Current USA Inc

2 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 2 closed in last 12 months

09/30/2015Delivery Issues | Read Complaint Details

On September 1, 2015 I placed an order with Current for 4 boxes of checks for my personal bank account under order #***********. I also ordered two sets of address labels under that same order #. The item #'s are: for the checks -**********; one set of address labels - #*******; and the other set - #********. I paid for the order using MasterCard.

On September 12 I received a telephone call from a woman that I did not know. She informed me that my checks had been delivered to her. The envelopes (4 of them) were all addressed to her name and her address.

I emailed Current customer service on September 15 and informed them of what happened. I received an email back from ***** on September 17. They said that they had to re-key in the order due to an invalid bank account number because there was a "-" in the account number and when they did so my previous address from an order that I placed in 2012 was inserted. I have lived at my current address for 24 years and I have never lived at or used the address to which my checks were sent.

I sent an email response that same day (September 17). I informed them that had never lived at or used the address to which my checks were sent and also informed them again that they had been addressed to another person. I asked them for a truthful explanation.

The following evening I received a telephone call from ***** in customer service. She again told me that the computer had picked up an old address of mine. I again told her that I had never lived at or used that address. I also again told her that they were addressed to another person and she sounded surprised. She then said that it was an error at the printer, that they send the orders to a printer to be completed. I told her that I had placed my order with Current, not with the printer and that they were responsible and she did agree.

I then asked if they have any security measures in dealing with customer's personal banking banking information they said that they didn't really. So I asked if anyone could order checks from them and then have them sent to a different name and address and she said no.

I requested an explanation of how this error occurred but I have not heard back from them.

I also did not receive my address labels and was told that they were sent out separately and that they were addressed to me at my address. I received two boxes from them today, September 22. One box had a plastic case and a roll of labels labels, the other box only had a plastic case, no address labels.

My primary concern is the manner in which this company is handling personal information that could easily lead to theft not only of money but also also identity theft and all of the problems associated with it. In communicating with their customer service, the response was basically "sorry, we'll send you a $5 coupon for your next order." I can't imagine how they could possibly think that I would ever order anything from them again.

They need to identify how this error occurred in the first place and then assume accountability and take appropriate steps to correct it.

Primarily I am seeking accountability on the part of the company as they deal with customers' personal and financial information.

I am also seeking reimbursement of $12.99 for the labels I did not receive and for the shipping fee of $3.99 since only one of the three items that I ordered was actually sent to me.

Current Catalog would like to apologize to our customer for the serious errors concerning her recent order, including checks. Our Checks Department has contacted the customer via telephone and email correspondence. The order has been refunded in full.

A computer system error downloaded this customer's internet order onto a different customer's account (the two customers happen to live in the same town.) Our IT Department is still trying to determine the cause for this fluke. We certainly do not want such a situation to reoccur. However, the order did contain the correct name and address, and would have shipped correctly to the correct customer. Unfortunately, the order rejected during the checks processing phase, and had to be manually rekeyed. At this point, the keyer did not notice that the name on the customer account was different than the name and address on the actual order. The keyer did not override the name and address on the new order, which was human error in not noticing the previous system error. We are very sorry for the situation that this oversight created. Current takes security issues seriously; we truly regret not meeting standards on this order and are taking steps for it not to happen again.

We refunded the set of address labels which the customer did not receive, and shipping/handling charges. We also refunded the full amount of the checks, as well as the balance of the order. Therefore, the customer received checks and one set of address labels at no charge. We believe the full refund was warranted due to the measure in which we breached the trust of our customer.
We hope that she will allow Current an opportunity to re-earn her business.

I am glad that Current has acknowledged that serious errors occurred in the handling of my order and that they have identified how the error occurred. However it seems as though they are rather missing the point of my complaint by twice mentioning in their response that they had issued a refund for the checks and one set of address labels which I did receive. I was not seeking a refund for the checks which I did in fact receive - but only due to the honesty and concern of the individual to whom they were sent.

My concern and objective in filing this complaint was to have them examine their procedures and take steps to ensure that it does not happen to others. I am hoping that they mean what they say when they write that they "are taking steps for it not to happen again." I feel that this was not the first instance of this occurring as the person to whom my checks were sent told me that she had a similar experience with this company. She said that she had ordered checks a few years ago but did not receive them. She related that she did not know what ever happened to her checks, but that the company had reprinted them and sent them to her.

I sincerely hope that Current will put security procedures into action to guard the personal and financial information that their customers entrust to them.

03/27/2015Billing / Collection Issues