BBB Accredited Business since 05/18/2012

Approved Home Improvements LLC

01/27/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

assured us work would be completed in two weeks. It took over five weeks to rebuild the deck. Work was not completed. There was to be a final inspection within four weeks of completion. Inspection was never done. Boards are raising. Need fixing. GFI blew in less than three weeks- was improperly installed. Paint on shed was not completed. Lattice work on bottom of deck is coming apart.

We have called him 13 times. He has never showed up to correct problems and repair boards and lattice work and finish painting and replace or reimburse for GFI unit that we paid someone else to replace. We want this work corrected and completed.

Good Morning,

Approved Home Improvements, LLC would like specific information of what client states was unfinished per the contract and for which the customer has paid for.

Regards,

***** ********
Approved Home Improvements, LLC.

(1) The deck boards were improperly installed pulling up on the ends of each board. Boards are raised approximately 2/16 - 3/16 inches causing feet and snow shovels to catch on them. This occurred within three weeks of installation.

(2) The electric GFI was improperly installed. This installation was called for in the written contract. The wires were connected backwards causing it to trip an entire circuit inside the home. We had to have an electrician come out to the house to repair the situation and connect the GFI correctly. The GFI outlet powers the Portfolio Outdoor 120W Magnetic PowerPack that turns on the deck lights at dusk.

(3) The bead board (part of the written contract)installed at the southwest corner of the deck was not properly installed causing it come apart and pull away from the bottom of the decking.

According to APPROVED HOME IMPROVEMENTS, LLC contract, "All material is guaranteed to be as specified. All work to be completed in a workmanlike manner according to standard practices."

11/25/2013: No response from business. Three issues still exist. Business said anything within one year that went wrong would be replaced, verbal not written. I am frustrated that business will not return communications. Date of contract is June 26,2014, was completed about six weeks later. No document from electrician, cash deal with a friend. About the same time as other issues come up business sent a worker out to finish up some painting and told him about the issues. he said he would return but never did. I think we sent copy of contract, if not I can send.

12/16/2013: I doubt the boards not laying flat is an issue that cab be explained by the material. I would like to be there when business comes out to inspect. Generally I can make time whenever business would like to schedule it, except Tuesdays are generally not good for me.

12/16/2013: I am fine with wanting a littler longer in order to be present for the inspection.

01/13/2014: I have not heard a word from business.

01/15/2014: Between noon and 5:00 pm tomorrow works for me.

01/17/2014: Yesterday ___ and a manufacturer rep were supposed to show up and did not. ____ a deck builder who does business with Outdoor Living, over heard discussion about my deck, came out and said it is not a manufacturer problem, definitely a problem with the way the deck was installed, a mistake by the builder. he said he would take care of it and that he framing underneath is the problem. There are two support boards that were incorrectly put it causing the other boards to lift up and would also fix lattice work under the deck. He did not know about the GFI and agreed it should be replaced if it was incorrectly installed. Might be able to match the color of the shed and paint that. Business did come out to do painting for free but I offered to do it, it needed to match.

01/17/2014: Mediator left message for consumer.

01/17/2014: I find business proposal to be agreeable. I am willing to let Mr.___ do the work. I just want the deck fixed and the GFI refunded.

11/26/2013: Mediator left message for business.

12/03/2013: I want to know what consumer paid for that was completed. I have done a lot of things for this consumer for free. I did not receive consumer's response of 9/9. I will read it but not likely to do much more for consumer. No need to work on deck, it is all vinyl. It expands and contracts, nothing you can do about that. I have done so much for consumer, i could have her nephew testify at an arbitration. Had to buy paint for her shed, built it. Been out to the deck, have seen it and it is beautiful. I am willing to go back and look at it and take photos. I did go back and look at if before but did not notify consumer.

12/16/2014: I reviewed consumer response. The 2/16" difference is easily within the amount that they vinyl will expand and contract. I am willing to go out there with representation from manufacturer.

12/16/2013: I do not think it would be a good idea to have the consumer out there. Worried they will get in the way of me and manufacturer representative doing our work.

12/16/2013: If consumer wants to be there will make it difficult because we have to schedule in advanced with rep and may not be able to get out there before January 1.

1/13/2014: Mediator left message for business.

1/15/2014: Can meet with consumer and rep this week between noon and 5:00 pm.

1/17/2014: had rep go out and meet with customer finding one piece of trim is off so I agree to fix whatever the rep found. I will also reimburse consumer for GFI even thought did not manufacturer that and not our fault it went bad. I am not going to paint around the lock, did painting for free and consumer was not home to remove the lock to paint around it. I will do whatever the rep found needs to be done, but not any more than that. I am willing to go to arbitration if consumer wants more.

1/17/2014: Mr. ___ will have to put it in writing what needs to be fixed and when it is fixed consumer will sign off on it. I was indeed the person business specified to be out there. It will probably be me doing the work. Anything deck related will be covered by us. We still are not going to do more painting to shed, did that as a favor to consumer.

1/17/2014: Mediator left message for business providing update that consumer accepted proposed resolution.

Contractors - General, Fire & Water Damage Restoration, Concrete Contractors, Roofing Contractors, Chimney Cleaning, Construction & Remodeling Services, Storm Damage Repair