BBB Accredited Business since 06/11/1999

Patriot Sunrooms

7 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 1 closed in last 12 months

04/05/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Patriot Sunrooms damaged our property by leaving tons of construction debris in our yard . This killed our grass and landscaping.
Patriot Sunrooms spilled tons of gravel in our yard while pouring the foundation for an addition we were having built .Truckloads of gravel passed through the eastern portion of our lawn . These trucks spilled huge amounts of gravel into the grass. The trucks and subsequent heavy equipment used during construction compacted the gravel into our lawn killing a huge section of it. We attempted to contact them multiple times to repair it . They made virtually no effort to rectify the damage until we told them we were with holding the final payment . Also , they had not completed the work inside, but at this point we were willing to accept a credit for the incomplete interior work contingent on them properly repairing the lawn . We just wanted our association with them over with! Due to the fact they had taken so long to respond we contacted multiple landscapers . 4/4 landscapers said the gravel needed to be removed before repairing the lawn . Not one of them said they would guarantee the landscape repairs with a lawn filled with tons of gravel. Patriot finally arrived to do the repairs almost a year later from the initial complaint . They assured us contrary to all of the recommendations we had received from our landscape contractors that pouring dirt over the gravel and seeding it would restore the lawn . We told them this was not a satisfactory solution and that the gravel needed to be removed ! They finally agreed - came out poured the fill dirt and reseeded the lawn where they had damaged it . That spring the grass began to grow in a small percentage of the damaged areas . By summertime no new grass had grown in over 3/4's of the damaged area . We had our landscapers come out to take a look to make sure we were properly maintaining our lawn.They assured us we were doing everything correctly . Upon further investigation they discovered that Patriot had not removed any of the gravel , but had merely tried to pull a fast one! They went ahead and poured fill dirt over the tons of compacted gravel!
We had withheld 5k from the final payment on our addition . I wanted to do the right thing so i paid them an additional 2.5k while we waited on the grass repair . My wife was furious ! She said she didn't trust them and I should wait till the yard was restored. She was right they behaved in a dishonest manor attempting the cheapest repair possible ! Her distrust stemmed from several earlier instances during the project . The way the job was to be billed was in milestone payments .(ex.) This means a roof payment = 15k would be paid when the milestone of a completed roof was finished . An actual experience we had was this - We had received a payment demand for 30k + for the wall payment . We contacted there office and told them the walls had not been completed . They sent there project manager out to the job site - we clearly showed him the uncompleted work. He then tried to intimidate us into paying for the work not yet completed . The following week we received a call from there finance manager threatening legal action for non-payment . We said have at it! We have no walls - we will kick you off the job and countersue ! His response was" what do you mean you have no walls ?" I said we have no walls to which he replied " I'm so sorry I had no idea please send the payment when they complete the walls " . Two weeks later he called again demanding the wall payment . I said
" we still have no walls " he said they sell needed the payment. This was one of many such incidents that prompted our distrust in their honesty and integrity.

50% of the landscaping repair costs - total was approximately $11,000.00 . Completion of work on the interior of our home and all tax credit documents for the addition .

We are in receipt of the complaint initiated by Mr. and would like to respond to it with our honest opinion on this matter.
Patriot Sun rooms has been a member of the BBB for over 35 years and our goal has always been focused on our customer service and our record with the BBB. We feel that this complaint is not only unwarranted but it is untruthful in many ways.
We will keep this very simple in our reply and state that under no circumstances did we delay this project for any length of time, he did. Nor did we "behave in a dishonest manor" at any time and he was kept informed on our progress and our concern on his delay in getting the project completed. Several letters were sent to the consumers stating our concerns and follow ups on meetings we had.
This large project was contracted on 1/12/09 with an estimated completion date of 4/29/09. Due to the complexity of a project like this it could go longer but we strive to complete it a.s.a.p. We were stopped due to his kitchen project he started at the same time. The wall of the home could not be opened until the kitchen cabinets were completed that he had ordered.
Letters to the consumers include:
7/26/09 Letter requesting an update on the cabinets for his kitchen so we could proceed with our schedule.
9/2/10 Letter requesting a schedule to complete the project.
5/31/11 Letter to follow up on a meeting with Mr. we had on 4/11/11 and to request a completion date and access to the home to complete a punch list we received in the 4/11/11 meeting.
6/28/11 Letter to request access to complete the project.
9/15/11 Another letter to request access to complete the project.
12/6/11 Letter stating our concern for completion of punch list and items Mr. would not let us complete after we finally got access. Two items were not completed in our scheduled service with him.
1/20/12 Letter confirming a return date in the spring to grade, topsoil, seed and straw the area outlined in a meeting with Mr. . Also, requesting the balance of the project as he stated he would pay in the same meeting. Note: We returned in the spring and finished the two remaining items on his punch list. He was not home to collect the payment.
2/28/12 Letter requesting the balance due again and stating that we would begin the procedure of filing a Mechanics Lien if we had no response.
5/25/12 Final letter (sent certified and regular mail) stating that our grading/landscaping work performed on his home was done exactly the way we both parties agreed upon as per a previous meeting at his home with our concrete contractor and our job foreman.
Several phone calls were also made to Mr. between the letters either on follow ups or request to complete his project, very few were returned to us. Also, a very important point here, Mr. failed to mention in his complaint that AFTER we had installed the addition and BEFORE our meeting with him on his grading/landscaping issue, he contracted with other companies to install a large concrete patio and a large pond in the same area of our room addition thus resulting in damage to his yard.
We feel that the damage he insist that we did to the yard would not have been all of Patriot's responsibility and he is using us as an excuse to complain because we turned him over to a collection agency due to his lack of cooperation and broken payment promises. To our knowledge we were the only contractor who was asked AND did any repair to the yard.
Finally, we do not intimidate any of our customers for money as he stated. We write term payments accordingly to the progress of the job. We asked for them when they are due and if a term payment was asked for prematurely we would not have asked again until it was due. all payments from Mr. were agreed on by either a contract or verbally in scheduled meetings with him.
All supporting documentation is on file at our office should the BBB like to review it.
Sincerely
****** ******/VP

