BBB Accredited Business since 01/28/2011

R & D Lawn Care & Landscaping, LLC

08/22/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Our hydroseeded grass died in less than 2mon. R&D was slow getting to the job, issues w/ the quality of the work, and a slow response to our concerns.
We contacted R&D Mar13 about planting grass in our yard. ******* recommended hydroseeding & said he would personally do the job to make sure it was done well. (He sent 2 workers to do the job) When I asked how long it would take him to get to the job, he said probably 2days. (It ended up being 6wks) The estimate was $585. It was the front yard & part of the back. (5000sqft)
We don't see any fault on our part. We did exactly as ******* said. We applied Round Up as he said, watered as he said, waited to mow as he said, & applied weed killer like we were told. We were careful not to apply anything w/out first contacting *******.
As I initially expressed to *******, we aren't experts in lawn care. We were looking for a company to take that burden off of us & yet, I was the one who asked what I should do about the existing weeds in my yard before seeding. I pointed out from the soil test results that our yard needed more lime. We contacted him w/ the concern that the grass was not growing quickly & suggested adding more fertilizer.
There was a long delay in planting. He never contacted us during this time to explain his delay. I believe the grass was planted too late. It was 3wks after I applied RoundUp that the grass seed was put down. (Apr30)
We were not impressed w/ the quality of the work. ***, my husband, had to remind them several times about the details of the work ******* had said they would do. They didn't aerate the entire property. *** brought this to their attention & they aerated the other part but very poorly. They aerated 30% of the area they had missed. In the backyard which is fenced, the man went in one gate & sprayed the seed at least 50ft. There were bare spots. ***, again had to inform them that they were to overseed part of the yard. None of the grass in the spots that were overseeded did well because it didn't come into contact w/ the soil. In some areas, the mixture washed off before the seed germinated. The grass only sprouted in the holes created by the aerator. Also the seed seemed to be sparse in areas.
******* was very hard to contact w/ concerns. I believe his delay in responding caused the weeds to progress to a point where they couldn't be controlled. ******* came to see our grass Jun27, more than 3wks after we had expressed concerns about the excessive weeds.
Here are some details of our conversation on Jun27. He told me that the dead spots were the rye grass which dies off in 3months (it had been less than 2months since our yard was seeded). ******* remarked that our yard, "Looked like the other yards in the neighborhood." I pointed out that our neighbors had made no attempt to seed their yards. They were entirely weeds! In response to the weeds, he said that RoundUp just didn't seem to be working this year. RoundUp was the product he had recommended. Besides that, everything I sprayed died. I voiced my concern that maybe the weeds were so bad because the seed wasn't applied thickly enough. He dismissed the possibility. Lastly, He didn't look at my backyard which I informed him was the worst. ******* told me to use a weedkiller on the entire yard. I showed him the weedkiller I had but expressed the following concerns after reading the label: it was to be used on crabgrass up to 4in tall, the temp needed to be below 90 & it needed to be after the 3rd mowing. If these conditions weren't met the package clearly states that damage to the grass may result. Our yard didn't meet any of these qualifications! But I did exactly as he said. I applied the weed killer Jun29 & Jul13. We currently have no desirable grass in our yard. The weed killer killed some of the nutgrass but the crabgrass is still growing.
We would like you to stand by your guarantee. We would like to share our photos w/ you. I believe they will show that we killed all the weeds prior to application, the seed was applied too thin, spots were left bare, & the weeds were so thick that the grass never establishing itself.

We are not pleased with the work done by R & D Lawn Care and was I not satisfied with *******'s response when he came to see our yard. R & D's invoice states, "We further guarantee our hydroseed will establish itself when proper care and watering are provided." We would like you to stand by your guarantee.

Again, I want to stress that, I believe the photos I have will support what I have written. I also have more details than I could include here, if that would be helpful.

Our yard is in no better shape than before we had it hydroseeded by R & D, but I'm reluctant to go through this again with this company. This has been a headache to keep on top of and deal with. Because of this, my husband and I are asking for a refund.

We would like to be treated fairly and with honesty.

I did go out several times to lloook at lawn. But as I state with all customers we like to install n3w dirt when seeding so we get good results. When you use existing soil full of weeds its hard to get a good kill on roots . As with any s3eding contractor will tell you seeding is not 100 percent.we strive for customer service but when no warranty is sold then its hard to do work again for free. We would like have happy customers for years if customer would contact me we would try our best to help them out.

"No refund is offered it is sold. As with any hydroseeder they will not spray or can do for free."

We are not asking you to hydroseed our yard for free. We paid you the agreed upon price of $585. We are asking you to stand by YOUR GUARENTEE and take responsibility for the quality of your work.

"We did our work and if the lawn would have been killed good by customer spraying then would have not been so weedy."

Mr. *******'s original response to the problem of the weeds was that the RoundUp was not working this year. I sprayed EXACTLY like Mr. ******* told me to and according to the product label instructions. I also have photos showing the yard without any weeds, only bare soil, but Mr. ******* has not looked at those.

"No part in that statement does it say its a 100 % grow rate its seed. Seed is never 100% ."

I understand this. However, shouldn't it be better than 0%? Mr. ******* himself made the comment (at less than 2 months after hydroseeding our yard) that it looked like our neighbors' yards. They have never seeded their yards. They are all weeds!

"it takes at least 2 weeks so we can plant after being sprayed ."

I suppose this is Mr. *******'s response to his delay in seeding the yard. I'm not sure where this information came from. This is yet another thing that he never told us. According to the RoundUp label information and their customer service representative, the yard can be seeded 3 days after applying with RoundUp.

"I want every customer to have a good experience."

Mr. ******* keeps saying things like this and "we strive for customer service" but I am not seeing it in our interaction with him. We are not pleased with the work from R &D Lawn Care and I'm growing more frustrated with how they are addressing (or not addressing) the issues. I feel like Mr. ******* is not being honest in our communication. When coming to our house to see the yard, he never looked at the back yard which I clearly explained was worse than the front yard. He never requested to look at the photos I took of the quality of work done by his business. I also feel like he is simply saying what will make him look best to future customers. I hope this complaint will be carefully considered by the BBB and made available for future customers to read and decide for themselves.

No refund is offered it is sold. As with any hydroseeder they will not spray or can do for free. We did our work and if the lawn would have been killed good by customer spraying then would have not been so weedy. No part in that statement does it say its a 100 % grow rate its seed. Seed is never 100% . Pure live seed is what we deal with. I want every customer to have a good experience. And it takes at least 2 weeks so we can plant after being sprayed .

Landscape Contractors, Lawn Maintenance