Southwest MO

BBB Accredited Business since 06/11/2008

Delta Roofing Inc.

11/08/2011Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: None of the Above - Repair Complaint Issue

Complaint: Delta failed to fix leak in our roof as agreed, promised to send someone out to fix but they haven't shown up and now Delta is not returning my calls.
My husband and I hired Delta Roofing to fix a leak in our roof in summer of 2010. The problem on our roof is in an area where two roofs slope towards each other creating a valley where the water is channeled along a vertical brick wall. Directly underneath this point is where we could see water coming into the attic above the garage from the roof. Delta Roofing came out to repair the roof on September 27th, 2010. Per their report they removed the shingles, installed ice/water guard in the valley and re-flashed as well as replaced some missing plywood . We paid them a total of $1850 for their services. A few weeks after the work was completed, however, it rained and we found more water in our attic. We contacted Delta Roofing. They sent out the original roofer who completed the work and he applied caulk sealant along the edges of the roof. Several more weeks went by and after another rain storm, the roof leaked again. The nature of the leak was such that my husband was able to get into the attic and see the water flowing into the attic. We noted that the roof only leaked when there was a rain storm with strong winds blowing west to east. When the wind gusted we could see a steady stream of water come in from the corner of the roof. When the rain fell straight down, the roof did not leak. We again contacted Delta roofing. After many phone calls they finally sent 2 men out. Once again, all they did was place more sealant on the roof and leave in less than half an hour. During the winter of 2010-2011 we had no trouble with water in our attic because there were no blowing rain storms. However, in the spring of 2011 we again developed water in our attic associated with rain and strong gusts of wind. This time my husband and I determined to find the source of the leak. By using a garden hose we were able to determine there were at least two places in the vertical brick wall where the water seemed to be coming in. We again contacted Delta Roofing. After 4 phone calls over a 1 month period someone showed up at our front door to look at the leak again. We described to him what we had done and showed him the problem areas in the brick masonry. He applied more sealant, this time higher up along the brick wall. He left after no longer than an hour. A few weeks later we received a bill from Delta Roofing for $150 for the work he had done. Apparently since the original work did not include work done on the brick wall, they felt it was necessary to bill us for the roofer's time. Around that same time it rained and we again found moisture in our attic, although not as much as we had been. I contacted Delta roofing, this time asking to speak to *****, the project director, directly. I informed him of what was going on and that the roof was still leaking, although not as much as previously. He promised to send ***** back out either the next day or the following week. This was 4 weeks ago. I contacted Delta Roofing again on Wednesday, October 5th. I left a message for ***** to call me and I am still waiting to hear back. Our complaints with Delta Roofing are as follows 1) We paid them $1850 for a major roof repair that did not fix the leak 2) Once informed that the work they had done did not fix the leak, they did not take the time to analyze the problem. Instead they sent someone out to quickly through some sealant up and leave. The responsibility fell to my husband and I to determine where the leak was 3) They have billed us for $150 for a second job which, again, did not fix the leak 4) After informing Delta roofing that their fourth attempt had not fixed the problem they promised to send someone out to address it. However, they have never shown up and no one has returned my calls.

Thank you for the notification and we are investigating the complaint and will respond to both you and the customer. I do want to let you all know that I never received previous notification of this. I went back through my old emails and I do not show any notification of a complaint. We would not have let it go this long without addressing it.

Thanks again & we will respond by Wednesday at the latest.

*****
Delta Roofing, Inc

Delta's response is unacceptable. The fourth attempt at stopping the leak, for which we were charged $150, did not stop the leak in the roof. My husband pointed out to the repairman, *****, the spot we identified with a hose as the source of the leak. ***** applied sealant close to that area but did not actually cover the spot we had identified as leaking. The work that he did, for which we were charged $150, did not stop the leak. Neither did Delta's previous 3 attempts at fixing the roof. At no point did anyone present us with further insight as to why our roof kept leaking or suggested further structural repair, all they did was apply more sealant. When the roof continued to leak after the 4th attempt, we contacted Delta roofing to inform them the leak was still present. We were told someone would be out the next day or following week to address the problem. This did not happen. When we attempted to call again, our call was ignored. Frustrated, we bought the necessary material to apply the sealant ourselves to the spot we identified and have had no trouble since that time, even after repeating our garden hose test. It should be noted that after our complaint was filed, Gene was sent to our house on 10-18-11. We did not permit him to do any work because we have perhaps fixed the problem and do not want to incur any further charges from Delta roofing. We asked for him to have his supervisor, *****, contact us by phone, but to date this has not happened. We understand Delta Roofing's policy of charging for the work done on 6/16/11 based on the fact that it was in a different site than the original work. However, neither this work nor any of the previous work they did, including the original repair that cost $1850, did the job that we hired them to do, namely stopping the leak. We do not believe we should have to give them an additional $150 for work which did not accomplish this objective, particularly in light of the fact that when we asked them to try again they did not arrive as promised or return our phone calls until after we filed this complaint.

Delta Roofing stands 100% behind that the work performed was the work proposed. Please remember, Delta Roofing did not install the roof on this house. We investigated a leak, found an area that was not installed properly near the leak and made an authorized and needed repair. This was done with the most sincere attempts of stopping the reported leak.
When you have a leak on a roof, that water can be coming in numerous places. A good roofer will make the most obvious repairs in hopes it takes care of the problem. If it doesn't, the roofer must go from that point repairing various options. Delta Roofing did exactly that. Once the roof was repaired we then started looking at the cap above the stone. This is where we started to apply commercial grade sealant.
We are sorry the ***** are not happy and feel they have been done wrong. We are a 40+ year customer oriented company and strive to be the best roofing company around. With that being said, we will remove the $150 charge in attempts of showing our sincereness of making the customer happy.
We do want to point out that the first we heard of this complaint from the BBB was on 10/24/11, which was after Gene had come by the ***** house on 10/18/11.

Roofing Contractors