinum installer
In March of 2015 I had a Owens Corning Platinum I contractor install a new asphalt duration shingle roof. Several problems were quickly noticed and brought to the attention of the installer: ****** *********** Some of these problems included: misalignment of fixtures with roof deck holes, no drip edge, foreign material in shingles, missing granular, nail heats exposed, incomplete attachment of fixtures, incomplete bonding of shingle layers, gaps under leading edge of shingles and valley shingles unsealed.
The contractor was contacted of these problems but refused to acknowledge the issues, or send a representative to investigate. As an additional effort I contacted Owens Corning Warranty directly and the local BBB to file a complaint. The contractor made several irrelevant suggestions that would not acknowledge my concern and the BBB closed the case as unsatisfied.
Owens Corning Warranty sent a representative **** ***** who appeared to indicate there were problems with the shingles, but analysis of samples taken showed the shingles were acceptable and the fault was the installation.
Several problems have caused me to loose faith in the installer, in addition to their inability to properly install the shingles initially to include: showing up at the residence when requested not to, leaving property unsecured, inability to communicate the purpose of their actions, and after so many uncooperative exchanges a genuine fear of the original installer.
After communicating these issues of fear, Owens Corning Warranty has requested this original contractor to fix something. There has been no indication to the consumer what is to be fixed, or if the repairs are acceptable or complete. In addition I don't feel confident that an installer who could not install shingles correctly when the roof was taken down to the decking, that that same contractor can do an adequate and proper partial repair, or even the extent of the repair. The roof cost $12,000 using Owens Corning duration shingles.

As the repair of the roof would not involve a new roof I do not feel I am getting what I paid for, which was a new roof, not a roof repair.
Additional nail holes and stress to the roof should not have to be accepted by the home owner.

Owens Corning is willing to participate in the correcting of the customers roofing concerns. The customer needs to obtain an estimate from an Owens Corning Platinum or Preferred contractor to repair workmanship issues on his home. Once received Owens Corning will review and make a determination on next steps.

While Owens Corning's offer to participate in the resolution of the problem presented by the consumer is encouraging in concept, it is lacking in commitment. They have not addressed the events of the issue to date, which have been filed with their warranty department. Specifically, the initial contractor, ****** ********** of Hamilton NJ, has after many requests by the consumer finally inspected the roof while the Owens Corning representative **** ***** was present. A resolution of the issues presented to the installer and the Owens Corning representative by the consumer were not provided. Instead, an email from the installer stated they would be repairing "all issues", but have not indicated what those issues are. A request to the Owens Corning Warranty department, to not have the repair conducted by the original contractor, for reasons delineated in the initial complaint were not responded to by the Owens Corning Warranty department, and the initial contractor has sent an email to the consumer requesting a time to complete "all repairs" as an indication they would be performing all the repairs, whatever they may be.

The problems with Owens Corning response and consumer's position are:

1. Issues with the roof, already witnessed by the original installer and the Owens Corning representative **** ***** have not been identified in writing to the consumer so that the extent of the Owens Corning company's acknowledged required repairs can be agreed upon, or would be agreed with after the additional inspection suggested by Owens Corning.
1.a. How will the outcome of the initial inspection be used to evaluate the subsequent inspection? What was the purpose to the initial inspection, are there no records? Is the installer to come and fix the unknown: "whatever", and be done with the issue.

2. Owens Corning, in their recommendation to the BBB complaint against them, has not indicated that the repair will be done by a company other than the original installer.
2.a. Consumer is afraid that the original company will cause further problems, either intentional of due to their incompetence as is evident in the initial roof installation.

3. Owens Corning has not addressed compensation for additional wear which will occur as a result of a repair that would not be required if the roof was installed properly.
3.a. Consumer has paid to have a job done correctly, with required disruption. Repairs could leave additional nail holes in roof, damaged decking, damage underlayment, interrupt the continuity of the underlayment, damage adjacent shingle when repairing intended shingle, weaken adhesion when replacing shingles.

4. Who is Owens Corning suggesting pay for the additional inspection?
4.a. Is the consumer expected to pay to have obvious installation failures identified? Was the initial inspection thorough and a report prepared on what needed to be done? Or was the installer to put on a "good show" by parading around the roof without a plan to repair.

5. Why is the inspection to be conducted by an Owen Corning platinum contractor?
5.a. Previous attempts to obtain an inspection by a different Owens Corning Platinum contractor, to identify the exact extent of poor workmanship were rejected by that contractor until after Owens Corning had done their inspection and determined findings. Is there collusion within the community to report only what is agreed upon?

