BBB Accredited Business since 01/27/2012

M L K Construction LLC

06/20/2012Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Work was not as per contract. Tuckpointing was not ground out it was only skimmed over. Tuckpointing is now failing.
MLK Construction was contracted to rebuild the front parapet wall of my home 2 years ago which had failed. In addition they were contracted to grind and repoint the parapet walls down both sides of my home as well as the entire front of the house and exterior of the brick portion of the porch.

Not all of the front portion of the home was ground out an it is now flaking back out due to them only surface floating the mortar into the existing joints. In addition their use of muratic acid on my bricks has now scarred the bricks in some portions that they did. Also spots of the rebuilt parapet wall in the front of the home now have entire pieces of mortar missing that have failed. At this time there do not appear to be any immediate issues with the side parapet walls that were repaired. In addition a separate portion of the home was tucked top to bottom in the incorrect color at a cost of $500 that has already been paid.

Due to MLK Constructions inability to follow a contract and do the job as contracted I've contacted other masons to fix the work that he was paid to do. I do NOT want MLK Construction working on my home again. To correct the work that is failing currently the cost is going to be $2700 which does not include having to repoint the section of my home that was done in the incorrect color.

The total cost of restitution is $3200. $2700 to repair the work (I have multiple bids of which the high bid was $4000 and I didn't care for that crew) plus the $500 that was paid for work that was not done correctly on the side of my home.

MLK Construction was paid roughly $17,000 total to do the job the first time.

we were not even contacted until the same day he contacted the BBB. We had a great relationship with the consumer during the project and all work was approved by the insurance inspector and the homeowner. After notice of the complaint the owner of MLK contacted the consumer by email to go to the property to inspect the concern.there is a 2 by 2 area that was not ground out that we would take responsibility for which would be about $100 repair. the scarring of the brick was pre existing and we have pictures and all documentation to back it up. this job was finished in July 2010 and we feel this is a invalid complaint. We did rebuild the parapet wall and he requested decorative stone on the top of the wall. we advised him they were not roofing stone and he wanted them on anyway, this cannot be warrantied. we will offer $100 for the 2 by 2 section of tuck pointing that we take responsibility for.

6/12/2012: I alerted the business to side work issue right away in 2010 and the business said they would be out in Spring 2011 to fix it. I was done with them by that point and made no attempt to contact the business to see if they would come through. The business did not know about any other issues until the complaint was filed because I chose not to tell them till then. I will send a copy of my contract, the insurance inspector's report and a statement from third party company pointing the finger at MLK.

6/18/2012: Mediator left message for consumer requesting documentation.

6/19/2012: Mediator left message for consumer requesting documentation.

Contractors - General, Siding Contractors, Roofing Contractors, Contractors - Gutters