BBB Accredited Business since 05/10/2006

Shrewsbury Custom Exteriors

10/16/2015Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

He is demanding a payment not due, for work he has not done, nor has shown up to do for 2 months. He tore apart my home and caused weather damage.
Contract called for $5k down (paid), $7k (paid) after first stage. Balance due upon Satisfactory Completion. Since Jan 8th, the day I wrote the 2nd check, ****** ********** has refused to come back and finish the work. He left the north east side of my home, walls and roof open, exposed to weather, caused damage. And what work he did failed City Inspection. He also was fined for not getting permits. That was Jan 11th. He threw up some sheathing on the side of my house, obtained permits and since has refused to fix the mess he made of my house. He keeps trying to extort money from me as a condition for him to come finish the job. I have made all payments as he stipulated in the contract as they were due. Which ended up being one $5k check down, 12/29/14 and 2nd of $7k made 1/8/15. I have the contract and checks to prove this. His work is incomplete, not to CODE and has failed City Inspection. He has DAMAGED my home, tore out roof and wall supports, tacked sheathing up over it and has not been back for 2 months. He is now demanding I pay him more, for work he has not done and refuses to come do. Like I said, I will gladly supply copies of paid chacks and the signed contract.

I want Mr. ********** to refund the $12,000.00 I paid him since he tore up my home and refuses to honor the contract and come finish the work. I need the money to hire a reputable contractor to repair the structural damage ********** did to my home.

***Document Attached***
On December 29, 2014 Mr. ***** and I (****** **********) entered a contractual agreement to demolish an existing addition that was connected to Mr. *****' house and to finish the exterior to appear as if nothing was ever there. Mr. ***** was aware that no permits were obtained before starting the project. That does not excuse that I did not pull permits at the beginning of the project. I was fined and I paid the fines and all required permits were obtained. I have not called for final inspections on the permits because the work has not been completed to pass ***** inspection. I have not been back to complete the work because on March 5th, 2015 Mr. ***** told me that my crew and I are not allowed on his property and in doing so would be considered trespassing. I have attached emails supporting this. Mr. ***** also told the city inspector that any requested inspections are not to pass until we can resolve this issue. So any claims that Mr. ***** made about failed permit inspections are incorrect. He did make the 2 payments discussed in the original contract. With that said, he requested additional work be done to his property ( which was not on original contract) without first discussing the repairs or extra cost with me. Those work requests were completed which included extensive plumbing and electrical work, and brick work all of which I have records of. With additional work comes additional costs. These additional costs were covered by the 2 payments he made which were supposed to be for the repairs listed on the original contract, not for extra repairs Mr. ***** decided to have done after the contract was signed. The costs of the repairs increased by $8,397.10. I did tell Mr. ***** that adjustments would need to be made to the contract because of the additional repairs. He and I did agree to replace the roof which was also completed. I have attached the supporting email where he agreed to the roof terms. He verbally told me that once the roof was complete he would make a payment in full for the roof repair which I have yet to receive. Mr. ***** failed to state all the work that ********** Custom Exteriors did do and also failed to mention the extent of the extra repairs he requested. We removed the addition and hauled away the debris. We also reconstructed the gable and tied in the eave line along with finishing out the plumbing and electrical for the washer and installed the back door. We also detached and reset the electrical service and upgraded the breaker box. All of these repairs were on the original contract and were well within the 2 payments made by Mr. *****. Here is a short summary of the other work that we or our subcontractors performed: additional debris removal, digging a trench and moving the gas line, complete roof replacement, move the electrical from the exterior wall, run underground and install on wood pole on outer edge of property line. Amarillo did get a bought of bad weather including freezing temperatures and snow which did slow down and even stop progression of the repairs. Any repairs in progress were left in a manner in which Mr. ***** could still safely remain in his home until the weather got better at which time ********** Custom Exteriors would fix and complete any remaining repairs. During the winter weather conditions I did remain in constant contact with Mr. ***** via email, phone and text. It was at this time Mr. ***** became unwilling to cooperate or compromise on anything. ********** Custom Exteriors made one last attempt to contact Mr. ***** in hopes we could come to an agreement so that ********** Custom Exteriors could complete all remaining repairs and request all final inspections. A certified letter was mailed to Mr. ***** along with all invoices showing in detail all the additional work that had been performed along with the original contract so Mr. ***** could see the comparison of the price difference, as well as the additional repairs. We also sent a new contract with all the necessary adjustments for the incurred costs, so that the new contract could be signed showing good faith that all costs incurred from the repairs he requested would be paid in full. His response to my attempt to complete the repairs was "Thus negotiating with you would be a fool's errand". He was not willing to even look at the other paperwork I sent with the letter. I have attached the email showing his response. ********** Custom Exteriors is a business I started by myself and built from the ground up. I work hard to provide my customers with quality work in a timely manner. Exceptional customer service is the foundation of my business and is what has allowed my company to grow into a reputable exterior business. I have been BBB accredited since 2006 and to the best of my knowledge, I have not had a dissatisfied customer. I can only hope that the truth to this complaint will come to light and that Mr. ***** and I can resolve this.

Mr ********** is a LIAR. HIS work was deemed NOTE TO CODE by the City of Amarillo. The only changes made to the original agreement are documented by email Mr. ********** has NOTHING signed or acknowledged too by me that says different. He tried to get me to pay him to redo his substandard work that failed City Inspection. Mr ********** and ******* ******** work both failed inspection.
I have signed copies of the contract and of the checks Mr ********** cashed. I als have an email from Mr. ********** detailing his agreement to the only changes made to the original agreement. I will gladly provide them to support my claim and I ask Mr. ********** to produce any documents or emails signed or from me that support his. I also ask any said emails be supported with full ISP codes to prove they are legitimate and not something falsified and ran off a printer. Mr. ********** has been fined by the City of Amarillo on this job forILLEGAL WORK and he ignored their notice of substandard, non code compliant work. He is facing more fines for failure to comply with City Codes.
I ahve yet to file on his bond because I am awaiting a detailed structural evaluation as professionals have inspected Mr **********'s work and deemed it a hazard, not just substandard, but his work has literally damaged the structural integrity of my home.Part of his work has fallen off as it was just "toe nailed" on, not properly supported and braced. Some fo the roofing shingles have blown off and it hasn't even been above 20MPH winds. There are gaping holes he left uncovered and the CITY flagged every bit of this. The PERMITS have NOT been completed because of HIS substandard work. I challenge him to produce ALL completed permits. I can easily produce a copy of the "CODE VILOATION NOTICE" the City of Amarillo sent him Mrach 12, 2015., which he has yet to comply too. Again, Mr ********** has been fined and will continue to be fined by the City of Amarillo. He and his subcontractors too date have been fined $1500.00. Dale's Electric and Carter's Plumbing were fined with him for doing illegal work and failure to pull permits.
Again, Mr. ********** can refund every cent I paid him since everything he did here was done wrong and failed inspection. Also, he dumped an estimated 2000 asbestos tiles in the local land fills, for which I have filed a complaint with the EPA and asked for an investigation.

Siding Contractors, Windows - Installation & Service, Gutters & Downspouts, Exterior General Contractors