An Owens Corning Platinum installer was selected by the consumer to capitalize on the Owens Corning investment in the quality installation of their product. My experience with the installation was that there is no quality control of the installer by Owens Corning,

In an effort to satisfy all of the customers concerns Owens Corning will ask that one of our technical team inspectors come out to the home to identify areas of concern. This information once reported back to Owens Corning will be communicated to the customer. The customer is not obligated to use the original installer if they do not feel comfortable, however per the terms of the warranty they will have to use an Owens Corning Preferred or Platinum contractor for any repairs done. The customer will be contacted by an Owens Corning inspector to set a date in which this work will be done at no charge to the customer.

There was an initial acknowledgement of problems with the installation of the roof. The specific problems were not identified nor was an agreement made as to the extent of the problems or how they were to be repaired. The original installer, who apparently was the cause of the problem, and the Owens Corning customer service department were apparently coordinating between themselves to address the issues without obtaining agreement with the consumer with regards to the identification of the problems, and therefore the repair of same.

The most recent suggestion by Owens Corning indicates that the problems will be mutually agreed upon, and repairs will be performed in a mutually agreed way so that the value of the installation will be maintained.

I am eagerly awaiting amicable resolution to this issue.

09/30/2016Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

We had Owens Corning Oakridge shingles installed on Oct. 3, 2007. The shingles are defective, and our roof is no longer serviceable. The shingles are 3-dimensional and should have lasted well over 30 years. I first contacted Owens Corning in May 2016 when we noticed that the granules were coming off the shingles. Aug. 1, 2016 I called them again and was told that I would receive information in the mail in 7-10 business days. I looked at their online portal, and it shows that we will receive $2539.50. We have not received anything in the mail, and $2539.50 is not acceptable. Two estimates for a new roof are close to $10,000, which we cannot afford. My husband and I are very close to retirement, just finished putting two kids through Purdue University, and I have had seven surgeries in the past three years. Please see the information below.Our claim # is ********.Photographs: ****************************************************************************************** Two full-size shingle samples from the affected area of subject property roof which demonstrate the quality concern: Sent 5-24-2016 via UPS and delivered on 5-26-2016 to Owens Corning.
Product_Or_Service: Roof Shingles
Order_Number: Invoice #****
Account_Number: Proposal # ****

The estimates for a new roof are close to $10,000. We would like $7,000.00 towards the cost of a new roof installed.

Owens Corning sent a settlement to the homeowner on 8/1/2016. If they have not received this letter and/or are disputing the settlement please contact Owens Corning at 800-ROOFING to discuss.

*SEE ATTACHMENTS*

Received at BBB from consumer via email (Business Response had not been received yet):

Our complaint ID# with the Better Business Bureau is ********.

We had Owens Corning Oakridge shingles installed on Oct. 3, 2007. The shingles are defective, and our roof is no longer serviceable. The shingles were properly installed; however, the shingles are faulty and soon our roof will be leaking. The shingles are 3-dimensional and should have lasted over 30 years as listed on the proposal from Marchel Roofing. I first contacted Owens Corning in May 2016 when we noticed that the granules were coming off the shingles. Aug. 1, 2016 I called them again and was told that I would receive information in the mail in 7-10 business days. I looked at their online portal, and it shows that we would receive $2539.50. We have not received anything in the mail, and $2539.50 is not acceptable. Attached you will also find two estimates for a new roof, which we cannot afford. My husband and I are very close to retirement, just finished putting two kids through Purdue University, and I have had seven surgeries in the past three years. Please see the attachments and information below.

Our claim # with Owens Corning is ********.

Attached you will find the following information:

Warranty Claim Evaluation Form (completed, including signature of structure owner)- Attached

Material Samples: Two full-size shingle samples from the affected area of subject property roof which demonstrate the quality concern: Sent 5-24-2016 via UPS with the tracking # ****************** and delivered on 5-26-2016 to Owens Corning.

Proof of Purchase or Date of Application: Photocopy of any of the following: original receipt for shingles, contractor's invoice (not estimate) for roof installation (Attached).

