BBB offers the following tips to avoid tech support scams:
- Don’t turn over control of your computer or give your computer password to someone you don’t know.
- Do not give banking, credit card or other personal information to a strange caller.
- If a caller notifies you that he or she has detected a virus or other threat to your computer, hang up.
- If you have any concerns about your computer, contact your security software company directly and ask for help.
- If you do pay for tech support services, pay with a credit card in case you need to challenge the charge. Do not send money via a wire service.
- Check BBB Business Reviews by going to www.bbb.org or by calling 314-645-3300.
BBB is a nonprofit, business-supported organization that sets and upholds high standards for fair and honest business behavior. All BBB services to consumers are free of charge. BBB provides objective advice, free BBB Business Reviews on more than 4.7 million businesses, 11,000 Charity Reviews, dispute resolution services, alerts and educational information on topics affecting marketplace trust. Please visit www.bbb.org for more information.