03/19/2013: Mediator left message for consumer.

03/26/2013: Mediator left message for consumer.

07/14/2014Problems with Product / Service
06/04/2013Problems with Product / Service
06/19/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

In January of 2013 we were told by the representative that by April they would be completed with our projects. Thus, it is June 9, 2013 and the first project is yet to be completed and they are asking that I pay the last installment of over 2,000.00 when in fact they have not even completed the project. Per the contract, we are to pay the last part of the total 26,000.00 project when they have completed it. We bought floor molding since they didn't complete it. I called *** *****, he came out to the properties, and he hasn't been forthright either. (owner) he was to have the company touch base with me to set up time for them to complete project, that failed. Then they left the room downstairs unfinished completely. When they poured the cement, they messed up my grass with mud tracks all through my yard, they said they would redo, but by the time that happens the grass would have grown back with indentations in my yard. Its been one thing after another. They even left the drain pipes undone during all of the rain I had to call them several times for that. I WILL NOT RECOMMEND THEM TO MY WORSE ENEMY. ON TOP OF ALL THAT, WHEN I ADD AN ELECTRICIAN WITH ME TO HELP DECIDE THE WALL WIDTH, *****...the receptionist HUNG UP IN OUR FACES BECAUSE I WOULDN"T TELL HER WHO WE WERE AFTER WE HAD BEEN CUT OFF ON THE TELEPHONE. *** ***** told me he couldn't make her apologize.... IT IS A FAMILY BUSINESS. I believe if I were of their ethnic family backgroud we would have received better services..... NOT A GOOD COMPANY.... JUST FULL OF SMILES AND LIES. I have pictures also if interested of how they left my yard and project.
Product_Or_Service: SunROOM 4 seasons and 3 season lower Room
Account_Number: 1566

They take the 2000.00 owed from the money they have as down payment on the lower room they have yet to start., then void contract on lower room, and they minus the concrete laid and refund the rest of our 6,000.00 we have already paid. I am tired of waiting and listening to their lies of propaganda.

I was shocked to read Mr.complaint stating he believes if he were of "their ethnic family background he would have received better service", I take that as a personal, rude and ugly comment. After forty four years in business this is the first time anyone has ever referred to me as being a racist!
In late April when I learned that Mr. had an issue with Patriot and one of our employees I personally became involved, I wanted to let our employee's and our customer, Mr. , know that I take complaints serious.
On 4/25/13 I requested a meeting with him and confirmed that per his request, nobody would work at his residence while he was out of town. We asked that he give us dates of his availability to meet when he returned.
On 5/10/13 when we thought he was back in town we emailed him again requesting dates to meet at his residence, on 5/13 he replied and we confirmed a meeting with him for 5/22/13. This delay from 4/25/13 to 5/22/13 was no fault of Patriots.
At this point in our construction we had term payments due for work completed of $2,392.00 for electric for the first floor and a term payment of $7,200.00 for the prep work (concrete) completed on the lower floor. We need to be paid these payments per our contract terms he agreed to.
At our meeting on 5/22/13 I explained to Mr. we could not install the lower floor walls until he had his hot tub installed and wired. (contracted separately with another company) His wiring was installed on 4/24 or 4/25. In that same meeting I explained that the downspout could not be properly installed until the lower walls were installed. I also agreed, in good faith,to grade, seed and straw the area that was damaged in the yard during construction although our contract/exhibit A clearly states that it is the responsibility of the homeowner for final grade of their yard.
It was also a good faith jester for myself and our production foreman to return to the job site on a later date to review the hot tub wiring that another contractor installed. I had concerns about it. Mr. asked that I put our discussions in writing and a price to finish the lower room.
In reviewing Mr. email on 5/31/13 I thought we were progressing on getting his project completed, It appears to me that when we asked him to bring his term payments up to date he decided to write a complaint with the BBB. If required we are willing to review a payment plan. All supporting documentation of our contract, exhibit A and emails are available for your review and will be faxed to your location. Please provide a fax number to send them to. You can email the fax number to *********@patriotsunrooms.com.
*** *****