Estimates for a new roof (2)

Your prompt cooperation in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Joseph and Nancy *****

Owens Corning had emailed the claim approval letter to the customers on 9/15/2016 and if they have not received this letter and/or have questions or are disputing the settlement please contact Owens Corning at 800-ROOFING to discuss

09/08/2016Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

In 2000, after consulting with Consumer Reports, we had a new roof put on with Owens Corning Weatherguard Driftwood/Supreme 110mph/40 year warranty. On January 2006 a portion of our roof ripped off in strong winds. OC reported that the roof had been over nailed. They offer to provide material replacement and our roofer repaired the roof, claim #******. On December 2011 another section of our roof was ripped off with OC reporting the same cause and once again provided roofing material for claim #******. Since this time, I have had to go on the roof on an annual basis to nail down the leading edge of numerous roofing shingles as the adhesive was not maintaining it's integrity. After researching online, I discovered OC has had issues regarding this problem on many occasions with lawsuits involved. On March 2016, while on the roof trying to repair multiple adhesive integrity issues, I notice the roofing material was cracking. After an internet search, I determined that it was called thermal cracking. I once again contacted OC to file a claim #********. OC had a rep., Doug D******/ Frontier Home Inspections come out to take a sample of the roof. He reported to me that there indeed was thermal cracking and sent a sample to OC. Later, they contacted me via mail to report that the thermal cracking was a result of our home having no roof ventilation. The issue is two-fold. One, our home is a Lindel Cedar home,post and beam, that does not have a space between the roof and our ceiling except for plywood and insulation. Thus there is no way to have a ventilation system installed. Secondly, upon further research, there are numerous lawsuits against OC for consistently denying warranty claims. As this is my third claim against OC with minimal or no acknowledgement of culpability, I am feeling that I have been deceived by OC.
Product_Or_Service: OC weatherguard driftwood 110m

I would like OC to finally take responsibility for their poor quality materials (numerous lawsuits have been filed regarding this) and honor their warranty commitments (numerous lawsuits) and replace my roof. I would like to avoid litigation, as I have never done so before.

I am sorry the claimant is not satisfied with Owens Corning's response in regards to his roofing claim. However, the homeowner stated that the roof is unvented roof deck which Owens Corning did not approve for installation until 2011. Because this roof was installed prior to 2011 Owens Corning did not approve this type of installation.

There are two areas of concern, thermal cracking and adhesion issues. The thermal cracking is being rejected on what feels to be a pattern of failure to honor warranty claims that have been well documented. The adhesion issues were not addressed in OC's response. These issues continue to persist. OC's response in the past has been predictably to refuse to accept any culpability. There have been numerous class action lawsuits that have addressed both flaws in OC's products and their numerous attempts to avoid liability with deceptive behaviors.

I am sorry the customer did not accept our previous response to his complaint. Owens Corning is standing by our response in regards to the cracking on the customer roof. In regards to the adhesion issues on the roof. Depending on the components used when the roof was installed the wind resistance and/or adhesion portion of the warranty was either five or ten years. This roof was installed in 7/2000 and the claim was opened 3/2016 therefore that portion of your warranty has expired.

08/29/2016Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

40 year shingles that are 12 years old are starting to fail. Owens-Corning will not replace because the shingles were not registered.
My current residence, ********************** in *****************, was built in April 2002. Johnson Roofing in Chico, CA used Owens-Corning 40 year shingles on the roof. The house was purchased in 2002 by the *********. My wife and I purchased the house from the ********* in July of 2005. At no time was a shingle warranty offered to us nor did we know if one was available. In May of 2016 I had Julio of Affordable Roofing in Chico, CA examine my roof to make sure that if was in good condition because I was buying a roof mounted solar system. Julio stated that the shingles were cracking and that I needed a new roof. I contacted ************ of Johnson Roofing in Chico, CA. He also examined the roof and said that the shingles were "prematurely failing" and that I needed a new roof. I called the Owens-Corning representative for my area who told me that the roof had not been registered by the first owners. Because of that, the roof was not warrantied. I emailed Owens-Corning by email and explained my situation to Gabrielle J*****. Ms J***** confirmed that because the first owners did not register the roof that there would be no warranty. This roof is now failing 26 years prematurely and Owens-Corning will not back their warranty because of something that was not aware of.

I would like Owens-Corning to pay for the labor to replace my shingles and a prorated price for the replacement shingles.

