BBB Accredited Business since 09/14/2007

Air Services/All Service

03/10/2014Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Under the guise of a "Maintenance Agreement," Air Services came to my home and shut off the gas without my permission. It was 18 degrees that night.
I purchased a "maintenance agreement" for our air conditioners (2) and furnaces (2) at the time I made a service call about a year ago. When they came to inspect the A/C as part of the agreement, they tried to sell me a new one using hard-sell coercive tactics, even though mine was working adequately. On Friday, February 7th, they came to perform the "inspection" on my furnaces. They informed me that they thought there was a crack in my heat exchanger and that they would have to shut my gas off, and cited some law and company policy. I told them they did not have my permission to shut off my gas and asked them to leave the premise. They proceeded to shut the gas off anyway, and refused to turn it back on when I requested they do so. The temperature was 18 degrees that night.

Since this troubling exchange, I have researched "heat exchanger failure" and have learned that there is no immediate risk from this issue, even assuming that what they "thought" was a crack turned out to be an actual crack. There is much more danger in shutting off someone's heat on an 18 degree night.

I feel that this policy is a SCAM scare-tactic designed to strong-arm customers less savvy than I into purchasing a furnace or an expensive part on the spot rather than getting a second opinion.

I will never, never do business with Air Services or their affiliates again, and I will inform everyone I know, both in person and on social media, that they should avoid this dishonest company like the plague.

A full and complete refund of the price I paid for this SCAM maintenance agreement, an apology, and a change to company policy so that this doesn't happen to some poor elderly person.

Contact Name and Title: **** ********
Contact Phone: **********
Contact Email: ****************@hotmail.com
To: Complainant ID# ******

Thank you for letting us know about your concerns that you have and we do apologize for any inconvenience and misunderstanding that you had. At Air Services we always want to do what is in our client's best interest. We understand that without our clients we would not be able to stay in business. As I understand we had our technicians out on February 14th to do a furnace inspection and cleaning on both of your furnaces. I would like to take the time to tell you what my technicians do on every call. First they turn on the system to make sure that it comes on and is running at the time we are there. Second is the most important part of a furnace inspection and that is a safety inspection of the heat exchangers. Our company has invested in the highest quality of equipment to inspect furnaces (Inspector Camera). We have done this so that our clients are able to see exactly what the technician is seeing at the time of the inspection. Most of the companies in our area use a very small non-infrared camera to do the inspection if they use a camera at all. According to the ******** *** *********** fact sheet regarding furnace heat exchanger leakage test that was published in December of 1986 they state "The first step in the test procedure involves a visual examination of the heat exchanger. ANY visible crack or hole discovered in this step is reason for requiring replacement of the heat exchanger or furnace". ******** *** *********** is the authority on this matter. We understand that Air Services is not the authority in this matter. That is why we also refer to another authority on how to properly check heat exchangers and that is the documentation book of furnace heat exchanger failure 4th edition. They state in section VIII "The Inspector, heat exchanger inspection camera (because of its extremely high resolution and micro lens) is the only device recommended in this book for international furnace inspection. I have attached the still picture taken from your heat exchanger so that it may help you in the future.
When our company finds a failure in a heat exchanger it is our policy to let the client see with their own eyes the failure we see. We also record all of our inspections so that a client can review these at a later date. We then let our clients know of the safety concern we have with their furnace. Even though there may not be any carbon monoxide leaking from the heat exchanger at the time of the inspection there is no way for us or our clients to know when it could start leaking or the failure get large enough to start a fire inside of the furnace. We would not want anything to happen to our clients or their families or have the liability if there was something to happen. So we do put the furnace completely back together when this happens and the only thing that is shut off is the gas valve located on the outside of the furnace and the electrical switch (SSU) located on the wall next to the furnace. We will not take the liability of turning the furnace back on and someone gets hurt or killed. The client has the right and ability to turn on the gas valve and electrical switch. This way it is the client's liability for the safety of themselves and others in the home.
As far as the high pressure sales tactics that you stated were used, I would like to apologize for any misunderstanding. We have never used or will never use high pressure sales tactics. We train our guys weekly and we repeatedly tell them to give our clients all their options and to not use any high pressure, EVER. So I will personally investigate that matter and retrain the technicians that were at your house.
We would love for you to contact us at the office and discuss any issues that you have and I am willing to even go back out and re-inspect your furnace for you. Please feel free to call me **** ******** the Service Manager or*********** the General Manager at any time to discuss this issue or any others you may have. (417) ********

They need to send my refund to *******************, Springfield, MO, 65809. I don't want to have to talk to anyone.

Since Air Services won't consider changing their policy, my next step is to contact the local news stations to ask them to investigate this coercive, dishonest and dangerous policy. I will also, of course, be posting negative reviews on every possible social media outlet warning consumers to stay away from this company.

Once again we are sorry for any misunderstanding that you may have with us. At Air Services we will of course give 100% of your Membership money back to you. We will always stand behind our satisfaction guarantee. Air Services has adapted to the standards that were given to us by the ******** *** ***********, and the EPA. These organizations are in place to set guidelines that ensure the safety of consumers. Air Services is following these guidelines. Once again I'm asking you to please give us a call and we would be more than happy to resolve this issue for you. (417) ********. **** ********, Service Manager.

Heating & Air Conditioning, Water Filtration & Purification Equipment, Heating Equipment, Heating Equipment & Systems Cleaning & Repair, Air Duct Cleaning, Duct Cleaning, Air Conditioning Systems - Cleaning, Air Conditioning Repair, Water Soft & Conditioning Equipment Service & Supplies, Water Heater - Tankless, Water Heaters - Dealers, Plumbing Fixtures, Parts, Supplies - Retail, Air Quality Service, Heating & Air Conditioning - Filters, Air conditioning & Heating Contractors - Residential, Water Heaters - Repairing, Sewer Contractors, Plumbing Drains & Sewer Cleaning, Plumbing - Renovation & Repair, Plumbing - Contractor, Plumbers - Commercial, Plumbers, Heating Contractors, Heat Pumps, Carbon Monoxide Detecting, Air Conditioning Contractors & Systems