I am sorry Mr. ***** is disappointed by the response to his inquiry in connection with the Owens Corning Roofing & Asphalt Limited Warranty on Roofing Shingles. I want to assure you that we value our customers and their satisfaction. We take pride in providing a warranty on our roofing products that is among the strongest in the industry. However, as is customary in the roofing industry warranties are typically transferrable only one time during the duration of the warranty. These transfers must be started within the first 60 days of the real estate closer. Because this warranty was not transferred within this time frame Owens Corning cannot honor this warranty.

I do not find Owens-Corning response acceptable. My house was only three years old when I purchased it. I was never offered a warranty for the roof shingles. Whether the warranty was transferred or not does not change the fact that the shingles are advertised as "40 year" and they are failing after only 14 years.

Although Owens Corning understands the customers complaint we are standing by our past response that the warranty must be transferred within the designated 60 day time period and real estate transfer.

08/11/2016Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

Owens Corning refused to honor their 30yrs Mfg warranty for Duration shingles which was installed in 2009. They repeatedly making excuses and denials
I purchased Owens Corning Duration shingles in 2009 and installed in Aug 2009 for 7200.00. The roof leak in Mar 2016, repaired roofer identify shingles as defective advised me to contact Owens Corning for warranty and replace whole house. After numerous mailings Owens Corning try to deceit and denied claim. I have no other recourse but go to the legal system

Owens Corning have to pay back warranty amount either in cash or coupons for better product to replace my roof. Problem of leaking started in March 2016. Repaired roofer identify defective shingles as Owens Corning Duration shingles

Owens Corning both reviewed information sent in on this claim and performed an inspection at the claimants address. The shingles sent into Owens Corning were not Owens Corning shingles and when a physical inspection was performed there were many misapplications found on the roof which are causing the failure. Owens Corning's Standard Warranty covers Manufacturing defects and because the issue at hand is not a manufacturing one Owens Corning can not offer a settlement to the customer.

I have proof that it is their Owens Corning Duration shingles which they denying. I have left over shingles and independent 3rd party roofer (***********) attesting that this is Owens Corning Duration shingles which were discontinued. What Owens Corning did is disgusting. They sent out their people "sampling" my roof and come up with their own bias report. I'll seek legal action if Owens Corning refuse to honor their warranty.

08/08/2016Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

We submitted the claimed, filled out all of paperwork and pictures. Owen Corning agreed that the shingles are defective.
Any seasoned homeowner will tell you that re-roofing a house is no small undertaking. Ripping up and replacing worn or broken shingles is a costly and labor-intensive job, but ultimately a necessary one: a neglected roof can cause problems ranging from leaks to rotted beams and structural problems.
The best way to avoid constant roof replacements is to use quality materials the first time around. That's what we thought we were doing when we had Owens Corning 30 year dimensional shingles installed on new construction home. We thought we were buying the best shingles on the market.
Only after 10 years we realize something was wrong with the shingles. We contacted the home builder and he inspected the roof and said that something was wrong with the shingles. He advise us contact Owen Corning.
We submitted the claimed, filled out all of paperwork and pictures. Owen Corning agreed that the shingles are defective and per our warranty they will only pay for shingles to be replaced at prorated amount. The amount that you offer to pay for shingles $1300, which is store credit to buy your product again. Owen Corning would only be out $700.00 dollars. This is unacceptable. It is insulting to any homeowner.
After doing some research on your product you sold defective shingles country wide and were well aware of the issues with your shingles. There have been several lawsuits against Owen Corning. You had a great quality product that homeowners your customers could depend on, but you change something in way the shingles were manufacture. Now this great product is homeowner's nightmare. Owen Corning shift responsibility for their defective products to the home owner. In other words, they want me to cover the warranty cost for their product.
Now I am dealing with replacing a roof eighteen years early. The cost to replace our roof is going to be $15,000 to $18,000. The defective shingles have to come off, before a quality shingle can be installed.

I am writing this letter asking Owen Corning to revisit my claim. I will not accept store credit and I am asking for settlement of $8000.00 dollars in a check made out to Tina and john ******.
Owen Corning for negligence and fault in manufacturing a defective shingles and fail to notify homeowners of this defect. I will file a complaint with better business bureau and customer protection agency.

Upon investigation, this warranty claim was settled above and beyond the terms of the warranty in place at the time the material was installed. The warranty coverage includes 100% material and labor costs during the first five (5) years after installation. After that period, the warranty covers material but not labor. When calculating material replacement costs, our warranty states will take into consideration the number of months the homeowner has enjoyed the product through the date of the claim. However, Owens Corning is currently working on this claim and will be in contact with the customer.

Manufacturers & Producers